Britannia - Special Food Requests

momay

Has anyone had experience in requesting special food items in the Britannia Dining Room? I have dietary restrictions and will need a large amount of vegetables at each meal along with with any type of protein. My husband and our traveling companion do not have such restrictions and want to eat dinner in the main dining room.

I realize if I would be able get what I need at the Kings Court, but want to participate in the 'dining experience' with my companions. Is this a request I would make with the dining room staff (who would be best) prior to any meals, or the time of each meal (this applies for both lunch and dinner)? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

This will be first time on a cruise for all three of us, we'll be on the Westbound Crossing October 19, 2010. Thanks so much!

Has anyone had experience in requesting special food items in the Britannia Dining Room? I have dietary restrictions and will need a large amount of vegetables at each meal along with with any type of protein. My husband and our traveling companion do not have such restrictions and want to eat dinner in the main dining room.

I realize if I would be able get what I need at the Kings Court, but want to participate in the 'dining experience' with my companions. Is this a request I would make with the dining room staff (who would be best) prior to any meals, or the time of each meal (this applies for both lunch and dinner)? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

This will be first time on a cruise for all three of us, we'll be on the Westbound Crossing October 19, 2010. Thanks so much!

On our last two cruises on QV we requested, and received, extra vegetables at dinner. This was only because we are rather partial to vegetables and not because of any dietary restrictions. We asked the waiter at dinner on the first evening, and never had to ask again. The extra portions of vegetables simply appeared at every dinner after that. I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with this.

Also, have a look at the "Personalise your voyage" section on the Cunard site - I'm fairly sure there's a section in there for making them aware of special dietary requirements.

J

Although I personally do not have experience of requesting special foods due to dietary restrictions, I know of several other passengers who have. They simply had a word with the Maitre d' of their restaurant as soon as they were on board and explained the situation to him.

The Maitre d' is there to ensure the complete satisfaction of all diners in his restaurant whatever their requirements, and he will discuss with you your particular needs and preferences. He will brief the waiters/waitresses at your table beforehand, and they will be more than pleased to serve you exactly what you require.

Hope that this helps and have a great voyage.

Regards,

David

Cunard ask that you let them know prior to your cruise if you have any special dietary requirements, so may be a good idea to do so, either direct or via your travel agent. It is advisable to do this: on our first cruise, I had no idea one was supposed to, and it was subsequently used as their excuse for getting it wrong (5 times in 10 meals), despite the restaurant staff being made aware of my problem on boarding. Having said all that, your problem is extremely easy to rectify if overlooked for some reason.

As others have said, you also need to speak to the Maitre d' as soon as practicable after boarding.

Mary

Contact Cunard prior to you trip and also speak with the Maitre d' of the Britannia dining room when you board. I have food allergies and each night the Head Waiter for my section brings me the lunch and dinner menus for the following day. I can then query any items I'm not sure about. They are most accomodating about various diets.

You all have been most helpful and certainly have made me feel much more at ease about making a special request. As Alycidon said, I knew 'special orders' were not part of Britannia service, but I didn't want to not book the cruise simply due to special food requests (and we really were not willing to book a higher class).

Cruachan, I'm not sure where to find the "Personalise Your Voyage" section on the Cunard website. I booked the crossing through my TA and am not sure how to 'find' my reservation using the website. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you David, we are so excited about the voyage, and I'm sorry about your poor experience Mary. I very much understand what you went through, and will be sure to do all of the prep work before we leave.

Regards,

MM

You all have been most helpful and certainly have made me feel much more at ease about making a special request. As Alycidon said, I knew 'special orders' were not part of Britannia service, but I didn't want to not book the cruise simply due to special food requests (and we really were not willing to book a higher class).

Cruachan, I'm not sure where to find the "Personalise Your Voyage" section on the Cunard website. I booked the crossing through my TA and am not sure how to 'find' my reservation using the website. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you David, we are so excited about the voyage, and I'm sorry about your poor experience Mary. I very much understand what you went through, and will be sure to do all of the prep work before we leave.

Regards,

MM

Go to Cunard.com - click on voyage personalizer (on the right at the bottom of your screen) - type in your name and booking number. You will then be signed in and can read your booking summary. There is a special requests section. Have a great trip.

On my first QM2 cruise a woman at my table had some fairly restrictive dietary restrictions. She spoke to the Maitre d' after boarding, and then every evening after dinner when coffee, etc. was being served he appeared and consulted with her. He showed her the next day's menu and worked out with her what she would have the following night. Sometimes this entailed an alteration of a menu item, and sometimes an alternative not on the evening's menu for the rest of us! The dining room/kitchen were very accomodating. Although this took the spontaneity out of her dinner choices, it did let her participate in the Britannia experience. His consultations with her were carried out discretely and she was very appreciative of his efforts on her behalf.

Thanks rrunner, I found it! How exciting, all of our information is there and I was able to fill in a few gaps. The special dietary section contained a few choices, but no where for free form text. The choice that best fit my selection was 'vegetarian', so I checked marked that one and then will also fax in more specific needs to the special dietary fax number a few weeks prior to sail date.

Thanks again to everyone, I really appreciate the time you all take to respond and to provide all the intimate details of the Cunard experience. I am having so much fun reading this board and anticipating our voyage, even though it's 1 year away; this is really half the fun!

Cheers!

MM

I am having so much fun reading this board and anticipating our voyage, even though it's 1 year away; this is really half the fun!

Cheers!

MM

And don't forget that the fund on here continues after you get back from your cruise. Stick around and have a laugh with the rest of us until it's time to go on your next cruise. :D

J

And don't forget that the fund on here continues after you get back from your cruise. Stick around and have a laugh with the rest of us until it's time to go on your next cruise. :D

J

...erm... save up for your own travels please - the only fund allowed is the fund of stories and wit from yourself, Gari and the others. :D

Just to agree with other posts: when I did a TA 3 years ago, one of our new-found tablemates had a restricted diet (low fat, very low salt) and the maitre d' came to him each evening to discuss the next day's menu. His travelling companions had no restrictions and there was never a problem. Enjoy, I'm sure you will!

As a vegitarian I find that I tell the Maitre 'd as soon as possible. From then on in every night I am shown the following nights menu to decide if I want the vegitarian choice of the day or if I would prefer to choose from the seperate vegitarian menu. The vegitarian menu is the same in the grills as Brittania and is actually the same every year I travel. There is one dish on it I love but in QG they served it anchored down with a dollop of mashed potato - I had to request that they NOT do that again as I have a particular aversion to mash.

I've travelled with the most frequent travellers on board a couple of times too and in Brittania they have suggested a dish to table mates which is not on the menu and then ordered it to be served up the following night.

If I don't fancy the vegitarian choice the first night out I always just ask for a plate of steamed veg. Never a problem.

As a vegitarian I find that I tell the Maitre 'd as soon as possible. From then on in every night I am shown the following nights menu to decide if I want the vegitarian choice of the day or if I would prefer to choose from the seperate vegitarian menu. The vegitarian menu is the same in the grills as Brittania and is actually the same every year I travel. There is one dish on it I love but in QG they served it anchored down with a dollop of mashed potato - I had to request that they NOT do that again as I have a particular aversion to mash.

I've travelled with the most frequent travellers on board a couple of times too and in Brittania they have suggested a dish to table mates which is not on the menu and then ordered it to be served up the following night.

If I don't fancy the vegitarian choice the first night out I always just ask for a plate of steamed veg. Never a problem.

Just to say that our vegetarian tablemates found the choice very disappointing and often not wholly vegetarian apparently (items served with parmesan cheese etc).

They felt that the choices didn't have the same quality as non-vegetarian choices.

Archived