Elevator Safety warning... pinch hazard!!

Ambercakes

I just got back from a wonderful 7 day cruise on the Carnival Legend. I just wanted to post a warning about something that I can imagine could have been A LOT worse than it was. I am a single parent and took my 4 yr old and 8 yr old with me on this cruise. We got on the ship with no problems but when we got on the glass elevator to head to our room, it was very crowded. We squeezed on, but in my excitement and honestly I just never thought about this (because we have ridden on elevators a ba-zillion times!), I didn't pay attention to where my 4 yr old was standing. He was right next to the door, which opened on the next floor. I guess he thought it was neat, and put his hand where it was opening, and the door took his fingers into the wall with it. His little fingers were stuck between the door and wall. We tried to pull them out, to no avail. There was a waitress on the elevator with us who ran out to get help. As we were waiting (and yes, my son screaming) I finally thought to push the door to see if I could move it enough to get his fingers out. It worked!! Luckily his fingers were just bruised, but this could have been a whole lot worse! We learned a valuable lesson, please please make sure your kids are not near the door! Something like this happens in a split second when you are least expecting it!

Excellent warning! I think as adults, we often forget that so much of what we 'just know' we had to learn at some point ourselves. Nobody is born knowing that if our fingers are just the right temperature so that they've got just the right amount of moisture to really form a bond with a cold, hard surface like that of an elevator door, they could grip it just well enough to be pulled into the opening with it when it moves... I mean, really... who thinks about that consciously?

It's always good to get a reminder once in a while that since our kids don't have the life experience we do, that means that WE are the ones that need to think about stuff like this.

Thanks for the heads up Ambercakes! I am also glad that it wasn't more serious. :)

Archived