Carnival Glory Bed Bugs

Marriedparamedic

My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Glory 10/10/09-10/17/09. 1:30pm got in cabin sat on bed got a couple bites figured oh must be a mosquito in here. Went around the ship had a drink explored a little went to get ready for dinner but luggage was not there yet at 6:00pm so went to dinner. Came back put clothes away got ready for bed started getting bitten immediately we then contacted guest services and were instructed to go to the infirmary where i was given hydrocortizone cream. Went back to our room which was full of housekeeping staff who told us there is nothing there and we may have brought it in in our luggage. Well not the case since i was being bitten prior to my luggage getting there around 630pm. Went to bed that night where i continued to get more bites. The next morning in the Bahamas where i got to spend maybe an hr because we had to go back to the infirmary as I now had 78 bites and my husband 30. I was given 2 shots and put on steroids. Housekeeping then completely gutted our room and replaced everything including the drapes. We did notice the mattresses in a dumpster. Of course formal dinner was missed as I really did not want my bitten legs seen in public. To make a long story short Carnival has and will do nothing for us as they state "We did not find the bugs" Of course after everything was replaced we never had another bite. Word of Warning do some research on bed bugs and check your bed! bed_bug_bites.jpg

This is disturbing, but could've happened anywhere. Bedbugs have nothing to do w/ cleanliness.

They can be found in even the ritziest hotels, so you should check your bed for them no matter where you go. You can also take them home with you in your clothes and luggage. It has been a real problem in the last few years and is just a part of traveling.

"To make a long story short Carnival has and will do nothing for us "

Do some research and know what to look for. Really CCL did the best and only thing they could have done. Not sure what else you wanted them to do?

Again, sorry this happened, it was diffenetly not a pleasant experience.

My husband travels frequently for business and we always google the hotel for bedbugs, and once he gets there he checks the bed before he settles in. Once we received an email for Colonial Williamsburg, and when I googled the hotel it had a huge bed bug problem. Needless to say we didn't book. I also always google the name of the ship for bed bugs before booking. You'd be surprised there out there. Better safe than sorry.

Can happen anywhere, anytime. So sorry for this unfortunate experience. Appears that Carnival did what they could - where you charged for the infirmary visit? what did you expect? a free cruise...

If it ever happens a gain search the seams of the mattress and capture one or two of the critters and take them to the pursurs desk - then maybe some OBC would be offered as well.

1:30pm got in cabin sat on bed got a couple bites figured oh must be a mosquito in here. Went around the ship had a drink explored a little went to get ready for dinner but luggage was not there yet at 6:00pm so went to dinner. Came back put clothes away got ready for bed started getting bitten immediately we then contacted guest services and were instructed to go to the infirmary where i was given hydrocortizone cream. Went back to our room which was full of housekeeping staff who told us there is nothing there and we may have brought it in in our luggage. Well not the case since i was being bitten prior to my luggage getting there around 630pm. Went to bed that night where i continued to get more bites. The next morning in the Bahamas where i got to spend maybe an hr because we had to go back to the infirmary as I now had 78 bites and my husband 30. I was given 2 shots and put on steroids. Housekeeping then completely gutted our room and replaced everything including the drapes. We did notice the mattresses in a dumpster.

I don't know. I guess anything is possible. However, a couple of things about this post bother me and I have highlighted them.

1) Bedbug bites are felt by the person, when being bit. (anything is possible). Normally one notices the itch and or the "spot" caused by the bite. Bedbugs do not "bite and run", they normally attach themselves to the body and feast for 4 or 5 minutes or more. (anything is possible). Apparently these bites were on a noticeable part of the anatomy as she didn't want to expose her bug bitten legs to the formal dinner crowd. With its' eating habits, she certainly would have noticed the bugs as they bit her.

2) Seeing the mattress in a dumpster. Perhaps she used the wrong terminology, but I have never noticed a dumpster on any of cruise ships I have sailed on. Yet she spotted one that fortuitously contained the very mattresses from their stateroom.(I will admit to never looking for one though). (once again anything is possible).

I have no idea if the OP and her husband were bitten by bedbugs. I believe, if they were, the place to check (blame) would be where they slept the night before (whether that be their home or a hotel).

BTW, doesn't a similar thread appear on C/C every 3 or 4 months?

(from University of Kentucky Entymology article) http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp

Bed bugs usually bite people at night while they are sleeping. They feed by piercing the skin with an elongated beak through which they withdraw blood. Engorgement takes about three to 10 minutes, yet the person seldom knows they are being bitten. Bed bugs normally do not reside on people like head or body lice ? immediately after feeding they crawl off and reside elsewhere to digest their meal. Symptoms after being bitten vary with the individual. Many develop an itchy red welt or localized swelling within a day or so of the bite. Others have little or no reaction, and in some people the reaction is delayed. Unlike flea bites that occur mainly around the ankles, bed bugs feed on any skin exposed while sleeping (face, neck, shoulders, back, arms, legs, etc.). The welts and itching are often wrongly attributed to other causes, such as mosquitoes. For these reasons, infestations may go a long time unnoticed, and can become quite large before being detected. The likelihood of bed bugs increases if the affected individual has been traveling, or had acquired used beds or furnishings before symptoms started to appear. Bed bugs also are suspect if you wake up with itchy bites you did not have when you went to sleep. Conversely, it is important to recognize that not all bites or bite-like reactions are due to bed bugs

Yuk. :(

Sorry that you had to experience that....that really sucks.

2) Seeing the mattress in a dumpster. Perhaps she used the wrong terminology, but I have never noticed a dumpster on any of cruise ships I have sailed on. Yet she spotted one that fortuitously contained the very mattresses from their stateroom.(I will admit to never looking for one though). (once again anything is possible).

That's true and I didn't catch it. I've never seen a dumpster on a ship either...I've never seen where they put any of the trash.

As much as we hear this happens on cruise ships (and everywhere) you would think the crew members would know what to look for and handle it better.....instead of saying there is nothing there and you brought it with your luggage especially when the luggage had not arrived yet:rolleyes:

Sorry op I would have been upset to have to go thru that on my vacation.......:(

I normally try to check and first thing I do is get rid of the comforter on the bed.......gives me the creeps......

I would like to see the entire picture. It is just a partial picture. And OP only has 1 post??? Hmmmm:eek:

I am starting to doubt this story...the picture the person has in this post is from a website about bed bugs. It is not a picture the OP took.

I would like to see the entire picture. It is just a partial picture. And OP only has 1 post??? Hmmmm:eek:

It truly sucks, but you can't believe everyone on here :mad:

I Googled 'bed bug bites' and clicked on 'images' and the same exact photo the OP posted was the first photo on the page.

Troll.

*rollseyes*

Interesting to know.

Did you know that Bed Bugs are rarely out in light? Did you know that they are normally not felt when biting you. Did you know any doctor will tell you the body's reaction time is a few days and therefore many people are wrong in where they were bit?

My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Glory 10/10/09-10/17/09. 1:30pm got in cabin sat on bed got a couple bites figured oh must be a mosquito in here. Went around the ship had a drink explored a little went to get ready for dinner but luggage was not there yet at 6:00pm so went to dinner. Came back put clothes away got ready for bed started getting bitten immediately we then contacted guest services and were instructed to go to the infirmary where i was given hydrocortizone cream. Went back to our room which was full of housekeeping staff who told us there is nothing there and we may have brought it in in our luggage. Well not the case since i was being bitten prior to my luggage getting there around 630pm. Went to bed that night where i continued to get more bites. The next morning in the Bahamas where i got to spend maybe an hr because we had to go back to the infirmary as I now had 78 bites and my husband 30. I was given 2 shots and put on steroids. Housekeeping then completely gutted our room and replaced everything including the drapes. We did notice the mattresses in a dumpster. Of course formal dinner was missed as I really did not want my bitten legs seen in public. To make a long story short Carnival has and will do nothing for us as they state "We did not find the bugs" Of course after everything was replaced we never had another bite. Word of Warning do some research on bed bugs and check your bed! bed_bug_bites.jpg

MarriedParamedic,

You posted a picture with your story from 'Bed Bugs Handbook.' Did you intend for us to think that was a picture of you?

Did you read the info that was with the picture?

Bed bugs are small wingless insects that like to live in dark crevices, like on your mattress, bed frame, and other furniture.

The bugs can ride into your house on clothing or crawl out of luggage carried from an infested hotel room.

Bites do not normally require any treatment and will go away on their own in a few days. Bites can be itchy, with any over the counter treatment for itch due to insect bites providing some relief.

Adult bugs are about a quarter of an inch long. Their larvae are the size of a grain of rice and their eggs are the size of a poppy seed. They are easy to miss if you do not look carefully.

From the same site you posted a photo from;

bedbugsmattress.jpg

If they were there, how did you miss seeing them?

Carnivals staff stated they looked for them and did not find any. Perhaps you brought a similar parasite on board with you?

That is so lame it almost funny...that someone would actually have so LITTLE to do or worry about that it would actually OCCUR to someone to waste their time, effort and energy on posting here in an attempt to stir the pot. Cripes.

*shakeshead* I just poppd over to another board and there was a negative 'review' by a new poster who seemed to have the wrong dates for his cruise...reviewed a 7 day that in fact was a 12 day. :rolleyes:

Trolls are on the loose this afternoon it seems. :rolleyes:

*shakeshead* I just poppd over to another board and there was a negative 'review' by a new poster who seemed to have the wrong dates for his cruise...reviewed a 7 day that in fact was a 12 day. :rolleyes:

Trolls are on the loose this afternoon it seems. :rolleyes:

What else do trolls have to do on these rainy gray days......at least they provide us some entertainment.....:p

When ever I get board I love reading negative reviews and looking for those obvious discrepancies........:cool:

If you google Carnival and bed bugs, there are incidents that have happened. Just as in hotels. It is more common than you would think. When I check in a hotel, (even a well rated one) I always lift the mattress & look for bed bug dirt (feces) I don't sweat it but I do look and would certainly report it if I saw some indication of them.

I don't know if the OP is a troll or not, but it doesn't hurt to be aware. Cruise ships also have roaches. You would have to be in denial to think no bugs exist on a cruise ship. I have never personally had a problem with them but recently on a land trip to the mountians of Tn, we brought home a cockroach in our suitcase. Guess it can happen.

Archived