Suggested excursions for boring folks?

Buddy604

Well, maybe not too boring, but a friend and I are taking the Sapphire Princess on November 14th, and we're not really the sit on the beach and enjoy a drink type of guys, nor are we the gung-ho hiking and zip line types - I have a bit of a mobility issue where I can't stand for too long. I can walk alright, I just have to sit down every 15 minutes for 5 minutes or so thanks to a nasty disc and sciatica, so that often eliminates a whole passel of shorexes. My friend is more athletic, but doesn't like going on excursions by himself.

I'd love some suggestions for some interesting stops in PV, Mazatlan and Cabo from y'all - I've spent time in Mazatlan in the past with my parents (they had a timeshare there) but was never too entertained. :D

I'd love the hear from folks who have been on the various excursions and what they thought of them - my experience in other venues have certainly highlighted the variance between the tour description and the actual trip! :rolleyes:

A million thanks in advance for any insight and experience you're willing to share!! :)

In Puerto Vallarta there are some cool tours like the Sierra Madre tour which you should be able to do, the tour to San Sebastian (depending what time your ship arrives and departs) and there is always the possibility of guiding yourself around downtown Puerto Vallarta. I suggest searching on the internet for some good maps (vallarta-info) has some that you can print by section and then reading online about the area and what you may want to see.

I usually suggest a trip to the church:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150793-d313574-Reviews-The_Church_of_Our_Lady_of_Guadalupe_La_Iglesia_de_Nuestra_Senora_de_Guadalupe-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

...some shopping and of course drinks and some lunch around the Malecon or Los Muertos beach area. A stroll on the Rio Cuale Isalnd with a stop in the small museum and then taxi back to the pier.

There are plenty of places to sit or take a rest all along the Malecon and downtown.

Have a great trip!

My Mom and aunts did Cabo by Land and Sea when we were in Cabo (my cousin and I did zip lining). I was not on the trip but they all said they enjoyed the tour. It was a boat tour and then a bus tour with various stops. There was walking involved but nothing too strenuous. We were on Carnival, maybe Princess would have a similar tour or your could book independently.

When I was in Scotland several people on a castle and gardens tour I was on had those chairs they could pop open and sit on. Maybe you could take something like that? They would sit whenever the guide would stop to talk to us.

Jen in SoCal

Well, maybe not too boring, but a friend and I are taking the Sapphire Princess on November 14th, and we're not really the sit on the beach and enjoy a drink type of guys, nor are we the gung-ho hiking and zip line types - I have a bit of a mobility issue where I can't stand for too long. I can walk alright, I just have to sit down every 15 minutes for 5 minutes or so thanks to a nasty disc and sciatica, so that often eliminates a whole passel of shorexes. My friend is more athletic, but doesn't like going on excursions by himself.

I'd love some suggestions for some interesting stops in PV, Mazatlan and Cabo from y'all - I've spent time in Mazatlan in the past with my parents (they had a timeshare there) but was never too entertained. :D

I'd love the hear from folks who have been on the various excursions and what they thought of them - my experience in other venues have certainly highlighted the variance between the tour description and the actual trip! :rolleyes:

A million thanks in advance for any insight and experience you're willing to share!! :)

In Puerto Vallarta we did a WILD dolphin view and swim with Wildlife Encounters. The guy running it is a researcher. The boat is not luxurious :) but it was a VERY interesting trip, and some of us didn't go swimming -- just enjoyed being up close to the dolphins and seeing other marine life. He also does whale watches in season, but you'll be too early for those. If was like spending half a day with a friend who had a boat :)

If you can manage the thump-thump of the boat in the water, you might want to investigate this.... the only walk is from where the taxi drops you to the meeting spot -- about a block, and about another block to the boat you go out in.

I've been to all those three ports several times; and, we've learned how to enjoy them at little or no cost, while seeing more of the real area and its culture (for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint).

Cabo San Lucas. We always walk to Solmar Beach via the lobby of the Hotel Solmar, and go south to the end of the beach for a little sunning. There is no charge for passing through the hotel. In fact, they seem to welcome anyone who visits. The recent-most time a Mexican father and son asked us if we wanted to be shown how to go the Lovers Beach (which is an "excursion" for the cruise lines). I always thought that one could get there if you don't mind a little bit of "boulder hopping." We politely declined, but they continued on over the rocks. I later climbed to the top of the "first bit of rocks," which revealed that it would take another bit of boulder hopping to actually get to that beach. We usually spend an hour or two on the beach, which is almost vacant of people, before going back to the hotel. At any rate, we usually go back to the Hotel Solimar for a couple of fish tacos and a beer before returning back to the ship. To get to Solmar Beach, just go towards the Pacific Ocean off of the cruise dock (it's only about 1/4 mile). We saw whales off of Cabo, plus I witnessed a stingray leaping and flipping near the ship on one trip on the Golden Princess.

Mazatlan. On one visit, we walked the approximately one mile to the Pacifico/Corona brewery, where we were given a very inclusive tour, followed by a beer at the "top of the tower" lounge. They also gave each of us a small momento brochure with our picture included. Cost ..........zero, plus some good exercise. In a prior visit, we just walked to the cathedral for a self-tour, followed by some local window shopping. The Princess ships seems pretty liberal in allowing passengers to bring beverages purchased ashore back onto the ship. One man in our brewery tour hauled four quarts of Pacifico back to the ship. We only took one.

On our most recent trip we walked westerly out of the dock area (crossing the divided road just outside the dock). We just headed southwest to the hill that we could see about 1/2 mile away. It got much less crowded immediately. We walked past two of three schools that were in session, encountering the old custom house. We then walked southerly to the end of the port area (only a couple of blocks), until we found the surf zone of the coast. Very scenic. Nice homes on the hillside. We then followed the coast road around the hill to the old town of Mazatlan. A nice art museum, museum of archeology, internet cafes, non-expensive restaurants and bars. We bought some jewelry; and, then had a couple of 15 peso beers before walking back to the ship. There was much more to see in that area that we didn't have time to visit. We'll save that for our next visit. We used to think that Mazatlan was not worth leaving the ship for; but, have changed our minds.

Puerto Vallarta Puerta Vallarta is very charming, and an easy bus ride (cost about 50 cents each way - 5.5 pesos) from the main highway just outside the public dock area. Take the "Centro" bus, which goes as far as the old plaza before turning around. On returning look for the "Walmart" bus. Some of the drivers are obviously insane; so, you'll probably get an exciting bus ride. There is also a Sam's Club and Walmart across the highway from the dock. The old town center has great walking, shopping, nice beaches and the old cathedral. We have also just walked south along the beach from the dock and relaxed on lounges at the many resort hotels along the beach. Once we are in the old part of town we sometimes walk up the very steep side streets, where lovely and interesting homes are located. On our last visit we met a local expatriate, who recommended a Spanish tapa restaurant about two blocks away (up the hill a couple of blocks, and off the regular tourist path). We spent $20 for two good Mexican beers, lunch for two, and tip. A nice quiet place. There is decent shopping in town, although you don't find many real gargains. Prices for most goods are cheaper in the states than in Mexico, except for things like leather goods, shoes, and other things that you might not find at home. Explore the side streets! Don't just follow the herd.

Of the three ports we thought that Mazatlan has the best art displays.

• 6 months later...
In Puerto Vallarta we did a WILD dolphin view and swim with Wildlife Encounters. The guy running it is a researcher. The boat is not luxurious :) but it was a VERY interesting trip, and some of us didn't go swimming -- just enjoyed being up close to the dolphins and seeing other marine life. He also does whale watches in season, but you'll be too early for those. If was like spending half a day with a friend who had a boat :)

If you can manage the thump-thump of the boat in the water, you might want to investigate this.... the only walk is from where the taxi drops you to the meeting spot -- about a block, and about another block to the boat you go out in.

Please tell me more on this. Do you have a contact number or email for him? I would really be interested in something like this.

Thanks.

Please tell me more on this. Do you have a contact number or email for him? I would really be interested in something like this.

Thanks.

Hi, the website is http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/

and the dolphin info in at http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/dolphins.php

There is NO guarantee that you will get to swim with the dolphins -- it is entirely up to the dolphins :) which IMHO is the coolest part -- wild dolphins doing what THEY want to do. They were interested and interactive the day we were there.

There is a contact form on the website, and they are pretty good about replying and answering specific questions.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask -- I'll check this thread again.

I suggest the Semi Sub tour in Cabo...you get to see all the cool stuff underwater but also go uptop to see all of Land's End - the Arch and the Sea Lions upclose. It is air-conditioned below, very spacious, and mobility challenged ok! It even has a restroom onboard.

Hi, the website is http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/

and the dolphin info in at http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/dolphins.php

There is NO guarantee that you will get to swim with the dolphins -- it is entirely up to the dolphins :) which IMHO is the coolest part -- wild dolphins doing what THEY want to do. They were interested and interactive the day we were there.

There is a contact form on the website, and they are pretty good about replying and answering specific questions.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask -- I'll check this thread again.

Thanks for the links! This sounds like a wonderful experience. I don't see any prices on the website. Do you remember what you paid?

Thanks!

Well, maybe not too boring, but a friend and I are taking the Sapphire Princess on November 14th, and we're not really the sit on the beach and enjoy a drink type of guys, nor are we the gung-ho hiking and zip line types -

We've toured with Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan and had a great time. We've also done the Colonial City tour with Princess and enjoyed that; getting out of the city and seeing some of the countryside was interesting. In PV, we did an independent tour with Superior Tours of Vallarta, and they do a very nice job. Our favorite independent tour we've done was in Cabo, though. We hired a driver and went to San Jose del Cabo for the day. We had been there once as part of an excursion and thought it was a charming little town, much less frenetic than Cabo San Lucas. So, that was our plan the next time we visited Cabo. We walked around the city for a bit, visiting the cathedral, and the town square. There are some very nice shops and a nice variety of very good restaurants. It was a very nice day.

Thanks for the links! This sounds like a wonderful experience. I don't see any prices on the website. Do you remember what you paid?

Thanks!

November 2008, I think (but would not swear to in a court of law :D ) it was $65 USD per person plus the cost of the cab. They are really good about replying to e-mail, so it would be worth your time to send them an e-mail asking for the current cost per person, IMHO.

I think we will use them for whale watching on our next visit there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Cowprincess, for the information. Your post made me want more info. so I e-mailed the wildlifeconnection. They promptly responded. I thought others might be interested in this so:

The tour of Dolphins in the wild is operated daily. The normal price for

> the tour is: $62 US per adult (children 12 and over pay full adult ticket)

> $31 US per child (4-11 years old) Infants no charge (0-3), but if you book

> directly with us we make a discount: $54 US per adult (children 12 and over

> pay full adult ticket) $27 US per child (4-11 years old) Infants no charge

> (0-3).

>

> We meet tour guests at 9:00 AM at OPEQUIMAR, and we leave the pier until

> 9:30. Your cruise ship arrives around 7:30 -8:00, and you will be able to

> get off the ship around 8:10-8:30 and OPEQUIMAR is around 8 minutes far by

> taxi from the pier your cruise arrives, so you will have enough time to

> arrive but anyway we can wait for you, we often get people from cruise ships

> and they arrive with us around 8:50, but as I mentioned ºWE ALWAYS WAIT FOR

> CRUISE PASSENGERS. OPEQUIMAR is located across the street from Westin

> Regina Hotel in Marina Vallarta. We meet the people at the security gate.

> The tour includes a light american breakfast, an educational explanation

> (We are Biologists with Masters Degree in Marine Ecology, Science Journalist

> and Professional Wildlife Photographer), and on board we have water, juice,

> soda and granola bars.We have hydrophone on board so you have a nice chance

> to hear the dolphins communication. During the tour we provide more info

> about the dolphins, at this time of the year there are new born so you will

> have a chance to see baby ones. Also depending on the dolphin's type of

> group,

> activity and of course their mood we have good chances to swim with them

> specially if there are juveniles around (they are very curios).

> We come back around 12:30 PM.

> We use a small boat because is the best way to get close to the animals

> with low impact. Our boat is a 26ft shaded fast boat, with 12 pax of

> capacity. So it's private and personalized tour.

> You probably saw in our web site: http://www.wildlifeconnection.com that

> we have some research programs and during the tour we will share with you

> this information. Also our research helps us to guarantee 100% that we can

> find the dolphins (if not money back).

> If you decide to come with us please let me know so I can make your

> reservation in advance. You can make your reservation direct by email with

> us

To me, it sounds like a fun, personalized tour! Thank you so much for posting the info. I leave in a week and am so looking forward to this!

I thought others might be interested in this

Thank you for posting this information! This sounds like something we'd really enjoy. My daughter is 15 and wants to be a wildlife photographer, so I was really pleased to see they have one on the tour. That's a perk for us. :)

And, like the OP, I have some mobility issues (severely arthritic knee), so this could be right up our alley.

Thank you!!

Archived