Ft. Lauderdale vs Port of Miami

RadioRay

Sorry if this an old debate, but I just wanted to post about the differences between the Port in Ft. Lauderdale and the Port of Miami. Both are in the more or less the same Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Market. I experienced both with Royal Caribbean. Miami, by far, is the easiest port. In Ft. Lauderdale, I felt like cargo, both in and out. Long lines in a big building clearly not made for passengers. They may have better terminal buildings elsewhere at Ft. Lauderdale but the one I was in was terrible. LONG Customs delays. The whole time standing in long lines like cattle.

Miami, Terminal G, I have been through twice. Much shorter walks. Better organized. Cold A/C everywhere. Desks actually installed for dealing with passengers, not home made generic counters. When I got off the ship, the line constantly moved. I paused with no one in front of me for Customs and got waved through in a few seconds. At Ft. Lauderdale the same process was over an hour. I do carry-on for my cruises so I can't speak for those delays at either port. But in Ft. Lauderdale, you're pointed to piles of luggage. Each pile is a different color. In Miami, airport-like conveyor belts by color.

I had a Letherman tool on my belt. They wouldn't allow it through security. In Miami they took it, and gave me a claim check for it. Today, when I returned, it was there waiting for me. I had almost written it off as lost. Miami left me way more impressed.

In Miami, you have a parking garage literally across the street from Terminal G. It was not full when we left the port. There's even a cheap place to get breakfast at Port of Miami. Ask for the Seaman Cafe. I think it's made mainly for the below deck crews and stevedores. Cheap option if you get there too early to wait for the Windjammer on-board. Easy walk from Term. G.

If there's one thing Miami could do to improve: When there is no one in line, open up the ropes so we don't have to do the silly obstacle course (with our carry-ons) for no reason.

Now, airport-wise, I'm a local, but for my other flights, FLL is much better. Smaller, easier to get in and out of, but way fewer direct flights. If you can handle the transportation between FLL and Port of Miami, that, to me, would be the best combination. I'm sure companies like Super Shuttle would give you a flat rate in advance if you want to avoid a cab. From my house in Miami to Ft. Lauderdale was about $25.

I recommend to everyone to NOT fly in day-of. I see way too much stress from people who just got off the plane to get to the port. I'll leave it to others to discuss where to stay, but there are fine hotels in Miami, Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Spend a little extra and get some rest before your cruise. There is actually a hot night life here too if you're into that. Same advice on when you get back, but to a lesser degree. I don't have to work with you the day after a cruise but I do have to share a ship with you when you're stressed from the fight here. (just kidding, but I do see a difference).

I hope this helps someone if you have a choice.

Ray

If the Port of Miami offered the conveniance that Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale offers you might have a good argument, unfortunately it doesn't.

The Ft Lauderdale airport is 5 minutes from Port Everglades, a wide variety of hotels are minutes from Port Everglades, supermarkets and liquor stores are minutes from Port Everglades. None can be said about Port of Miami. ;)

//////

I actually found boarding in Port Everglades easier than POM. Haven't done POM in many years so could have changed but when I did a couple of RCCL cruises there I experienced the longest lines and wait of any of my 12 cruises. I do, however, like the seaport village (not sure of official name) that is by the POM.

Archived