free/inexpensive things for Girl Scouts?

stacieps

My Girl Scout troop in considering a NCL cruise from Boston to Bermuda that is in Bermuda for 2 1/2 days. I've been on many cruises but never to Bermuda - are there free or inexpensive things to do? We will be 8 in total. I'm sure we'll want to spend at least 1/2 of one day at a beach, but what else is there that won't cost too much?

I've just started researching, so any help/tips will be greatly appreciated.

My Girl Scout troop in considering a NCL cruise from Boston to Bermuda that is in Bermuda for 2 1/2 days. I've been on many cruises but never to Bermuda - are there free or inexpensive things to do? We will be 8 in total. I'm sure we'll want to spend at least 1/2 of one day at a beach, but what else is there that won't cost too much?

I've just started researching, so any help/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Just off the top of my head, the Zoo and Aquarium are not too expensive and you'll get to see lots of native fish. Gibbs Hill lighthouse is only $2.50 to go up. Snorkel gear is abot $10-15 to rent. The glassblowing studio is free. Fort Hamilton is also free with a cool underground tunnel, kind of spooky so you'll probably have squealing girls :D and a moat that feels like being in a rainforest.

You're best bet is for all to get a transportation pass to get around and use it as a cheap means of sightseeing. It's good on busses and ferries....use it late in the day on the ferry for an inexpensive sunet cruise. There are 2 beaches where you can pick sea glass which the girls could possibly use for some type of craft when they get home.

There are also a number of historical places that are free but they probably won't interest the girls.

In St George's there is the perfume factory tour (free) which might interest the girls in seeing how the different scents are made, etc. The Unfinished Church is right up the hill, and Tobacco Bay Beach right around the corner. You could also walk to Fort St Catherine, but I think they may charge a couple bucks each. I have also read about the wench's being dunked in this town also, maybe you could coordinate the time to see this also. Not sure when you are going but there is usually a nighttime festival (Wednesday eve's?) in Hamilton with dancers, food, vendors, etc. I am taking my kids this spring and plan on taking them to the caves, which are pretty neat and not too expensive, and spending a day at Horseshoe Beach in addition to the above things. What a great way to have a girl scout trip-no more tents????

Thank you both for the suggestions.

What a great way to have a girl scout trip-no more tents????

Yeah, we are not really a "tent" kind of troop - this will be our 4th trip, we've been to a ranch in NY State, a 4 night Carnival cruise to Key West and Cozumel, and this summer we went to Disney World.

We're looking at an August sailing from Boston to Bermuda (NCL Spirit), it would be right at the top of our budget though, which is why I'm looking into what we would be able to do without much $$ for excursions.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Yeah, we are not really a "tent" kind of troop - this will be our 4th trip, we've been to a ranch in NY State, a 4 night Carnival cruise to Key West and Cozumel, and this summer we went to Disney World.

We're looking at an August sailing from Boston to Bermuda (NCL Spirit), it would be right at the top of our budget though, which is why I'm looking into what we would be able to do without much $$ for excursions.

Geez, They never did anything like this when I was scout! Where were you back them?

I did a Bermuda on a Budget thread on the NCL site. Here is the link. It may give you some more idea. I also think the Botanical Gardens are free but I ave not been .

Let me know if you need another chaperone!:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1043853&highlight=bermuda+budget

• 1 month later...

Archived