What beach has NO monkeys?

mexico5

Hi, I have read a lot of posts and I think I have figured out the beach that is right for us! Can someone confirm that this beach has NO monkeys? Is the beach at South Friars the one I should go to? The one for me to avoid is Cockleshell Bay?

Thanks!

The only place that you will see them as you descibe is at the port. There are several people that have very young ones on leashes that they will let you hold & then want to charge you to take a picture.

• 2 weeks later...

It makes perfect sense, Mexico. I also do not want to see animals used in this way. When I heard about the baby monkeys on leashes, I had to wonder what happened to their mothers. Mother monkeys are usually very good at protecting thier young. They must have been traumatized (or killed) when their babies were taken from them.

I will not contribute to this kind of exploitation.

Deb

Monkeys on or near the beach in St Kitt's are generally wild ones. I spent a week there a few years ago and all the monkeys I saw were quite wild. The only place I can imagine seeing them on leashes would be at the port- please DON'T encourage this by having your picture taken with them. There are plenty of wild monkeys that are used to people and it's easy to get a picture of them.

• 1 month later...

I am a monkey lover. I also was in St. Kitts. The monkeys do run wild on the Island, and I saw many just on a day tour. It was facinating and enjoyeable. Someone mentioned wheres the mother? Yes, it does make you wonder. But, from time to time, animals do become ill, and also we did see a roadkill monkey. They are like deer they flit across the road and turn and change direction unexpectantly.

I loved getting my picture taken with a baby monkey while on tour. It was washed nice and clean and wore a diaper. It was only 6 months old. The owner has raised it since it was little. Maybe he has mommy. But, on the other hand...at the Port, there was a fellow with 3 baby monkeys and they did need a good bath. I got pictures with these as well and enjoyed the experience. Where I come from we dont get the opportunity to view let alone hold one. Its all in a view point. I did not see an over abundance of monkey dealers, per say. I was just grateful to see so many wild monkeys viewable as we toured the mountainous terrain. Kudos to St. Kitts!!! In Florida, Key West, they are catching and terminating the lives of the Hens and Roosters...I dont agree on that either. The city pays up to $25 per animal. That just adds to the sultry and fun atmosphere the end of our countrys mile zero marker offers.

I am an animal lover, they look very well fed...they dont look abused, and I believe overall the tame monkeys enjoy the interaction.

Have a good day and enjoy all that Gods creation has given to each and to all...:)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info...still can't believe people think it's cute to have pictures taken with animals in this way...it's so disturbing...as long as people will pay, animals will be used in this horrible way.

WELL SAID .... I am a volunteer with the SPCA it's such a shame that so very many tourists are not educated..

In the Canary Islands they used to do the same thing with monkey's and lion cubs ( neither native to the island) but the tourists thought they looked 'cute' what they didn't know is that once those cubs got too big and not so 'cute' they would toss them off a cliff and into the sea.... After some public education and outcry a large contingent of Brits (one of the main tourist groups to visit the islands) with the help of MP's, newspapers and 'bad press' for the local economy they managed to get this practice banned....

Archived