Member Reviews Off Base!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bfoot34

I just reviewed the "Member Reviews" again. I cannot believe the negative reviews of POA. I had five veranda's for my entire family. I also talked to several cruisers' about their experiences on POA. No one, I mean no one had any thing to say like was has been written on Member Reviews. It is not fair to knock the POA in the manner it has been because it is simply not the case.

I have been a servere of the NCL Dream. Much deserved. However, their POA is a totally different experience. Do not be afraid to go on the POA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

We were on the PoA last September, and adored the experience. Not going to say it was a perfect cruise (we discovered we really don't like freestyle dining!), but it was great otherwise.

However, I do not fault anyone here who has had a negative experience and/or posted a negative review. This is an open forum and, within reason, any member can post whatever he/she wishes. I am sure there will be more negative PoA reviews (just as there are for more "established" ships) and, also, more positive ones.

Hey, if some folks decide they don't ever again want to sail PoA (or even do it once), that may create more open cabins and, perhaps, a lower price!

Smooth sailing to you all!

I do not doubt the early reviews of POA. I am referring to the most recent bad reviews that went over board on POA. I can tell you from our experience on the cruise taken on 12/26/04 that none, none of what was most recently written about the POA is fact from our experience of 13 people that were with us.

Of course, nothing is perfect, but, I can honestly say that our experience on POA compares to Holland America and that is saying something.

Also, we found free style dinning acceptable on this cruise compared to the bad experience on the Dream. I guess that POA is set up much better for free style with two restaurants open for free style.:cool:

I do not doubt the early reviews of POA. I am referring to the most recent bad reviews that went over board on POA.
Then I agree that it may well be a case of those people who wouldn't be satisfied and would have heaps to moan about, even if everything had actually been perfect. And then there is always the more remote possibility that some of the "member reviews" aren't genuine - that's something which CC couldn't really police.

No matter what the opinion, it still boils down to just that - a personal opinion. Based on several years of reading varying reviews of numerous ships, it never surprises me anymore when two people on the same cruise offer differing opinions (sometimes radically different). There are too many variables at play for any opinion to be considered factual. Different people value different aspects of a cruise: some will condemn a cruise if the food isn't perfect; others find it acceptable as long as they don't have to cook. Some will get upset if their every whim is not met promptly and courteously; others are happy with a smile. Add to personal preferences the wide-ranging spectrum of expectations (many unrealistic, based on bad information or no information at all).

That said, I still enjoy reading reviews. You just have to sift through and take most assessments with a grain of salt.

It appears bfoot and I were on the same cruise, and I wish I enjoyed the cruise as much as his/her group. We also had 12 people, and everyone found it very average. Just goes to show that everyone's perceptions are different. I'm more of a 'go with the flow' person, but our personal experience (as I've described in another thread) simply didn't meet our expectations. We also talked to many people who were very unhappy about the destination & excursion changes (one couple planned to get married on a certain date and had to be flown to the island for the ceremony), and our neighbors down the hall were out of a room for 12 hours while NCL cleaned up the plumbing problems and found them a new room. The staff told us plumbing backups are still a problem on certain floors in certain rooms. (She was able to even name the rooms that routinely suffered from problems.) Formal dining with good, hot food still remains an issue in certain restaurants and for certain seatings. POA has made great strides since its launch and it is a nice cruise, but, in my opinion, it's not the cruise of a lifetime we were hoping for...and I'm not sure I could wholeheartedly recommend it. I am glad, however, that so many people are enjoying it. :)

I cruised on the POA in August and although my cruise wasn't that good, it was, from what I had read, an improvement over the June and July cruises. I can only surmize that the ship continues to improve. The last reviews that I can find posted on the review page are from November, surely others have been written and submitted since. Actually, I'm not sure what bfoot is talking about, most of the latest reviews posted were quite positive.

It is also the case of the glass being half full vs half empty. Two people can cruise the same ship at the same time and come back with two different stories based on their own personal likes, dislikes and exeriences.

It appears, based on CaptainMiller's remarks, that the food situation on the POA is still the biggest issue. Why is this not being improved? You would think cooks and servers would improve over time so what is the reason? Still large staff turnover or still cheap food being purchased by the cruise line for serving?

My question to CaptainMiller and bfoot: Have they resumed charging the Service Charge? ($10 a day per person) It was discontinued for many of the late summer and early fall trips and those on summer trips got a refund. I haven't heard much about that recently.

Reviews have improved over time. I have no doubt there were problems early on. But I truly enjoyed my vacation.

But it should also be kept in mind that people are more likely to tell others of a bad experience than a good. Just completing the review is the easy way to complain. Folks who take the time to post more detailed reviews on the boards are the ones I listen to. Which is why I still went on POA last November and had a GREAT time.

Well, here is another opinion, for what its worth! It’s like going to Disney World…When you stay at the Grand Floridian; you get pampered memories of a lifetime compared to staying at Caribbean Beach! But what is the point of being there? Pampering? Or being so delighted to ride on the Peter Pan ride 3 times in a row with your 4 year old nephew!!! I have stayed in both places, a few times each! The final thought from these different trips was…Disney is bigger than the pampering…it’s a state of mind!!! The same as it is with cruising! What are your expectations? The golden years of cruising? I think the QE2 is for those that want/expect a pampered experience, and the others, NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Royal Caribbean will give you a great CRUISING experience! Maybe not the pampering of your dreams. IMO, when I finally arrange the truly, truly great “cruise” of my lifetime, it will be on a privately chartered boat (ship!) with 15-20 of my nearest and dearest loved ones, exploring all those breathtaking Caribbean islands, on our own schedule, with any type of food we choose! (yes, I have been researching, and the price does not seem to be significantly different than the mega ships!) In a short time, I will be on the NCL Dawn for 10 days! My expectations are high, as it is winter, depressing, and full of snow, ice and bad driving conditions! What I WANT on my cruise is peace, an escape from my everyday life, relaxation….but I must remind myself that if the ocean is rough, if the ship misses a port of call (like Tortola, I can’t wait!), its ok. I am on a cruise. My meals are free (ok, so it is part of the flat fee)! Someone else is cooking them! I am on the ship because I am on a high seas adventure, an adventure that cannot always be predicted! If my true desire/dream was a big pampered (predictable) experience, well, there are plenty of land based places that might cost a wee bit less, and a whole lot more pampering! But aaarrrggghhh…I am a pirate at heart, and the view of swelling waves is worth more (to me) than a personal chef cooked, mahi mahi, gourmet dinner (which I had on my land based Maui dinner experience). As johnql states: some will condemn a cruise if the food isn't perfect; others find it acceptable as long as they don't have to cook. Some will get upset if their every whim is not met promptly and courteously; others are happy with a smile.

C’mon people, if you stay at the Grand Flo, your expectations will be met way differently than if you stayed at Carib. Beach. But…the ultimate experience will be what you made of it! The one great thing about cruising is this…you are sailing on the sea! Everything else is relative! My, how I ramble!!!

bfoot34 hated the Dream and others loved it. Same cruise, same date.

bfoot34 loved the POA and others hated it. Same cruise, same date.

Nothing new. Everyone has his own subjective opinion of good and bad.

AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

But it does teach us to remember that fact when we post reviews and write replies to reviews by other cruisers.

I immediately dismiss 50% of what I read on these boards, and read with suspicion the other 50%.

It is not a question of someone being right or wrong - but only if their experience and opinion is right or wrong for ME ONLY.

Keystone Cruiser-

The $10 per person per day was not charged. The staff said they were not sure if and when it will be implemented again. As much as I, and other people complained about it, it would be much easier than trying to figure our how much to leave at dinner. With 12 in our party, some ending up tipping more than others. For room service, it always seemed liked we never had small bills and had to grab another relative to help us. I also wasn't sure if we were supposed to tip all the staff who revised our schedules at the excursion desk? Maybe NCL was truly trying to make things easier. Once they get the service down to a science, I think we may see it back. I

bfoot34 hated the Dream and others loved it. Same cruise, same date.

bfoot34 loved the POA and others hated it. Same cruise, same date.

Nothing new. Everyone has his own subjective opinion of good and bad.

AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

But it does teach us to remember that fact when we post reviews and write replies to reviews by other cruisers.

I immediately dismiss 50% of what I read on these boards, and read with suspicion the other 50%.

It is not a question of someone being right or wrong - but only if their experience and opinion is right or wrong for ME ONLY.

It seems to me that most the reviews on the Dream have been very negative. On the POA Miller did not exactly hate the POA he was super critical of some of it, which, Liz and I have taken exception to his report. In my case, I did talk to several people on board the POA and found they had little to complain about. A vast improvement over earlier reports. Give NCL credit for working hard on shaping up the POA. The Dream, well, I am waiting to read some of those positive reviews. I am waiting!!:cool:

I spoke to many many people on board. No one I spoke to had anything negative to say except one party had to wait two hours for food but was compensated with free drinks. That party has written very positive rewiews here so they must be happy. Even if some found the cruise average they can not say that about the islands.

Its all personal opinions, and also different experiences.

I haven't sailed on the POA, but I have been on the Crown. We had an Owner's Suite, so we had a balcony, concierge, and butler. We never had a problem - bags were in our rooms about an hr after we sailed, and our butler and steward were very helpful. We also had no plumbing problems.

Now, on that same exact cruise...

We spoke to a few couples who had trouble with plumbing and electricity, another's luggage was damaged, a few had complaints about the food, and 1 party had to move rooms 3 times (I do not remember why). There were also others who complained about, what I believed to be very trivial things - such things as the waiters were not as accomodating as on other ships - previous cruises they'd always had the same waiter and by the third night he knew everyone's taste.

I'm sure I had to tell the waiters my likes and dislikes each night, but it didn't seem that significant to me.

My point - the reviews aren't truly fact, only personal opinion.

What I also believe is that many reviews are from those that had a bad experience, not a positive one.

Archived