Food

Felice

I need comments on Costa's food. Everyone I know says it's awful and I remember that when I cruised with them - a long time ago - it was dreadful. Has it improved?

Food is a very subjective subject.

One should not ask such questions, as most people who did not like the food will answer and so giving a very one side view.

I always read the reviews on the ship I will be cruising on and then make my own opinion.

Ron

As Ron says, "food is a very subjective subject." Personally, I've always found the food served in Costa restaurants in a range from fair to good, rarely bad, rarely excellent. But then, I don't cruise for the food.

Next point, Felice, it may be that it's not the food that's awful or dreadful to everyone you know, but maybe it's the cusine. If you're not used to Italian cusine (and I'm not talking about the "italian cusine" served in so-called "Italian" restaurants outside of Italy), you'll find it different from what you're used to, and maybe you'll find you don't like it. Many comments in this forum on the food question say the "pizza and the pasta" was good but everything else lousy. Well pizza and pasta isn't really what Italian cooking is all about. Italian cusine is regional, it differs from the French and German/Austrian dishes of the far north, all the way south to Calabria, Puglia, and Sicily. There are hundreds if not thousands of different pasta dishes in this country, but Italian cusine means the entire meal from the antipasta to the dessert dishes.

In any case, I suppose if we got into the subject of hamburgers or meatloaf in America, we'd find those to find a particular restaurant awful and those that find it great. Getting back to those words of wisdom, "food is a very subjective subject." Enough said.

So long as the food does not contain any of the big FOUR for me (heart, liver, kidney and lungs - I'm OFFAL of them :D) and I don't have to prepare or cook it, then it is excellent for me.

Having the DW along also helps enormously, he knows exactly when I am full because then comes the fateful statement "you have had enough" (applies to both solids and liquid intake. :( But (should write that in capitals ) BUT if the DW cannot finish a dish then the rest lands on my plate to finish off.:D Women, what would we do without them?

If one orders a meal that does not suits one's palate, send it back (courtesly) and order the next dish, one can go throughthe whole menu then the standard items, chicken salmon and spagetti.

Also "food is a very subjective object", I object to that dish and that as well.:eek:

Ron

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments. I know and love Italian food - having been to Italy and lived in NYC, the appreciation isn't narrow. My objection, when I was on the Romantica, way back when, was that even the pasta was objectionable. Clearly it sounds like things have improved.

Thanks for the input.

We were on MSC and prior to the cruise I read all the bad reviews about the food, from taste , to presentation, to availablility...and then I experianced it myself and found the food tasty, exciting to look at and available when I wanted it.

I will soon be trying Costa for the 1st time and fully expect the same.

Food is like people...some we like some we don't...but all are loved by someone.

order wisely and enjoy !

Bob

Archived