Difference between PCC and a regular NCL reservationist?

yoyocruiser

I have seen several threads where people discussed the advantages/disadvantages to use of an NCL PCC over a TA. I always book through NCL and just work with whatever person answers the phone. (Unlike many who post here I do not tend to get people who give different prcies/answers etc. I am always happy with the reservationists.) I assumed these people with whom I booked were PCCs--but as I read it seems perhaps the PCC is different from the regular reservation person that answers the phone? If that is the case, then I would like to pose the question fo the advantage of a PCC over working with whoever answers the phone? I guess I would assume the advantage is working with one person. But this would also be a disadvantage (have to call certain hours etc.) How does one get a PCC--just ask? Of course, I'm still not sure I see an advantage. I tried to look this up in past posts but I could only find comaprison of PCC with TA. Sorry if I am being repetitive with a question.

yoyocruiser

I have seen several threads where people discussed the advantages/disadvantages to use of an NCL PCC over a TA. I always book through NCL and just work with whatever person answers the phone. (Unlike many who post here I do not tend to get people who give different prcies/answers etc. I am always happy with the reservationists.) I assumed these people with whom I booked were PCCs--but as I read it seems perhaps the PCC is different from the regular reservation person that answers the phone? If that is the case, then I would like to pose the question fo the advantage of a PCC over working with whoever answers the phone? I guess I would assume the advantage is working with one person. But this would also be a disadvantage (have to call certain hours etc.) How does one get a PCC--just ask? Of course, I'm still not sure I see an advantage. I tried to look this up in past posts but I could only find comaprison of PCC with TA. Sorry if I am being repetitive with a question.

yoyocruiser

The use of a PCC depends upon your preference. You are correct that once you book through a PCC, you'll need to work directly with that person to make changes. This means you need to call during their business hours and it can take some of the flexibility away. One of the pros would be that the PCC is better suited to understand your needs and preferences, and works to (attempt to) ensure you get what you think you're getting. For special requests, it is far easier to have a single point of contact. The biggest con I've experienced related to PCCs is that if you call the general reservation line to make a request or other simple change, they tell you that they cannot help and you need to work with your PCC. I find this to be unsatisfactory, so I always book through general reservations. Hope this helped!

yoyocruiser

I have a NCL PCC that is fantastic. :D I think the one of the biggest advantages is when ever NCL has a sale she automatically checks all my reservations to see if it will benefit me. She also knows our likes/dislikes and has made some great suggestions in ships, cabins etc. I normally call during her regular business hours, but I also have her home email and cell # in case I need to speak to her outside of normal hours. A great PCC is worth their weight in Gold.;)

What has happened with me when I have booked direct with NCL is that I call and book with whomever, then in a few days I receive a call from someone who tells me they have been assigned as my PCC. I tell them I intend to move the reservation to one of my regular agents anyway.

My experience is similar to ImADaneFan. I have an email and cell # of my PCC. Every announced sale she will check my reservation and make adjustments or a phone call telling me there is no advantage to me.

Love her and the service

Thanks for your replies. Although I have booked three cruises in the past two years with NCL I have never been contacted by a PCC. But I think I am happy working with the regular reservationists that answer the phones as it is most important to me to be able to transact business exactly when I have the time to do it--not confine myself to certain hours. Also, we generally do not have any extenuating circumstances or needs. But Icertainly can see the benefit to a PCC. It's funny that I never realized what a PCC was--always just thought it was the reservation people.

Thanks,

yoyocruiser

Everyone has been pretty much spot on informing you of the differences between NCL PCCs and NCL reservations agents but their are a couple of things I’ve experienced that seem worth mentioning. I've had the same PCC for a little over a year and she's very informative about cruising and about the scope of her job. PCCs generally have more experience, I stress generally because, as with everything else, I have encountered the occasional PCC dud as well as the razor sharp reservations agent and vice versa; but PCCs are usually more knowledgeable, or at least more resourceful and willing to go the extra mile, than regular reservations agents. All PCCs have voice mail because they call people for a living, so your calls will likely go to voice mail even during their regular business hours. When my PCC is really busy, she'll email me to let me know that she received my message and will call back as soon as possible. If she can answer my question in a short email exchange we take care of it that way. Outside her office hours, my PCC calls me back as long as I state that my call back request is urgent (to me). Once I made my first final payment, she included her cell phone number on subsequent emails which is very helpful in a pinch and something I would not give out to others or abuse. I don't think they're required to do this because none of my previous PCCs ever did. Not many people know this but, at NCL, PCCs are scheduled to work 45 hours a week but most of them work a minimum of 60, so if you have trouble reaching yours, I'd request a new one. There is also an overflow line. If you don't type the PCCs extension, there are other PCCs available to help you when yours is busy. If your PCC is well liked, other PCCs will be cordial about helping out. Sometimes you have to be insistent but most are helpful if it is a simple request. If you are requesting something extra special or complicated it is probably best to wait for your own PCC anyway. Also, if you have a PCC and you really need something, but their offices are closed, you can call reservations and ask for a supervisor. Within limitations, they are authorized to help with PCC reservations when it involves something that can not wait until their offices open. A major difference is that reservations agents are evaluated on call volume so they are trained to sort of rush the process. PCCs are required to actually take a genuine interest in their cruisers, to make notes of their preferences and to establish good business relationships much like the few professional travel agents who remain in the business today. For me, not having to start at square one every time I want to add a friend or family cabin, get information, or to book a new cruise; well this level of personalized service is a real plus to me. Imagine how surprised I was when my NCL PCC called to ask how my knee surgery went! If my PCC ever leaves NCL, I hope she gives my file to someone like her. Of course, these are just my experiences.

I really can't figure why I need a PCC. Booked my first NCL cruise direct with whomever answered the 800 line. They knew their stuff 100%. After we got back, our PCC called us a few times, and was not able to answer some of my questions. I'd get a vague answer, or a tip-toe around to change the subject.

We recently booked a cruise for next summer. My PCC was off. I just called the 800 # again, and got another knowledgeable rep at random. Answered all my questions. As far as checking sales prices for you, my PCC (in the past) pledged to do that. When I asked about that here, I was told don't bet on it.

Everyone has been pretty much spot on informing you of the differences between NCL PCCs and NCL reservations agents but their are a couple of things I’ve experienced that seem worth mentioning. I've had the same PCC for a little over a year and she's very informative about cruising and about the scope of her job. PCCs generally have more experience, I stress generally because, as with everything else, I have encountered the occasional PCC dud as well as the razor sharp reservations agent and vice versa; but PCCs are usually more knowledgeable, or at least more resourceful and willing to go the extra mile, than regular reservations agents. All PCCs have voice mail because they call people for a living, so your calls will likely go to voice mail even during their regular business hours. When my PCC is really busy, she'll email me to let me know that she received my message and will call back as soon as possible. If she can answer my question in a short email exchange we take care of it that way. Outside her office hours, my PCC calls me back as long as I state that my call back request is urgent (to me). Once I made my first final payment, she included her cell phone number on subsequent emails which is very helpful in a pinch and something I would not give out to others or abuse. I don't think they're required to do this because none of my previous PCCs ever did. Not many people know this but, at NCL, PCCs are scheduled to work 45 hours a week but most of them work a minimum of 60, so if you have trouble reaching yours, I'd request a new one. There is also an overflow line. If you don't type the PCCs extension, there are other PCCs available to help you when yours is busy. If your PCC is well liked, other PCCs will be cordial about helping out. Sometimes you have to be insistent but most are helpful if it is a simple request. If you are requesting something extra special or complicated it is probably best to wait for your own PCC anyway. Also, if you have a PCC and you really need something, but their offices are closed, you can call reservations and ask for a supervisor. Within limitations, they are authorized to help with PCC reservations when it involves something that can not wait until their offices open. A major difference is that reservations agents are evaluated on call volume so they are trained to sort of rush the process. PCCs are required to actually take a genuine interest in their cruisers, to make notes of their preferences and to establish good business relationships much like the few professional travel agents who remain in the business today. For me, not having to start at square one every time I want to add a friend or family cabin, get information, or to book a new cruise; well this level of personalized service is a real plus to me. Imagine how surprised I was when my NCL PCC called to ask how my knee surgery went! If my PCC ever leaves NCL, I hope she gives my file to someone like her. Of course, these are just my experiences.

Although I understand why you don't want to share your PCC's cell phone number, would you be willing to share the name/main extension? If I was able to find an excellent PCC, I may be willing to try to use one again.

Thanks! :)

Archived