Jean Talon Market in Montreal

We are planning a walking tour through Plateau Mont-Royal, and we would like to end at the Jean Talon Market in Little Italy. Approximately how far is the Jean Talon Market from the Mont-Royal Metro at rue St-Denis and av. du Mont-Royal? Is it walkable to the Market? About how long would it take?

Also, are there any specific "must sees," "must dos," or "must eats" that we should not miss in the Market?

Thanks,

Shelley

To be honest, I've never really thought of Jean Talon market as a tourist attraction. It's really just a big marketplace that sells, fruits & vegetables, meats, flowers, etc. It's not quaint or charming like some of the markets in the islands.

To answer your question, it is walkable, approximately 3 kilometers. Hopefully you'll get more responses because I couldn't even begin to suggest a decent restaurant in the area or must sees...not there aren't any, I'm sure there are but it's not one of the areas that comes to mind when I think of places to show our out of town guests.

Keep in mind that our Little Italy is not like NYC's Little Italy....

That's really surprising because when I searched "what to do" in Montreal on tripadvisor, the Jean Talon Market was rated extremely high, #4 I think. Now, I'm not sure it's something we should do. I know that it's a place that the "locals" spend time -- do you think it would be a mistake to allow time there, or should we visit the Point-a-Calliere Archaeology Museum instead -- I had that as an alternate. I know that they are not in the same vicinity, but I could switch things around and include that in my visit to Montreal. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

Shelley

The Jean-Talon is a real food market and gourmet market. Depending on when you are there, there is also a floral market. It is not in the Plateau, but part of Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie (Actually, I would think it's in La Petite-Patrie, but that's an old district name and I can't find a map for it to make sure). It is over 3 km from the Mont-Royal metro station, but just a few meters from the Jean-Talon metro station. Depending on your walking speed it's about 45 minutes to walk.

Little Italy is to the west of it (west according to Montrealers, not according to geographic west... in that case it would be south by south west, but that's another story.

As far as your interest, well, we can't tell if that's something you like or you don't like. Some people love the archaeological museum and rank it as one of the best things to see in Montreal and others find it uninteresting. Plenty of people love seeing the Jean-Talon market and others just see it as another food market. That's a personal thing. I can tell you who has the cheapest maple syrup there and where to buy quail's eggs... to me it's a place to shop. Same with the Atwater market, which is of less interest to tourists and more interest to locals.... where I go for local fruits, some organic lamb, etc.

Thanks, Ephraim. I think we will try to do both.

Reviews of the museum suggest that it can be seen in 1-1/2 hours. That seems doable, I'm sure we can find an extra 1-1/2 hours on one of our days.

Tripadvisor loves the Jean Talon Market. In fact, their tourist reviews rate it as the #1 place to see in Montreal. I know, you're probably surprised because it's a place where you shop regularly, and perhaps wonder what all the hype is about. Even though I'm not crazy for cooking (I much prefer to "make a reservation"), I think it sounds like fun. We loved the Bouqueria (sp?) Market in Barcelona, and we love our little Farmer's Market in Los Angeles. So, I think we'd enjoy the Jean Talon Market, too. Could you please share with me the names of a few shops, eateries, etc. that you feel I must visit in the Market, the "don't misses?" Thanks so much for your help.

Shelley

Names?!?!? I don't know, I just go to the egg guy to buy a tray of eggs and walk by the different fruit guys to buy fresh local fruit.

Basically the gourmet shops are on the far east side of the market, the fruit and vegetables in the middle and the flower guys at the west end. There are a few booths on either side.

Remember, I run a B&B.. I'm looking for local fruit at the market. I hardly buy any vegetables because I subscribe to an organic farmer. I have a boulangerie just up the street from me, so I don't need to buy bread at the market. My interests are really the fresh Quebec fruit in season.

Thanks, Ephraim. I think we will try to do both.

Reviews of the museum suggest that it can be seen in 1-1/2 hours. That seems doable, I'm sure we can find an extra 1-1/2 hours on one of our days.

Tripadvisor loves the Jean Talon Market. In fact, their tourist reviews rate it as the #1 place to see in Montreal. I know, you're probably surprised because it's a place where you shop regularly, and perhaps wonder what all the hype is about. Even though I'm not crazy for cooking (I much prefer to "make a reservation"), I think it sounds like fun. We loved the Bouqueria (sp?) Market in Barcelona, and we love our little Farmer's Market in Los Angeles. So, I think we'd enjoy the Jean Talon Market, too. Could you please share with me the names of a few shops, eateries, etc. that you feel I must visit in the Market, the "don't misses?" Thanks so much for your help.

Shelley

I'd just like to add that markets such as this are popular with visitors because it is at places such as these that you can get a glimpse of the people and culture of a city. People watching is always interesting. In Montreal it would be a chance to hear French and English (and probably more), and see what people like to buy.

I completely agree, Maryann! That's why we like to visit local markets in cities that we visit. I love to connect with the "locals;" it's the best way to really absorb the feel of a place (and if we get to "nosh" on some treats -- particularly those typical of the place like maple syrup, smoked meats, cheeses, etc. -- then we are double winners!)

One more question about Jean Talon Market: We are planning our visit to the Market on September 30, 2010. Will we be limited by what we can see since it will be fall, no longer summer? Will the flowers still be available?

Thanks again, everyone, for the assistance.

Shelley

I'd just like to add that markets such as this are popular with visitors because it is at places such as these that you can get a glimpse of the people and culture of a city. People watching is always interesting. In Montreal it would be a chance to hear French and English (and probably more), and see what people like to buy.

Trust me, you'll hear French anywhere you go in Montreal. Jean Talon market will have a lot more ethnic diversity so you will most likely hear other languages there as well.

I completely agree, Maryann! That's why we like to visit local markets in cities that we visit. I love to connect with the "locals;" it's the best way to really absorb the feel of a place (and if we get to "nosh" on some treats -- particularly those typical of the place like maple syrup, smoked meats, cheeses, etc. -- then we are double winners!)

One more question about Jean Talon Market: We are planning our visit to the Market on September 30, 2010. Will we be limited by what we can see since it will be fall, no longer summer? Will the flowers still be available?

Shelley

The flowers will still be there but not as much in abundance. Chrysanthemums in autumn colors (deep purple, orange, yellow) are popular in the Fall because they seem to be able to withstand the cooler nights.

The Fall produce will be in abundance by then...especially pumpkins.

IF you decide not to go to the market, the best Montreal smoked meat is from Schwartz and maple syrup and Quebec cheeses can be found in most supermarkets...or if you are staying downtown Montreal, you can stop in at Le Faubourg at rue Ste. Catherine and St. Mathieu. It's an indoor market...not as authentic as one of our outdoor markets but they do have some specialty shops that sell cheeses, breads, and even bagels. They aren't Fairmont or St. Viateur bagels but they are scrumptious and real Montreal bagels that fresh and chewy.

Oh my gosh! It sounds incredible! I'm already salivating! Thank you for your suggestions. I am very anxious to try Schwartz's -- I've already got it on my list of "must eats!" I've just added your other suggestions to my list too. I can't wait!

Thanks,

Shelley

Shelley

By the end of September you will see mostly Chrysanthemums in pots and cut flowers. Maybe some bulbs that need to be planted in the fall, like tulips. But the main flower market is around Victoria Day (late May.)

I admit that the price of maple syrup is often best at the market... but you also need to know that we buy maple syrup in cans, not bottles. We also don't usually buy No. 1 Clear as it's too clear and not as tasty. No 1. Amber or Medium is what we usually buy.

You have a fair selection of meat and cheese at the market (both JT and Atwater) but the everyday Montrealer likely either gets these at the supermarket or a specialty chacuterie. For example, in my neighbourhood I go to La Vielle Europe for such things (like karnatzel.)

From what I understand, Schwartz's changed management earlier this year and while I have always liked Schwartz's smoked meat, there are minor changes and it's not for everyone. For example, I have been told that the charcoal grill is out... so much for the mixed platter. And of course some people like their smoked meat cut thin.... since Schwartz's hand cuts their meat it is never thin. Also, I strongly suggest ordering medium, as it will be dry and tasteless if you order it lean.

Archived