help my nerves :)

jellyfish98

Hello; I got certified over the summer and have been doing local quarry dives, but nothing with serious current. So what should I expect diving in Cozumel? This is the first time I’m diving with out my dive shop or a familiar buddy. Also should i bring my BC, REG, Computer, Mask, and Fins?

Thank you,

Sean

countdown.pl?name=Jellyfish98&date=10-31-2009&image=Beach-10&text=&ship=Enchantment of the Seas

Hello; I got certified over the summer and have been doing local quarry dives, but nothing with serious current. So what should I expect diving in Cozumel? This is the first time I’m diving with out my dive shop or a familiar buddy. Also should i bring my BC, REG, Computer, Mask, and Fins?

you get current in your quarry????

1. Congrats on your certification. It sounds like your did it up north and inland so stand-by for what diving is all about!

2. Cozumel.... most of the diving is boat & drift diving and it sounds like this might be your first experience with both BOAT diving and DRIFT diving. You should probably try to mention this to the dive master as they try to hook you to a buddy. Best bet wuld be to buddy with the dive master on the dive (assuming they actually will go down with you but THAT's another discussion)

3. As a new diver I'd assume you'd be most comfortable with your own gear. In order I'd bring Mask, Reg', BC, Fins, et al ....

the cruise will contract with a dive shop so yes mention to the DM on the boat. They will (should) ask about buddy teams and in all likelyhood you'll be alone (lest you meet another diver on the way over) so if you have connected B$ this time you could hopefully hang with the DM.

Don't sweat it .... we're all new once but be sure the DM knows it so they can pay extra attention.

If SUPER lucky, you might find a very experienced diver willing to look after you .... I would ... but that depends on you communication skills

We got certified in a water-filled sand pit in KS where the FOP trains (DH is police and got our test dives scheduled there) so our first real open water AND boat dives were in Cozumel. We went with a small operator and she knew we were brand new and that I was nervous. She took very good care of us. I was not prepared for a back-roll entry off the side of her boat - freaked me out a bit but now it's really my preferred entry way :D Another thing I learned is that I'll get sea sick on small boats so Bonine is a MUST for me each time I do a boat dive. So, small operator, good communication and Bonine are my recommendations! :o

Thank you,

Sean

countdown.pl?name=Jellyfish98&date=10-31-2009&image=Beach-10&text=&ship=Enchantment%20of%20the%20Seas

Probably wamer water and better visibility. I'm sort of in the same position as Coz will likely be my first dive after my cert class is over Sunday. I booked with Alison and told her (via e-mail) that we (group of 5) are NEW divers.

So what should I expect diving in Cozumel?
There will be current, but most likely it won't be strong. More like a gentle breeze, just underwater. You'll dive as a group and everyone will just drift along as a group. It shouldn't be anything to be nervous about. The current actually makes the diving easier. You don't have to fin much, everyone goes the same direction, and you don't have to navigate because the boat follows you. Live boat pickup is the best.

The advice to tell the DM your experience level is spot on.

The real decision you have to make is if you are going with the ship's dive excursion or are you going to make your own arrangements to dive with one of the small boat operators.

My opinion is you'd have a better time if you make your own arrangements. It isn't a big deal to take a taxi to the Calete (harbor) to meet the dive boat. You get a decent (1 hour+) surface interval at one of the beach clubs, not bobbing around on the surface for 45 minutes.

Some operators I'd recommend:

Also should i bring my BC, REG, Computer, Mask, and Fins?
Yes. In order of importance: Mask, Computer/Reg package (unless your computer is wrist mount, then bringing that is a no brainer), good fitting wetsuit, BC.

Remember,

It is all mind over matter, if you do not mind, it does not matter!

The drift diving in Cozumel is wonderful. The diving itself is great and the 'drift' part of it makes for a nice relaxing dive....almost no finning! Kind of like a lazy river at a water park, but underwater.

One pointer...Ear Clearing!! If this is going to be your first dive, make sure you practice your ear clearing! With the drift dive, you usually do a giant stride and a fast descent so everyone can stay together. If you are not a quick clearer, practice practice practice!

I would not worry about going with RCCL. Sure the boats are a little more crowded, but without a buddy going with you, you have the ability to meet your dive group before hand while you're waiting for the operator. I know that the independant operators are much better, but as a novice, my personal recommendation would be to take the tour operator. One less thing to worry about.

We dove with the operator for Celebrity (sorry don't remember who it was), but they were wonderful. Only took 12 people and split us up into 3 groups. My suggestion would be to ask if the tour desk at RCCL to contact the tour operator and arrange for your own DiveMaster & the cost.

Bruce is Spot On in his recommendation of equipment. My only difference would be a skin instead of a wetsuit.: Mask, Computer/Reg package (unless your computer is wrist mount, then bringing that is a no brainer), good fitting wetsuit, BC.

Relax & Enjoy. Remember, you are responsible for yourself and your buddy. Know your limits and watch them!

Couple of other points that haven't been mentioned.

I am assuming the quarry is fresh water......you'll be more bouyant in salt water, so you should need a bit more weight than you usually use.

Also, it is a good idea to get whatever exposure suit you decide on wet before putting it on. If you don't get cold easily, a skin should be sufficient. We use a .5mil full skin there.

Since these will be your first dives off a boat into current, anything you can do to help get you down to the bottom easier will be of benefit.

I got certified in a lake here and my first ocean dives were in Cozumel years ago and it is still one of my favorite places to dive.

I agree that being by yourself and being the first time, I would go with the ship excursion just for ease since you are not arriving until 10. Most operators are off to the dive sites by 8:30 in the morning, so it will be next to impossible to arrange something. One other option would be to check on the Roll Call for your cruise & see if you can hook up with some other divers. That could open up the option of arranging a private charter with someone like Dive w/Martin. They will do a private for 4 divers for around $300. That would take the time issue out of the piicture.

Whatever you decide, enjoy yourself!

Mike

http://gallery.me.com/csealove

Bruce is Spot On in his recommendation of equipment. My only difference would be a skin instead of a wetsuit.: Mask, Computer/Reg package (unless your computer is wrist mount, then bringing that is a no brainer), good fitting wetsuit, BC.

Great suggestion to practice clearing before entering the water.

Bruce always dives in a wetsuit, except when he is diving in his drysuit. Bruce gets cold easily.

Everyone's thermal tolerance is different, but even if the water was really warm, a skin is highly recommended for solar and "pokey thing" protection.

Great suggestion to practice clearing before entering the water.

Bruce always dives in a wetsuit, except when he is diving in his drysuit. Bruce gets cold easily.

Everyone's thermal tolerance is different, but even if the water was really warm, a skin is highly recommended for solar and "pokey thing" protection.

there was a time when an experienced Carib' dive master looked side eye'd at any diver on their first day with a wet suit:

1. Our water is warm and most folks dive with out one

2. This nimrod has never dove the Carib and may be on their first open water dive since buying $5000 worth of gear from the shop that "certified" them last week . . .

you might think about this and quietly disprove it . . .

On a Cayman trip a few years back we were on our 3rd or 4th day on the boat's morning trip when a new couple showed up. The new couple donned 1/4 inch wet suits including hoods and about 20 pounds of weights b4 we'd left the dock. For a 20 minute boat ride....to a site with 85 degree water. Their first day ........

a. ain't that suit gonna get hot b4 we get there?

b. too much weight is a bitch on the wall .. bottom 800 feet plus . . .

Bruce was quite comfortable in 84 f water in his 3 mm full suit (Cayman Brac in September). He was too cold in his 3 mm full suit in Grand Turk in December. He was comfortable in Fiji in June and Cozumel in December in his 5/4 mm full, yet he was cold in Hawaii in August 78 f water temp.

Everyone is different. I wouldn't wear a 7 mm suit ever. If the water is cold enough where people think they need that much thermal protection, it's time for a drysuit for Bruce.

Yes, cold is a very personal thing. When we went to Coz in February, they were having cooler water temps than usual. I took my .5 skin & my 3mil full just in case. We dove 4 days with 3 dives on two days & 2 on the others. Never did break out the 3mil, but all the D/M's were wearing 5's with hoods to stay warm on the multiple dives. I saw more combinations of exposure gear that week than any other trip to Coz.

Now, the boat trips back to Scuba Club were a different story. I took a fleece lined boat coat and the wife thought I was crazy....of course she ended up wearing it while I shivered.

Mike

Now, the boat trips back to Scuba Club were a different story. I took a fleece lined boat coat and the wife thought I was crazy....of course she ended up wearing it while I shivered.

Mike

That will teach you to bring two coats next time. :D

Lawdy, I sure am glad I only snorkel. I'd need a steamer trunk to pack all the gear you guys take! :p

In all seriosity, OP should be able to pick up enough other divers on his Roll Call to put together a charter. A "private" operator is so much better than the cruise ship experience.

Lawdy, I sure am glad I only snorkel. I'd need a steamer trunk to pack all the gear you guys take! :p

In all seriosity, OP should be able to pick up enough other divers on his Roll Call to put together a charter. A "private" operator is so much better than the cruise ship experience.

The amount of gear can be daunting, especially if you're packing U/W camera & video equipment.

Back to the OP's original question on whether to take the whole diving rig.....we usually take all our gear, but on our upcoming Royal Clipper cruise we have elected to take just our mask, fins & snorkels. There are so many connections we have to make getting to Barbados, we want to try & get by with just a carry-on each. Hopefully their equpment will be as good as the new Scubapro stuff the Star Flyer had when we went to Tahiti. Had we known that's what they had, we wouldn't have lugged all that stuff there. Biggest issue is I just hate the thought of having to wear a weightbelt again:(

Mike

I thought that would post an answer in two parts both of which may help you as a new diver and on a cruise ship. The first part of this reply is something I wrote a little over a year ago and deals with booking therough the ship or arranging your dives independently. The second part of this reply deals with the issue of renting VS. bringing you r own gear. I will tell you up fronnt that I am a big advocate of bringing your own each and every time.

Please bear in mind that what I have written is just one person's opinion - mine. I do not work in the travel industry or in the dive industry so take what you'd like form my replies and leave the rest. Dive Safely and enjoy those next dives.

CRUISE SHIP VS. PRIVATE EXCURSIONS

We have been diving for several years as we have cruised the Caribbean on Princess, HAL and Celebrity. Rarely do we book our dive excursions through the cruise line. We have booked two dives through the cruise lines and twenty six dive excursions privately. The classic dilemma you hear about is "If you book through the ship and your late they will wait for you". This may be true but we have never even come close to being late or missing the ship no matter how we booked the dive trip.

The two and possibly only two advantages to booking through the cruise line are convenience and comfort level. It is easy and convenient to simply book through the cruise line. One entry on an order form or one phone call and everything is arranged. No worrying about transportation to and from, dive boat departure times, etc. On the other hand there might be and often are some pretty significant drawbacks when booking through the ship.

Many (most?) times you get a better dive and a better dive site by choosing your own operator. Many dive operators that are used by the cruise lines take cruise ship divers to the nearest dive site to the cruise ship port. This is a cost containment issue. The operator is paying a fee or commission to the cruise line consequently their profit is somewhat diminished. In return they have a steady stream of prepaid divers. Don't get me wrong - these dive operators will provide you with a good dive trip but there may be much better dive sites at any given port. With a private operator you make your desires known and can even request a specific dive site. You may also have a smaller number of divers on the boat with a private operator. On one of our dive excursions through the ship we encountered the "cattle boat" syndrome. Never have we been on an overcrowded boat with private operators. In short you may and probably will get a more personalized experience with a private operator.

Let's talk about the comfort level that I mentioned earlier. You assume that the cruise line has inspected all of their excursion dive operators and that the operators met certain standards for safety, cleanliness and caliber of equipment. All of this is true. However, we make sure that all of the private operators met our standards for these same things. Rental equipment isn't an issue for us. We bring our own except for tanks & weights. We fell that you're much safer and better off bringing your own but that is another topic.

I am the one that has booked all of our dive excursions over the years. It does take a certain amount of time to do the research before selecting which operator we want to dive with. This site is invaluable and is always my starting point but there are a lot of other Internet sites that provide even more information. We feel that that the few hours I spend is well worth it and produces a much better dive experience. We have never had a truly bad dive trip no matter how it was booked. The ones that we have booked privately have always been a little to a lot better.

BRINGING YOUR OWN VS. RENTING

The War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B) and I have dived all over the Caribbean as well as several locations in Florida. We always brought our own gear (except tanks and weights). This did enable us to see a wide variety of the rental equipment provided by the various dive operations. Most of the rental equipment we've seen is reasonably good, upper middle of the road equipment. There have been one or two exceptions though.

Regardless of the newness (or not) of the rental equipment I think that you're much better off and probably safer with your own dive gear. I know instinctively where all the 'controls' (dump valves, harness adjustments, ditchable weights, etc.) are on my BCD. With a rental BCD it's going to be a learning experience to some degree. Furthermore I keep a lot of gear in or clipped to my BCD (dive knife, flashlight, safety sausage, emergency whistle) or in the front pockets. I know where each piece of this equipment is and that it's always with me.

Next is the service issue - how recently and how often has that rental regulator been serviced? With your own equipment you know those answers. We were diving in Aruba a little over a month ago and with a good dive operator. However one set of rental equipment had a secondary regulator which free flowed so badly that the diver had only ten to fifteen minutes of dive time. We were too far from the dock timewise to go back and get another set of regulators. They did give him a refund but that morning's dives were wiped out. When arriving by cruise ship often the only dives you get are those two tank morning dives.

Last but not least is the fit issue. Your own equipment fits you and probably fits better than rental equipment will. My mask fits my face and doesn't leak. My fins fit my feet with dive booties on. My wetsuit and BCD fit my body. Will rental equipment fit as well? Possibly but probably not.

So for all these reasons bring your own gear. Yes, it's somewhat of a pain in the fanny to lug that dive gear to wherever you rendezvous with the dive operator but this inconvenience is far outweighed by the benefits.

Archived