Things to do in Merida

We are going on a cruise to Progresso and Cozumel in a few months with another couple. The guys are planning to golf in Progresso while the girls go to another excursion. I've been to Progresso before and the beach wasn't all that great and I actually felt a little unsafe when I was walking around the town. (We saw a military truck with soldiers holding big huge guns). So since me and the other lady will be traveling by ourselves I think we are going to stick with the carnival excursion to merida. I originally wanted to go to a mayan ruin, but I think we might just go to merida instead. My question is, are there any particular places we should plan to see while there? Has anyone been to the shopping center carnival takes you to? If anyone could offer suggestions I would appreciate it. :)Thanks. : )

My preference is to strike out for Merida on my own. I don't like the herd mentality and moving at someone elses pace. Merida is so very easy to do on your own. Also the Yucatan state is very safe. Repeat, very safe. When the courtesy bus drops you just ask directions to the Progreso bus terminal. Two or three blocks. A whole $3.00 pp RT. When you arrive at the Merida terminal, walk out to the street turn right and walk two or three blocks to the central plaza. There are plenty of benches to rest. Visit Casa de Montejo, built in 1549, now serving as a bank and walk into the courtyard. You will see cutouts in the arches showing the original stonework. The large pink building is city hall built in the 1700s but the clock tower says 1821 which is when the tower was added. As you continue around the plaza there is a good ice cream parlor with some very good tropical flavors. Then there is the Governor's building with two uniformed guards at the entrance. Walk in and checkout the gigantic paintings on the second floor. Then of course is the oldest cathedral of the Americas, built in 1561.

Then a walk further up Calle 60 to see some other old churches. Stop on Plaza Hildalgo and a coffee, coke or Montejo beer at the sidewalk cafe and a rest. Peak into the Hotel Gran a hundred year old hotel that resembles a movie set and loaded with antiques. I' ve stayed there a couple of times. Beautiful dresses in the hotel store. Formal.

Then finally a carriage ride that takes you out onto Paseo Montejo, a broad, upscale European style blvd with many old mansions and residences Twenty bucks per load for about 50 minutes.

Not necessarily cheap, but there is a gift shop on Calle 62 a block or two from the central plaza where I have bght several Mexican nativity sets that I love. Prices are fixed. La Casa de los ARTESANOS.

Generally, beer all over Merida and Progreso is TWO dollars. Quite good. If you are conoseurs (?) of beer try the Michalena beer at Havana Cafe on Calle 62 near the gift shop. Pretty spicey. You can also buy fresh roasted coffee beans that are excellent.

If you have time ask directions to the Mercado (central market) where the residents shop for all their needs. The small stands in the market that sell turkey tacos are great,. The market is very large and not too far from the Merida bus terminal.

Lots of places to sit and relax in every block

Buying vanilla is an absolute must.

Pick up a print copy of Yucatan Today before you leave Progreso. Great resource. The publisher has done several water colors of Merida and the Yucatan. The prints are available in most gift shops and very reasonable. $5 or 6 matted.

Have a great time and please let us know your experiences when you return. Take plenty of film or memory. Lots of good photo ops.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 months later...
My preference is to strike out for Merida on my own. I don't like the herd mentality and moving at someone elses pace. Merida is so very easy to do on your own. Also the Yucatan state is very safe. Repeat, very safe. When the courtesy bus drops you just ask directions to the Progreso bus terminal. Two or three blocks. A whole $3.00 pp RT. When you arrive at the Merida terminal, walk out to the street turn right and walk two or three blocks to the central plaza. There are plenty of benches to rest. Visit Casa de Montejo, built in 1549, now serving as a bank and walk into the courtyard. You will see cutouts in the arches showing the original stonework. The large pink building is city hall built in the 1700s but the clock tower says 1821 which is when the tower was added. As you continue around the plaza there is a good ice cream parlor with some very good tropical flavors. Then there is the Governor's building with two uniformed guards at the entrance. Walk in and checkout the gigantic paintings on the second floor. Then of course is the oldest cathedral of the Americas, built in 1561.

Then a walk further up Calle 60 to see some other old churches. Stop on Plaza Hildalgo and a coffee, coke or Montejo beer at the sidewalk cafe and a rest. Peak into the Hotel Gran a hundred year old hotel that resembles a movie set and loaded with antiques. I' ve stayed there a couple of times. Beautiful dresses in the hotel store. Formal.

Then finally a carriage ride that takes you out onto Paseo Montejo, a broad, upscale European style blvd with many old mansions and residences Twenty bucks per load for about 50 minutes.

Not necessarily cheap, but there is a gift shop on Calle 62 a block or two from the central plaza where I have bght several Mexican nativity sets that I love. Prices are fixed. La Casa de los ARTESANOS.

Generally, beer all over Merida and Progreso is TWO dollars. Quite good. If you are conoseurs (?) of beer try the Michalena beer at Havana Cafe on Calle 62 near the gift shop. Pretty spicey. You can also buy fresh roasted coffee beans that are excellent.

If you have time ask directions to the Mercado (central market) where the residents shop for all their needs. The small stands in the market that sell turkey tacos are great,. The market is very large and not too far from the Merida bus terminal.

Lots of places to sit and relax in every block

Buying vanilla is an absolute must.

Pick up a print copy of Yucatan Today before you leave Progreso. Great resource. The publisher has done several water colors of Merida and the Yucatan. The prints are available in most gift shops and very reasonable. $5 or 6 matted.

Have a great time and please let us know your experiences when you return. Take plenty of film or memory. Lots of good photo ops.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the bus to Merida the double deck bus?

Is there a website for the times that the bus runs both ways?

If we want to take a taxi back to Progreso, how much is the rate?

Ok this is just a word of advice to anyone taking that cheap bus to Merida. I did this and it was fine except for on the way back, when I didn't realize they make several stops picking up and dropping off people before taking you back to Progresso. Thank God I left three hours before I needed to be back on the ship, because I think it took close to two hours to get back. I really was getting nervous about missing the ship. This is just something that I didn't know about and I would like to share with anyone that will be taking that bus. I don't want anyone to miss the boat. ( ship );):) Have fun and yes Merida is beautiful. In fact I am going back next month. ;)

• 2 months later...

We are two couples that will be in Progreso in a few weeks. We would like to go to Uxmal on our own because we want to visit Merida also and have lunch there. And we have some questions...

Does anybody know a good restaurant in downtown (mexican food, of course)?

About how much cost a cab from Progreso to Uxmal, wait there, take us to Merida, wait there, and comeback to Progreso?

Thank you for all the suggestions about Merida

Do you realize that Uxmal is 90 miles from Progreso? And to tour Uxmal you should allow three hours? Minimum two hours. Google a map of the ruins. Also several good maps on http://www.yucatantoday.com

A good pretty courtyard restaurant in Merida is Porto de Perigrino on Calle 57 or 58 between Calle 60 and 62. Pollo Pabile (?) is very good. About $8.00 for dinner.

hdawson, thank you for your response. I think we will eat at Porto de Perigrino, I woulk like to eat cochinita pibill but if not possible, pollo pibill is also a good option.

We know the distance between Progreso and Uxmal. Our ship cruise will be 8 1/2 hours at port. So I think there is time enought to do us we want. What do you think?

Since other posters have said that it cost them $40-45 to hire a taxi to take them to the DZ ruins, wait while they tour and then take them to the central plaza in Merida for drop off, (no return) I'm guessing a taxi to Uxmal, wait, then to Merida and wait and then return to Progreso at least $100. Last time I bght gas in Mexico it was more than in the US. The highway from Merida to Uxmal is very good and traffic is light.

The restaurant is very pretty and kind of romantic. Well, to me. Service excellent.

More importantly, don't forget to buy plenty of vanilla. I'm running out.

Is it cheap to buy vanilla there? What do you use vanilla for? I use it ocasionally when I make flan ( crème caramele ).

I looked for the Restaurant you recomended me in google and it looks great! (It is called "Pórtico del peregrino")

I have been looking to book a taxi from Progreso but I have not found any e-mail address... does anybody know some taxi´s web page from Progreso?

It's not the price of vanilla, although it is not expensive, it's just that it is superior to what we buy domestically. Cookies, other baked goods and especially my french toast. The fragarence is great while cooking. I"ve read a number of posts of cruisers bringing back vanilla for that little travel gift for family and friends.

Taxis should be available at the pier or flea market.

Archived