smoking policy

audrey b

Just arrived home from a wonderful Baltic cruise on The Boudicca. However, as a non smoker myself I was appalled at the lack of facilities for those wishing to do so and the intolerant attitude of some of my fellow cruisers towards them. They were expected to smoke outdoors without any shelter from the weather, including the elderly and disabled people. On speaking to the hotel manager, he told me that the provision of suitable accomodation was being considered. Come on Fred, if you want to change policies then you ought to provide alternatives before doing so!

Why is it that I am now finding those who dont smoke more anti social than those who choose to do so!

PS Port of Tyne is a credit to The North East. By far the best organised and most friendly I have sailed from.

I beg to differ.I am a non smoker and really enjoy the fact that I can go to any bar or lounge onboard and not come back smelling like and old ashtray.

We were on Boudicca and I know for a fact that the people in the cabin next to ours were smoking in there as we could smell it outside the door.

There is also the safety factor to take into account too.What happens if someone is smoking in bed and falls aleep or just drops a cigarette and it causes a fire.Doesn't bear thinking about.

I spoke to a few smokers who thought that being able to smoke outside on the rear decks of the Lido and Neptune was fine and relatively sheltered.

This a topic I suppose will always have two sides to it.

I beg to differ.I am a non smoker and really enjoy the fact that I can go to any bar or lounge onboard and not come back smelling like and old ashtray.

We were on Boudicca and I know for a fact that the people in the cabin next to ours were smoking in there as we could smell it outside the door.

There is also the safety factor to take into account too.What happens if someone is smoking in bed and falls aleep or just drops a cigarette and it causes a fire.Doesn't bear thinking about.

I spoke to a few smokers who thought that being able to smoke outside on the rear decks of the Lido and Neptune was fine and relatively sheltered.

This a topic I suppose will always have two sides to it.

I agree, at least Fred Olsen has had the sense to do this. Lets hope other Cruise Lines follow their lead.

• 2 weeks later...

We no the risk we take when we smoke, but until the goverment admit that it is an addiction like drugs and alcohol and help people to give it up, we will still smoke, and if you haven't noticed pubs and clubs are closing all over the country because it was the smokers that kept them going, If you go in a pub now it has a few boring people sitting round with sour looks on there faces, who don't talk to each other, but go outside to the covered smoking area and you will find people chatting and making friends!!!

We no the risk we take when we smoke, but until the goverment admit that it is an addiction like drugs and alcohol and help people to give it up, we will still smoke, and if you haven't noticed pubs and clubs are closing all over the country because it was the smokers that kept them going, If you go in a pub now it has a few boring people sitting round with sour looks on there faces, who don't talk to each other, but go outside to the covered smoking area and you will find people chatting and making friends!!!

Ok so you are aware of the risks you take being a smoker but that doesn't mean that smokers have to inflict the same terrible consequences on us non-smokers.I don't think you need to be so stereotypical stating that non-smokers are boring,with sour looking faces.Maybe some are but no doubt they will live a lot longer than smokers....Anyway,I congratulate Fred Olsen on their no smokin policy.

Why should the Government help you, did they force you to start smoking ?

Also Pubs and Clubs are closing due to the recession or there reluctance to embace the ban and change.

Having said that there are to many around anyway.

Just arrived home from a wonderful Baltic cruise on The Boudicca. However, as a non smoker myself I was appalled at the lack of facilities for those wishing to do so and the intolerant attitude of some of my fellow cruisers towards them

Hear hear.

Non smoker myself, but who really can't see why some non-smokers have to be such sanctimonious prigs.

I'd rather be among smokers than around those making such a fuss about it. I can always have a suit cleaned, but you can't repeat an evening that has been spoiled by spoilt brats.

Hear hear.

Non smoker myself, but who really can't see why some non-smokers have to be such sanctimonious prigs.

I'd rather be among smokers than around those making such a fuss about it. I can always have a suit cleaned, but you can't repeat an evening that has been spoiled by spoilt brats.

It's such a shame that your lungs won't clean as easily as a suit.:eek:

Hear hear totally agree, on our last cruise all the smokers out side were joined by many non smokers as we had so much fun.

I dont condone smokers - I dont smoke nor do any of my family - but I have never been vebally insulted by a smoker........ unlike a drinker......I warn my "children" from coming out of pubs on their own at night - but not because of people who have been smoking but those who may have had "one over the eight".......

I dont condone smokers - I dont smoke nor do any of my family - but I have never been vebally insulted by a smoker........ unlike a drinker......I warn my "children" from coming out of pubs on their own at night - but not because of people who have been smoking but those who may have had "one over the eight".......

I am shocked: do you mean that all the problems in Prince of Wales Road are not caused by smokers:eek:?

Mary:)

I am shocked: do you mean that all the problems in Prince of Wales Road are not caused by smokers:eek:?

Mary:)

Ha ha! Will read the EDP very carefully on Monday (just in case there has been any trouble over the weekend in this fine City of ours), but doubt it will say "smoker arrested for causing trouble in Riverside, tests proved he/she had over 80% of the suggested limit of nicotine".........

Why do some people jump to conclusions - am not advocating smoking in public enclosed areas, just that some shelter should be provided for those who wish to do so. It's a bit hypocritical to sell cigarettes on board and then fail to provide smoking areas. Seems the majority of people using Fred Olsen are open minded and non judgemental, which is why I enjoy cruising with them. It's easy to avoid the others!!

Why do some people jump to conclusions - am not advocating smoking in public enclosed areas, just that some shelter should be provided for those who wish to do so. It's a bit hypocritical to sell cigarettes on board and then fail to provide smoking areas. Seems the majority of people using Fred Olsen are open minded and non judgemental, which is why I enjoy cruising with them. It's easy to avoid the others!!

Hi same thoughts here. PEOPLE were allowed to smoke in Balbom after 4.30pm till midnight on Black Prince. nice touch. We are going on Bouddica next year would be nice if there will be sheltered smoking area. I too love FO cruise line,

Chrissy

Archived