Carnival Destiny Review; B2B 20th Anniversary Cruise

PaulMedik

Platinum card and number 7 debarkation. Apparently number 1 tags are randomly assigned or is it high numbers are randomly assigned to Platinum?

2407695000065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

While awaiting sail away we were entertained by a small vessel traveling through Oasis of the Seas future dock area;

2902510850065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

After sailaway time and after the gangways had been pulled in and the ship pulled away from the pier, a golf cart carried the last three passengers;

2571959600065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Father, Mother, and child;

2883620280065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Prior to actually pulling away from the pier there was around twenty or so people who were late and either ran or walked quickly to the ship. The family that arrived via golf cart arrived after we had pulled away from the pier. Why would two people with a child not take extra precautions and make sure they were back on board well before sail away?

At any rate, if you recognize these people, use small words and explain to them how things work. IMO, if not for the child, we should have maintained our course and left them;

2149628990065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Leaving Nassau;

2081407150065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Another view of Oasis of the Seas dredging project;

2655813320065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Nassau;

2333308290065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Your time dining questionair and debarkation info;

2389059150065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

My final evening meal;

2781892040065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Karen's light last evening meal;

2640239540065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

My least favorite sight on any cruise;

2380257090065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Debarkation was beyond fast. Destiny may have propulsion problems from time to time and may miss an occasional port, but they have debarkation down to a fine science. Numbers really are irrelevant. We used our number one tags instead of the number seven tags and our bags were alone in the number one area when we arrived there. All lines were open for ICE and the inspection consisted of 'Did you enjoy your cruise? Welcome home.'

We hailed a cab and were headed to Hilton Bently on South Beach in no time;

2067827750065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

The customary out the window pic of our ship;

2495075850065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Checking in at the Hilton Bently South Beach we discovered that we were famous for being the only people there who were not famous;

2395542960065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Our room was a corner studio suite;

2624541090065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

2289668710065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

View from our balcony of Government Cut;

2599594850065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Blue Lagoon is beautiful. If you don't mind my asking, how much did your excursion cost? We will be in Nassau in May and haven't been able to figure out a tour.

thanks.

LOL, Deb...was just going to ask that myself! And was it an independent tour? Do you have any idea how the snorkeling is there?

Paul, thanks so much for coming back and finishing this review...you do such a wonderful job!

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We will be on the Destiny on her Eastern route next August. Your review promted me to book a Spa deck balcony as well! We also plan on going to Blue Lagoon and possibly renting a cabana at HMC.

Congrats on 20 years! We just hit 15 and celebrated with a cruise. It's a perfect way to celebrate a marriage!

Blue Lagoon is beautiful. If you don't mind my asking, how much did your excursion cost? We will be in Nassau in May and haven't been able to figure out a tour.

thanks.

hill6,

The taxi over to Paradise Island Water Taxi Terminal was ~$15 as I recall. The Blue Lagoon Beach Break cost $90 for the two of us and there was no return taxi cost since the water taxi returned us directly to the pier.

When we return to Nassau we'll be doing Blue Lagoon Dolphin swim with our boys which also includes use of the beach. Hopefully they won't mind the tour we walk them on while telling them how it used to be way back when..... :o

One thing I didn't mention was how inquisitive the staff was at Blue Lagoon about how it used to be once they found out we had been there two decades earlier. From speaking with the staff it was obvious that their manager was instilling a sense of ownership in each of them by sharing his vision for the future as well as memories of the island's past. Every staff member we encountered was eager to hear about how we would compare the current experience to the way it used to be. They also asked what we thought would help bring back the ambience and attraction that once existed there. My advice was to follow their current plan of offering exposure to more than one attraction at a time and to continue the rustic development as needed. Once the sand returns to the back side of the island and they have more of an open vista for beach / sun worshipers, they will be finished in terms of restoring the former attraction of the island. Mother Nature took the sand away quickly and will take her time returning it. I should add that if you did not see the island before it was split in two by a hurricane, you will not miss it; the island still has great potential and is a great experience as it is IMO.

LOL, Deb...was just going to ask that myself! And was it an independent tour? Do you have any idea how the snorkeling is there?

Paul, thanks so much for coming back and finishing this review...you do such a wonderful job!

Irishlinny,

Thank you. This review has been by far my worst in terms of coordinated and timely information. The website issues from a few weeks ago seem to have been corrected, but luckily ONLY for me the frustration of losing post after post to the bowels of the internet was offset by the enjoyment I relived by reflection on all that we did and experienced. I wish the experience of calm, relaxing, bliss could have been conveyed more eloquently, but alas the internet has yet to perfect transference of feelings. Each day that I sat down and typed up a post only to have it disappear once I hit submit, I relived that day all over again! It was hard to remember to copy and save everything before hitting submit which was the only way I could actually post while being so relaxed. It literally felt like trying to answer an email while sitting on my ship balcony! That's very hard to do. :D

Yes, Blue Lagoon is now independent. It used to be offered via ship's excursion, but apparently the kickbacks are better from Atlantis for the dolphin encounter.

The lagoon snorkeling is best across from the beach near the rocky area and near the lagoon entrance. The life guard was very excited while talking about an octupus he spotted while snorkeling the previous week. He also mentioned quite a few other sea critters, but my knowledge ends at 'wow, that's a pretty fish,' so I didn't commit the names to memory. He also advised of some critters that were not safe to step on in the area near the rocks so I simply didn't step on anything other than sand because I didn't know what they looked like. He did mention their names but.....:confused: Sea Urchins maybe?

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We will be on the Destiny on her Eastern route next August. Your review promted me to book a Spa deck balcony as well! We also plan on going to Blue Lagoon and possibly renting a cabana at HMC.

Congrats on 20 years! We just hit 15 and celebrated with a cruise. It's a perfect way to celebrate a marriage!

pokergirl34,

Thank you.

I hope I adequately described what to expect from the Spa balconies. We enjoyed them, but they are far from ordinary balcony cabins.

Congrats on 15! A cruise is most definately the perfect celebration for such an occasion.

hill6,

The taxi over to Paradise Island Water Taxi Terminal was ~$15 as I recall. The Blue Lagoon Beach Break cost $90 for the two of us and there was no return taxi cost since the water taxi returned us directly to the pier.

When we return to Nassau we'll be doing Blue Lagoon Dolphin swim with our boys which also includes use of the beach. Hopefully they won't mind the tour we walk them on while telling them how it used to be way back when..... :o

One thing I didn't mention was how inquisitive the staff was at Blue Lagoon about how it used to be once they found out we had been there two decades earlier. From speaking with the staff it was obvious that their manager was instilling a sense of ownership in each of them by sharing his vision for the future as well as memories of the island's past. Every staff member we encountered was eager to hear about how we would compare the current experience to the way it used to be. They also asked what we thought would help bring back the ambience and attraction that once existed there. My advice was to follow their current plan of offering exposure to more than one attraction at a time and to continue the rustic development as needed. Once the sand returns to the back side of the island and they have more of an open vista for beach / sun worshipers, they will be finished in terms of restoring the former attraction of the island. Mother Nature took the sand away quickly and will take her time returning it. I should add that if you did not see the island before it was split in two by a hurricane, you will not miss it; the island still has great potential and is a great experience as it is IMO.

Irishlinny,

Thank you. This review has been by far my worst in terms of coordinated and timely information. The website issues from a few weeks ago seem to have been corrected, but luckily ONLY for me the frustration of losing post after post to the bowels of the internet was offset by the enjoyment I relived by reflection on all that we did and experienced. I wish the experience of calm, relaxing, bliss could have been conveyed more eloquently, but alas the internet has yet to perfect transference of feelings. Each day that I sat down and typed up a post only to have it disappear once I hit submit, I relived that day all over again! It was hard to remember to copy and save everything before hitting submit which was the only way I could actually post while being so relaxed. It literally felt like trying to answer an email while sitting on my ship balcony! That's very hard to do. :D

Yes, Blue Lagoon is now independent. It used to be offered via ship's excursion, but apparently the kickbacks are better from Atlantis for the dolphin encounter.

The lagoon snorkeling is best across from the beach near the rocky area and near the lagoon entrance. The life guard was very excited while talking about an octupus he spotted while snorkeling the previous week. He also mentioned quite a few other sea critters, but my knowledge ends at 'wow, that's a pretty fish,' so I didn't commit the names to memory. He also advised of some critters that were not safe to step on in the area near the rocks so I simply didn't step on anything other than sand because I didn't know what they looked like. He did mention their names but.....:confused: Sea Urchins maybe?

Thanks for the info. I just did some research and unfortunately it says that Private Beach Days are not available for there on Thursday which is the day that Irishlinny and I will be there on the Miracle. But I will email them and ask them what is available on Thursdays.

Thanks for the info. I just did some research and unfortunately it says that Private Beach Days are not available for there on Thursday which is the day that Irishlinny and I will be there on the Miracle. But I will email them and ask them what is available on Thursdays.

Deb, what are we doing, following each other around the boards here?? LOL! I just found that information last nite...was very disappointed to hear the beach is closed Thurs and Sun. But the animal activities are not closed....I find that very strange:confused:

But Paul, we will definitely keep this in mind for the next time we hit Nassau...it looks like a beautiful and relaxing place, and that's what we're usually looking for!

I hear you about the board issues...OMG, there was a period there where it was really ridiculous! I can't imagine trying to do a review the scope of yours while that was happening:eek: But we all appreciate your efforts...it's always a joy to read them!:)

Thank you.

Liz,

We really enjoyed meeting you and Steve. Stay tuned for many pics of the two of you; The Half Moon Cay pics turned out GREAT! I'm sure you will get a kick out of them.

We made it home the next day just before noon, but we spent the day in Miami soaking up some more sun.

bsdmhutch,

Thank you.

I flew out of Charleston for Critical Care Air back the nineties. Sometimes I swear air bubbles were visible the fog was so thick! Interesting landing is an understatement; several landings were made without seeing any ground at all! If not for IFR, we never would have made it and I am not a fan of IFR.

After we arrived at the port and found no lines we expect to see some inside. We saw no lines inside either! We went to the VIP boarding area and had to delay the employees there in order to take a picture;

2377176390065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

After presenting my credit card and receiving our S&S cards we received one last form to complete. The first area of the form was about children under the age of 18 and I had to slash through that area which seemed odd. The next area of the form required me to lie to avoid seeing the ships doctor immediately upon boarding; the form asks if I or anyone close to me has been in contact with a confirmed H1N1 infected person. I lost count of how many H1N1 infected persons I had been in close contact with. I don't even check anymore to see if they are H1N1 infected after I test them in triage. I prefer not to lie, but in this case it would have been pointless to answer truthfully because I know I have tested more people than the people who would be testing me had tested so why bother? It was nice to see that steps are being taken to protect the cruise population, but health care providers need an exemptive statement so we aren't forced to lie. I did struggle with the answer, but I looked at Karen and she said just choose No, so I did. Sometimes it makes sense to listen to your wife!

Anyhow, here's the form that forced me to lie (and forced me to take a picture at the desk in VIP boarding which is also a taboo thing) ;

2048174940065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

After completing our boarding info we got our embarkation photo taken;

2589402770065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

I had heard a lot about the new quick check in kiosks in Miami and hoped to try them out. VIP doesn't have them so I was relegated to just getting a pic of them as we passed by above them;

2040369310065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

I stopped and got a zoomed pic, but I had to blur it because private info is visible of those who were using the kiosks. At first glance the kiosks look like slot machines for the waiting area;

2512378670065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

\

That was very nice of you. Most people wouldn't have even thought about the personal info being shown on the kiosk. I know I wouldn't have thought about it, but then again, I do not have the identity theft thoughts.

Thanks for your review Paul. I always enjoy hearing what you have to say in your reviews.:D

Deb, what are we doing, following each other around the boards here?? LOL! I just found that information last nite...was very disappointed to hear the beach is closed Thurs and Sun. But the animal activities are not closed....I find that very strange:confused:

But Paul, we will definitely keep this in mind for the next time we hit Nassau...it looks like a beautiful and relaxing place, and that's what we're usually looking for!

I hear you about the board issues...OMG, there was a period there where it was really ridiculous! I can't imagine trying to do a review the scope of yours while that was happening:eek: But we all appreciate your efforts...it's always a joy to read them!:)

Linda

I have been following Paul's post since he started this great review. He went on the same itinerary as us. He provided lots of great information to us.

Hilton Bently South Beach poolside lounge chairs;

2338498770065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

And the more comfortable beds too;

2629250580065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

We opted for beach front chairs for the day;

2253094910065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

For some reason the upscale hotel pools seem to be for looks only, but I tried it out;

2520162430065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

We headed North to South Beach and ate at Fresh on Fifth. They have an interesting way of placing orders for food that I didn't figure out. We should have walked the additional ten blocks to Jerry's Famous Deli;

2686812200065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

We then headed down to Government Cut to watch the ships sail away;

2870905750065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

The largest bottle of water I've ever been served;

2015953350065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

They offered a selection of water that included choices from everywhere and of every type. Water is water I thought...their opinion differs.

We weren't even slightly hungry but they brought the best rolls I've ever eaten so I ordered an appetizer similar to Conch;

2793177610065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Soon the ships were coming;

2670295980065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Triumph;

2939566340065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

The then largest ship in the world Liberty of the Seas;

2812699300065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Ladder art? ;

2294951760065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Our favorite ship Carnival Liberty;

2599131920065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Our favorite area of our favorite ship;

2514808820065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Our shadows kissing;

2021328410065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

NCL leaving Government Cut;

2236713250065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

View of Goverment Cut from out hotel window;

2705860940065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Sunset over Miami from out hotel balcony;

2092005180065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

If you ever get a chance to stay at Hilton Bently South Beach, do it. It's location can't be beat for watching the ships and it's actually South of South Beach's main area where all the action is. Get a corner studio suite. It makes for the perfect hotel stay to cap off a perfect anniversary cruise;

2848509520065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

We flew out of Miami bright and early the next morning back into Charleston where Karen's vehicle was parked right out front after being feshly detailed inside and out. The detail cost was less than parking it at the airport for two weeks.

We drove home, dropped our luggage off and headed to Britt's football game. Britt is number ten warming up;

2475581510065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Thank you all for following along on this rambling review of our cruise. I must say I had more anxiety over going on this cruise simply because of our boys being left at home, but it turned out to be our best vacation ever. I know many of you parents are thinking about cruising as a couple and I know the thoughts going through your head. My advice is to just do it and see how it works for you. We aren't planning another cruise alone for at least eight or more years and even though we enjoyed this one tremendously, I doubt our next cruise alone will be quite as good.

Carnival Liberty was our first cruise this past January and she was the one that hooked us. She is beautiful.

We wished we had time to stay in Miami to explore after our cruise but even with our next B2B we are flying in one day in advance late at night and at the end off the ship and to the airport.

Maybe in the future we will go earlier and explore then board a ship for a cruise....absolutely beautiful shots, really captures the ambiance of Miami...well the little I saw of it during a quick morning walk around the hotel!

Thanks Paul for this wonderful journey that you and Karen had to celebrate your anniversary. Your review is well written and your pictures are tremendous.

You helped me so much with the Destiny cruise that I just took and now I have lots of info on Half Moon Cay that I have never been to before but will visit in May.

Paul,

Thanks for the great review and pics. My wife and I are sailing on the Destiny on January 16th and have booked a Spa Cabin. Overall were you satisfied with the cabin and would you stay in one again? We are first time cruisers and of course I didn't find this site until after I booked. Overall almost everything I have read has been positive regarding the Destiny and we are hopeful that our first cruise is a great one.

Thanks again,

Dave

Carnival Liberty was our first cruise this past January and she was the one that hooked us. She is beautiful.

We wished we had time to stay in Miami to explore after our cruise but even with our next B2B we are flying in one day in advance late at night and at the end off the ship and to the airport.

Maybe in the future we will go earlier and explore then board a ship for a cruise....absolutely beautiful shots, really captures the ambiance of Miami...well the little I saw of it during a quick morning walk around the hotel!

fredman,

Miami is addicting; once you spend some time there you will want to return again and again.

Thanks Paul for this wonderful journey that you and Karen had to celebrate your anniversary. Your review is well written and your pictures are tremendous.

You helped me so much with the Destiny cruise that I just took and now I have lots of info on Half Moon Cay that I have never been to before but will visit in May.

hill6.

Thank you. Half Moon Cay will make your day!

Thanks Paul for a wonderful review. I enjoy reading all of your threads.:)

dab141,

Thank you.

Paul,

Thanks for the great review and pics. My wife and I are sailing on the Destiny on January 16th and have booked a Spa Cabin. Overall were you satisfied with the cabin and would you stay in one again? We are first time cruisers and of course I didn't find this site until after I booked. Overall almost everything I have read has been positive regarding the Destiny and we are hopeful that our first cruise is a great one.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave,

Yes the Spa Cabin was satisfying and we'd stay in one again in a heart beat. The only cabin I like better is aft wraps. If given a choice between suite and a spa cabin, I'd choose spa cabin for the location. Location really outweighs room size in my opinion. Our favorite location on Conquest Class or similar has always been Panorama / Lido / Spa.

Choosing between any cabin vs aft wrap is an easy choice for aft wrap; aft wraps aren't in the best location, but they have their own deck so why would I need to be near a public deck? ;)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review....have been a loyal Princess cruiser....with my first non princess cruise last summer....went with RCCL....and although we had a great time...I missed some things from Princess....and it looks like Carnival may not be as different....!

Again....this was an amazing review!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived