Which Carnival itinerary for family w/ young kids?

MaiTaiMary

Which itinerary do you think young kids (ages 7, 5 ½, and 4) would enjoy the most?

I’ve never been to any of these places, so I’m just not sure how “kid friendly” they are. We enjoy the beach a lot, but I’d kinda like something a little more than just beach days.

#1:

Nassau, Bahamas

Sea day

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

Sea day

Sea day

#2:

Sea day

Grand Cayman

Isla Roatan

Belize

Cozumel

Sea Day

Just trying to keep things simple here and look at the differences in the ports, first.

Thanks!

Earlier this year (January 2009) we did the Itenary #1 you have listed and we sailed on the Carnival Glory. My boys were 4 and 7 at the time and they had a blast. They had been to Nassau before, but we did Blackbeard's Cay. They loved it. They also had a blast in St. Thomas at Maagen's Bay and in St. Maarten we booked a private tour. Best trip ever. WE are doing your Itenary #2 in January 2010 on the Carnvial Valor. That one seems to be a little trickier for kids especially in Belize and Isla Roatan. I'm having difficulty finding excursions for them.

#2 sounds more kid friendly..... I know there is a boat that goes out of Tampa (I think its the Inspiration??) that is very kid friendly, according to my sister in law who took her 5 year old on it last year. So not just the trip itself, but also the activities on the boat are appealing to kids (huge water slide, that sort of thing)

#2, for sure. The eastern route is more just shopping and beaches. The western route has more snorkel options, ziplining, cave-tubing, ATV's, etc. We've got a few kids in our group...ages 2-16, and we're swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman, doing a dolphin encounter in Cozumel, snorkeling and taking a trip through the manatee preserve in Belize. Roatan we just booked a beach break through the ship (which is RARE for us to do).

We did #1 last year with our kids (7 & 11 then) and had a blast. That was our second eastern trip. We are doing the western with the kids in 5 days!!!!:D:D

So I'll let you know what we thought when we get back. I will say it was a little harder planning for the kids on the western. The rays and snorkeling, etc. tend to be more adult friendly (deeper water) IMO. Ruins on western require good physical exercise (think hauling a tired 4 yr old around, lol) and they are too young for cave tubing which also includes a good 40 minute walk through the jungle. Ziplining is out for kids that young as well, eastern IMO is more kid friendly.

Livin4Real- I totally agree with you. We are excited about our Western in January, but the excursions really limit kids. Alot of them have a minimum age requirement which eliminates my 5yr old. We are a "beach bum" family so beach days are fine for us.

Now, they are old enough for the Dune Buggy excursion in Cozumel and we are doing that one.

I would do itinerary #1 (Nassau, St. Thomas, St, Maarten) so I could take the kids to the beach in each port.......but, it depends on the kids. When I was a kid, going to the beach everyday in the summer was plenty of activity for me, and I did not get bored. I'm still the same way as we always go to a beach in every port. But, if you want more adventure or physical activity, I'd do the Western Caribbean itinerary for sure.

Archived