anyone use a zipr 3 scooter on board or otherwise?

Arwenmark

If you do, how do you like it? I weigh about 215 and it is rated 250 but I am wondering about power etc. and how it was on board especially.

I have a power chair, a reg size scooter and a folding wheelchair but have a chance to get a good deal on a used Zipr 3 which is only 19" wide.

Just wondering how people have liked them.

If you do, how do you like it? I weigh about 215 and it is rated 250 but I am wondering about power etc. and how it was on board especially.

I have a power chair, a reg size scooter and a folding wheelchair but have a chance to get a good deal on a used Zipr 3 which is only 19" wide.

Just wondering how people have liked them.

Have no experience with how the Zipr 3 performs. But just wanted to point out to you that the Zipr 3 does not have a flat foot/floor board. There is a large hump down the center of the foot/floor board. Check out the picture below . Depending on you what your mobility issue is , the hump might pose a problem getting on/off the scooter. Just wanted to bring that your attention. Personally I need a flat foot/floor board. That's why I went with the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler which is also 19" wide.

yhst-13787673511982_2071_26149102

Thanks, I don't think that will be an issue for me for the limited purpose I want this for. As I say I have a Pace Atlas Titan scooter and a Power chair, but both are too big for normal cabin doors.

I normally book HC cabins so no problem but when I book suites I do sometimes have a problem with doors. I can usually work around the bathroom issues if it is a suite with a good sized bathroom, does depend on the layout, but usually.

I am most anxious to see if anyone has one and how it has held up for them and if they are 'heavy' how it is.

I can walk some, but walking the ship is just too much for me.

As I say this one is a used one so kind of limited to what it is.

Hopefully someone will come forward with first hand experience.

You may already have this information but just in case, here's the link to the manufacturers website and to the product specifications. http://www.zipr.com/products_r3.html#

FYI the Zipr requires 30" turning radius . My Elite go go Traveler requires 32.5 " I'm able to drive the go go elite traveler through the doorway of an inside cabin and even do a 3 point turn and drive it out of the cabin door. Would think the Ziper3 would even be easier since it requires 2.5" less turning radius.

Good luck with your decision.

Hopefully someone will come forward with first hand experience.

You may already have this information but just in case, here's the link to the manufacturers website and to the product specifications. http://www.zipr.com/products_r3.html#

FYI the Zipr requires 30" turning radius . My Elite go go Traveler requires 32.5 " I'm able to drive the go go elite traveler through the doorway of an inside cabin and even do a 3 point turn and drive it out of the cabin door. Would think the Ziper3 would even be easier since it requires 2.5" less turning radius.

Good luck with your decision.

surprisingly my Pace full size scooter has a 32" turning radius as well but it is too wide to go through the doors.

My sister has this scooter. The only thing she has had problems with it, it does seem to tip over easily. She has gone down several times. But she is way more careful now. She loves it being so portable but wishes it was a little more stable.

She has never gone on a cruise tho.

Sherry

I found this post from about the Zipr 3 when I was looking for something else! It was dated 5/18/09. Hope it helps

DavidPatrick user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon7.gifFirst cruise with a scooter

We just returned last night from our first cruise using a scooter. Having read most of the questions and answers on this forum we were ready for the trip. We just did a Carabbean cruise 6 weeks ago and my wife was in so much pain walking that she did not thouroughly enjoy the cruise. On this trip we brought along her new this year ZIPR 3 scooter that weighs without using the arm rests about 95 pounds. It's wheelbase is only 19.5 inches and fit by more than 3 inches through the cabin door. By having the bed set up as two beds and pushing the end together we were able to drive the scooter around the ends of the bedds and park it next to the sofa. It was a very tight fit, but we made it. A few times she drove in while I stood in the bath doorway reaching out and holding the entrance door over, then she got off by the bed and I backed the scooter up against the door. We did this when we knew we were leaving soon. We went to Vegas before Seattley and the Alaska cruise to get used to the 3 hour time difference. We checked our bags at curbside with Southwest and drove the scooter through security where they wiped it down with bomb sniffing pads. This took a while. Our battery lifts out and saves 20 pounds in lifting the scooter into a car. We rented an SVU in Vegas and everyone everywhere couldn't have been more helpful in getting the scooter in and out. At the Seattle airport we discovered a Lincoln limo in the taxi line and as it was only 10 dollars more we used it to get to our hotel, to the ship and returning from the ship to the airport. The ZIPR 3 fits in a Lincoln trunk along with two huge suitcases and one carry on suitcase. At the ship we got in a wheelchair line and they couldn't have been nicer even letting us bypass one line and leave before our number was called. My wife was thrilled to run around the ship and shop etc. without being in pain. Only once did we have any trouble getting on an elevator. We were smart enough to bypass the crowds coming out of the evening show and scoot down the hallway to the middle of the boat and use the outside elevators. Our room was near the stern and we were able to always get an empty elevator on 8 deck to go down to dinner. I've read other people having elevator problems, but we didn't have any, except trying to go down to A deck for excursions as sometimes they locked out A deck on the elevators from stopping. We just went to a different set of elevators and had no problem. In Sitka we had to Tender to the port, we got to the tender ramp and there is another 2 or 3 person elevator there that brings you down to the level of the tender. The crew just lifted the scooter onboard and off loaded it at the port. Now all this may be possible because our scooter weights a lot less than rental scooters and most large scooter. We did have a small problem in our excursion to Burkhart Gardens in BC. I had checked with the excursion desk and they were going to call the bus company for an ADA bus. What we got was a London double decker, but the driver and I lifted the scooter up the 2 stairs and it sat next to the driver. They had put a sign on the 1st two seats reserving them for my wife and I so she didn't have to move through the length of the bus. I would rate the whole trip at 99.9 percent good as to bringing along the scooter. My wife would rate it 110 percent good as it gave her, her freedom. By the way if you do the Alaska trip and like gardening the 50 acre garden was spectacular.:):):)

Well I bought it and it seems really good though much shorter than I am used to and I would not want to use it in a crowd like Disney, not enough personal space around it, you would get peoples cigarettes in your face [the ones they swing in their hand as they walk, got burned by one once just under my eye] also would really have peoples butts in your face on this one. but for a non crowded situation it is good and does have enough power overall. I don't think it would handle hills well but I would not expect it too.

anyway I got it specifically for travel I use my others for everything else.

Thanks for the link though.

Well I bought it and it seems really good though much shorter than I am used to and I would not want to use it in a crowd like Disney, not enough personal space around it, you would get peoples cigarettes in your face [the ones they swing in their hand as they walk, got burned by one once just under my eye] also would really have peoples butts in your face on this one. but for a non crowded situation it is good and does have enough power overall. I don't think it would handle hills well but I would not expect it too.

anyway I got it specifically for travel I use my others for everything else.

Thanks for the link though.

Good luck with the new scooter. :)

Just a tip I want to pass along. If something falls while you're seated on the scooter and want to pick up it, make certain that you flip up the arm rest first . The most common reason for these light weight travel scooters to tip is when the user shifts all their weight to one side bending over the arm rest. With the arm rest up ( I have removed mine completely) you're less lightly to tip the scooter.

Good luck with the new scooter. :)

Just a tip I want to pass along. If something falls while you're seated on the scooter and want to pick up it, make certain that you flip up the arm rest first . The most common reason for these light weight travel scooters to tip is when the user shifts all their weight to one side bending over the arm rest. With the arm rest up ( I have removed mine completely) you're less lightly to tip the scooter.

No problem there the first thing I did was remove the arm rests. This is after all, all about being a narrow as possible for travel only.

Actually I was surprised that I did not find this scooter to be more tippy. I know it has anti tip things but that is usally just for backward. It has a very tight turning radius, 30" and I think if you tried to make a 30" hairpin turn that would be the time to watch out for tipping.

But then I have been using scooters for a LONG time now, and only once had a problem trying to climb a curb, [something the scooter WAS suppose to be able to do]

• 2 weeks later...

Climb a curb? How many inches high? 2" is the maximum my scooter can handle without getting hung up. My dream is to have a lightweight travel scooter that can climb an average curb or step!

Which scooter advertises that it can climb a curb? I know about the very pricey ibot wheelchair.

My husband's scooter is a rather large (heavy duty) one - four wheeler version. On the Freedom of the Seas the cabin doorways were too narrow for the arms so we just removed them. There are plenty of plug ins for charging the batteries. The ramp getting on the ship is pretty steep and with all the stop and go it is a real battery drainer. The glass elevators are too small to turn around in so you must either back in or back out. This of course causes a hugh round of heavy sighs but is workable. The Windjammer has multiple levels but the aft dining area has ramps but they pack the tables in there so tightly that the crew generally asks you to walk to the table and park your scooter so as not to block the aisles. The buffet area is pretty crowded and a little difficult to make your way through mainly because of the crowds. The entertainment area is accessible but they request that you stay in the back and not block access for others. It is not advised that passengers in wheelchairs and scooter go to the top deck where the runners are. They are really rude. The pool areas have so many deck chairs that there simply is no way to get to the pools on a scooter. The hot tubs have steps up to them so they are a little difficult to manage, and Johnny Rockets will not allow you to take a wheel chair or scooter inside.

Haiti is simply not scooter accessible. Jamaica has very few curb cuts and ramps to get inside the shops. Grand Cayman is slightly better and Cozamel is a mess if you use a scooter. If you stay onboard the worst part is that with a few minor exceptions, everything is closed when the ship is in port. All the shops, the maining dining room, and they even take the seats off of the stationery bikes in the gym.

I don't know if this helps or not but we will probably not do another RCI cruise electing the to use HAL which we have found to be much more handicap and scooter friendly. Good luck

None that I am aware of . The Ibot chair is the only device that can handle curbs as far a I know.

It was one made by Electric mobility and it did in fact call itself a curb climber. I had acually done some lower curbs before but this one was just too high and flipped the scooter. cobblestone street too, ouch.

hi mcall

good luck with the zipr, let us know if you have problems. i'm the karen from "scooter owners i need help" am a little concerned after that one lady said she had sooo many problems lol hopefully WE can report back that it a ok scooter lol

karen

Archived