Help with Peru Itinerary

bqkali

I apologize for having a thread entirely unrelated to cruising, but it seems like there are some experts over here even on "land" trips to Peru.

After lots of reading and research, I have finally narrowed down what sites are my highest priorities for this trip. Only our international airfare is booked, so we have some flexibility within our travels at this point. I'd prefer to get the itinerary entirely in place before making any reservations and locking us into anything. The starting and ending dates are set in stone since we already have flights to Lima paid for :D

My main concern at this point is whether the order is okay for acclimating. We designed it this way because there is nothing in Arequipa we are dying to see - if we're feeling okay, we'd love to see the Juanita mummy museum and/or the Santa Catalina convent, but we won't be heartbroken if we spend the day resting instead (whereas in the Sacred Valley, there is tons we are interested in :rolleyes:). We won't be trekking anywhere (just touring) but we aren't used to high elevations, so I'm wondering if we're "pushing it" to try the Colca Canyon that early in our trip.

It would be really easy to reverse the order. Any other modifications may be a little more difficult, but probably still possible. I'd appreciate any other comments or suggestions anyone has as well :)

Day 0 - Overnight flight to Lima

Day 1 - Lima

Day 2 - Islas Ballestas/Paracas Reserve

Day 3 - Ica/Huacachina/Nazca

Day 4 - Arequipa

Day 5 - Colca Canyon

Day 6 - Colca Canyon

Day 7 - Lake Titicaca

Day 8 - Lake Titicaca

Day 9 - Sacred Valley

Day 10 - Sacred Valley

Day 11 - Machu Picchu

Day 12 - Cusco

Day 13- Puerto Maldonado

Day 14 - Puerto Maldonado

Day 15 - Puerto Maldonado

Day 16 - Lima / Overnight flight home

Elevations (approx)

Lake Titicaca-12,400 feet

Cusco-11,800 feet

MP-8200

Arequippa-8400 feet

Colca Canyon up to 16,000 feet, depending on which route you take. Chivay is about 12,800 feet

JMHO, but if you are really worried about AMS, I think I would fly to Cusco first and immediately go to the Sacred Valley. Then to MP, then to Cusco. Take the simply spectacular train ride to Puno ( Lake Titicaca), fly from Juliaca to Arequippa for Colca Canyon, then head back to Lima. You could do the Amazon first (I would), then do Nazca/Ballestos, etc just before you go home.

There is a lot of walking in and around Colca Canyon to see anything worthwhile (you can stay in the vehicle and just get out at the condor overlook however). But if you are going to stay in Chivay (the hot springs are great), you will be sleeping at 12,000+ feet and any additional walking could bring on AMS VERY rapidly.

The Arequipa/Colca Canyon area is much less developed tourist wise than around Cusco/MP. If you are going to have an AMS attack, do it around Cusco. They have seen it all with AMS and are well prepared. Rearrange your trip.

The Arequipa/Colca Canyon area is much less developed tourist wise than around Cusco/MP. If you are going to have an AMS attack, do it around Cusco. They have seen it all with AMS and are well prepared. Rearrange your trip.

Thank you, that type of advice is better than anything the guidebooks tell you.

It sounds like you are suggesting the exact reverse of my itinerary, or Lima -> PEM -> SV -> MP -> Cusco -> Lake T -> Arequipa -> Colca -> Nazca -> Lima. I have a rough itinerary drawn up for that order, with flight and bus schedules so I know that order would work. Now it's just a matter of booking everything :)

Any other tips would be valuable!

Thanks again :D I can't wait to go to Peru!

My son and I did the trip the way Grandam suggested and it was perfect. A lady got sick on the bus to the Canyon but the bus carried oxygen so she was ok after treatment. The part that was extra special was the trip over the top of the mountains. We stopped at the spot where people stack the rocks after reaching the top.Dont miss ARIQUIPA,It was one of my favorite places,

My son and I did the trip the way Grandam suggested and it was perfect. A lady got sick on the bus to the Canyon but the bus carried oxygen so she was ok after treatment. The part that was extra special was the trip over the top of the mountains. We stopped at the spot where people stack the rocks after reaching the top.Dont miss ARIQUIPA,It was one of my favorite places,

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip :)

We will only have a short time in Arequipa, but hopefully we will feel okay enough to take advantage of our brief visit. It shouldn't feel too bad coming from Lake Titicaca!

Archived