Computers on Qantas

Mom33

I have read that Qantas treats laptops as carry on luggage instead of personal items and that they make you take out the battery to screen it. Can anyone who has flown from LA to Sydney verify this? Thanks:confused:

Just back last month. no battery check, just the ordinary out of the case for screening by TSA. On a related note the A380 has wi fi but it was not operational last month. I got the signal but there was no network name. Flight attendants were surprised that I got the signal but not alarmed. seems that Qantas hasn't firmed up its satellite contract for wifi yet.

Enjoy the flight.The A 380 has 110 powerplugs throughout the plane including coach, :cool:

Just back last month. no battery check, just the ordinary out of the case for screening by TSA. On a related note the A380 has wi fi but it was not operational last month. I got the signal but there was no network name. Flight attendants were surprised that I got the signal but not alarmed. seems that Qantas hasn't firmed up its satellite contract for wifi yet.

Enjoy the flight.The A 380 has 110 powerplugs throughout the plane including coach, :cool:

Thanks for the information about the screening. Was your computer considered a personal item or carry on luggage?

On Qantas (and other Australian airlines for that matter), computers are part of your carryon luggage allowance (7 kgs). Although Qantas, doesnt police that fiercely, they wont allow passengers to lug huge amounts of carryon bags onboard. Personal items are coats, hats, books etc. Qantas have little stands at the gate lounge where you may be asked to use it to measure your bag for acceptable size if you appear to be carrying half a house!

The budget airlines like Virgin, Tiger and Jetstar are more stringent about luggage weights, both carry-on and checked.

In the USA, I am always bemused at the amount of luggage people carry on board. Its just not the practice here.

At security screening points (for all domestic airlines), you are required to remove your computer from its bag and place it in a tray provided to be scanned. The need to remove your batteries stopped some years back.

Archived