Recommondation of dive ops on Tortola

Orcrone

I'm going to be going to Tortola at the end of March and wish to dive the Rhone. I'd rather avoid the ship's excursion as it's pricey and I'm afraid it could be a cattle call.

Any suggestions/recommondations about dive ops on the island?

Thanks,

Orcrone

Blue Water Drivers out of Nanny Cay. I have used them twice. You have to catch a cab to Nanny Cay on your own. ($12.00) There dives are $85.00 (two tank own equip) To be honest I found the Rhone a boring dive(s). There is not a lot left of her. On the other hand they have some nice reef dives in the BVI with some generous interval time spent on one of the islands. They only do 1 dive a day per boat, so they are not in a hurry to get back. There dives run from 9am to 2pm.

I'm going to be going to Tortola at the end of March and wish to dive the Rhone. I'd rather avoid the ship's excursion as it's pricey and I'm afraid it could be a cattle call.

Any suggestions/recommondations about dive ops on the island?

Thanks,

Orcrone

I recommend you consider UBS Divers and book a private charter. If you have 2 divers, it's $125 pp, 4 divers is $90 pp. Although it isn't cheap, you get the boat to yourself, a personal guide, snacks during the SI, and all the beer, soda, etc. you can drink after you're done.

We dove the Rhone a couple of weeks ago with UBS and not only had phenomenal service, but we really loved the dive. We thought the bow was in tremendous condition for her age and spent quite a bit of time inside of her looking at the interior support beams, the growth, and the coal that's still left. The stern isn't in good condition, but the anchor, the screw, the boilers, and the mast are all fascinating to look at and ponder. IMO, when you consider that this wreck is nearly 150 years old, she's in unbelievable condition!

Thanks everyone.

Hilary - UBS sounds great, but it's only me. DW doesn't dive so a private charter is out of the question. I can still contact them and get some info. We're the only ship in port so they may team me up and put something together.

Archived