Carnival Glory Bed Bugs

Marriedparamedic

I do remember hearing about the robbery at gunpoint while on our cruise. Was it during the Glory cruise 10/10 to 10/17/09?

I'm sure you all heard about our rescue on the last night? That was pretty amazing.

I did not hear it.....can you give us a brief story....

My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Glory 10/10/09-10/17/09. 1:30pm got in cabin sat on bed got a couple bites figured oh must be a mosquito in here. Went around the ship had a drink explored a little went to get ready for dinner but luggage was not there yet at 6:00pm so went to dinner. Came back put clothes away got ready for bed started getting bitten immediately we then contacted guest services and were instructed to go to the infirmary where i was given hydrocortizone cream. Went back to our room which was full of housekeeping staff who told us there is nothing there and we may have brought it in in our luggage. Well not the case since i was being bitten prior to my luggage getting there around 630pm. Went to bed that night where i continued to get more bites. The next morning in the Bahamas where i got to spend maybe an hr because we had to go back to the infirmary as I now had 78 bites and my husband 30. I was given 2 shots and put on steroids. Housekeeping then completely gutted our room and replaced everything including the drapes. We did notice the mattresses in a dumpster. Of course formal dinner was missed as I really did not want my bitten legs seen in public. To make a long story short Carnival has and will do nothing for us as they state "We did not find the bugs" Of course after everything was replaced we never had another bite. Word of Warning do some research on bed bugs and check your bed! bed_bug_bites.jpg

Bed Bugs are very nasty. I hope that when yoi got home that you researched the best way to clean your luggage. That is how they travel from place to place. Your luggae could be infested just from sitting in bed a short time. DH came home from San Diego and I took the luggage (emptied) and stored it in a large plastic bag in our very hot (hot tub) room for about 6 months. This will kill off the bugs and the offspring.

Thank you all for justifying our choice to cruise other lines.

That is without a doubt the most ignorant reply I have ever seen on a forum board. And I mean ever. What are you passively agressively trying to imply?

Bed bugs are not indiginous to people who sail Carnival. I would even venture a guess that the bed bugs the ship do become infested with come from the hotels the people stay in the night before the cruise.

I've read most of the Glory reviews in the past few months due to we'll be sailing on her again Halloween. I read where they were already starting to switch out the mattresses on the ship. And friends who sailed 2 or 3 weeks ago, said they had a new mattress. So yes the switching of the mattress is very believable to me. As for bed bugs, I wasn't there, so I don't know. But I will be checking out our mattress 1st thing.

I've been reading and reading all the posts and I'm sorry, but I have to put in my two cents. As a retired Health Department employee, I worked in the department that did inspections of hotels, restaurants etc. I know what bed bugs look like and how/where they live. It is possible that this person got them from the ship, however, if that room was so infested that she got them when she sat on the bed, then they would have still been in that room after the mattress was removed. And she said, once the mattress was removed, she had no more problems. I've seen them live in the carpet, behind the headboard, in the lamp shade and in the corners of the walls. But she said that after the mattress was removed, she had no other problems. I just don't believe that she was bitten from bed bugs. Not with what I know from my inspections. Sure, anything is possible, but I would guess that it was something other that bed bugs. Like I said, just my two cents.

I've been reading and reading all the posts and I'm sorry, but I have to put in my two cents. As a retired Health Department employee, I worked in the department that did inspections of hotels, restaurants etc. I know what bed bugs look like and how/where they live. It is possible that this person got them from the ship, however, if that room was so infested that she got them when she sat on the bed, then they would have still been in that room after the mattress was removed. And she said, once the mattress was removed, she had no more problems. I've seen them live in the carpet, behind the headboard, in the lamp shade and in the corners of the walls. But she said that after the mattress was removed, she had no other problems. I just don't believe that she was bitten from bed bugs. Not with what I know from my inspections. Sure, anything is possible, but I would guess that it was something other that bed bugs. Like I said, just my two cents.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is without a doubt the most ignorant reply I have ever seen on a forum board. And I mean ever. What are you passively agressively trying to imply?

Bed bugs are not indiginous to people who sail Carnival. I would even venture a guess that the bed bugs the ship do become infested with come from the hotels the people stay in the night before the cruise.

Not what I meant at all. Just don't want to sail the Glory until it has been in drydock. Bedbugs are very hard to exterminate from what I have read.

Also, just don't understand why on this forum people are so defensive. The best hotels in the world have bedbugs - read reviews on some of the travel sites. Why does everyone get so defensive about Carnival? I like Carnival too but it is not perfect. I like Outback, but if I had a choice would go to Flemings. Doesn't make me a bad person just like it doesn't make you a bad person because you prefer Carnival. It is not a reason to attack someone. Do you honestly think with all the problems in this world any of this is really all that important? JMHO.

actually in all fairness to the OP she said houskeeping gutted the room and even replaced the drapes.

They may have replaced the drapes, but they would not have been able to replace the carpets or take down those headboards that are attached to the wall, those little bugs hide everywhere during the day. I believe the OP when she said that she was bitten from something, but I don't thing it was bedbugs. It could have also the people in the room before them had a service dog that may have gotten fleas and slept on the bed. My dogs sleep with me, but I make sure they don't have any fleas.

Not what I meant at all. Just don't want to sail the Glory until it has been in drydock. Bedbugs are very hard to exterminate from what I have read.

Also, just don't understand why on this forum people are so defensive. The best hotels in the world have bedbugs - read reviews on some of the travel sites. Why does everyone get so defensive about Carnival? I like Carnival too but it is not perfect. I like Outback, but if I had a choice would go to Flemings. Doesn't make me a bad person just like it doesn't make you a bad person because you prefer Carnival. It is not a reason to attack someone. Do you honestly think with all the problems in this world any of this is really all that important? JMHO.

Just for the record, while I find nothing wrong with Carnival, esp now with the dining situation changed, it is not my prefered line.

Just for the record, while I find nothing wrong with Carnival, esp now with the dining situation changed, it is not my prefered line.

The dining situation is still the same, the only thing that has changed, is the option for anytime dining. If you want early dining or late dining, then request it.

As much as we hear this happens on cruise ships (and everywhere) you would think the crew members would know what to look for and handle it better.....instead of saying there is nothing there and you brought it with your luggage especially when the luggage had not arrived yet:rolleyes:

Sorry op I would have been upset to have to go thru that on my vacation.......:(

I normally try to check and first thing I do is get rid of the comforter on the bed.......gives me the creeps......

One of my friends is a frequent traveler for work and for vacation. Once, after a trip downunder where she stayed in youth hostels, she noticed upon her return home that she may have brought some "critters" back with her. When she laid very still on her bed for 10 to 15 minutes the little "buggers" would emerge, it seemed, literally from the fibers of her comforter to seek out her warm body. Thus, my point is that a bedbug infestation would not necessarily be apparent to room stewards who hopefully are not lying still for 15 minutes on the beds in the passenger cabins. She called an exterminator who sprayed her box spring (by law he was not permitted to spray the mattress) with a chemical insecticide. She laundered her bed clothes in hot water multiple times, and for a while, all was well........until, a couple weeks later the little busters reared their infamous heads. The exterminator was called again, he again treated the box spring, but cautioned that she'd probably have to throw out her mattress and box spring---which she did. Afterwards, he treated her bedroom walls (these critters can lie dormant in drywall for quite some time) and she bought a new bed and linens. No problem after that. Bottom line is, the best way to test whether or not your cabin bed has bedbugs is to lie still on the bed for 15 minutes or more in dim light and see if anything happens. Unless they are gorged with blood, it may be difficult to see them; you need to be specifically looking for them. Macabre, I know. But that nursery rhyme "...Don't let the bedbugs bite" didn't come from nowhere. Bedbugs are making a resurgence after many decades of absence (at least in the United States).

For all 0f you who have validated my story thank you. For those of you that have basically called me a liar all I can say is, I hope this never happens to you. This post was written as a warning to people to check your beds for these critters. I really am in shock at some of the comments written but oh well that is your business.

For all 0f you who have validated my story thank you. For those of you that have basically called me a liar all I can say is, I hope this never happens to you. This post was written as a warning to people to check your beds for these critters. I really am in shock at some of the comments written but oh well that is your business.

I think what fired some up was that you borrowed a photo from another site and tried to pass it off as your own. Plus so much of your story just does not make medical sense.

Please know that many more read and don't post so your thread is appreciated more then you know:)

They may have replaced the drapes, but they would not have been able to replace the carpets or take down those headboards that are attached to the wall, those little bugs hide everywhere during the day. I believe the OP when she said that she was bitten from something, but I don't thing it was bedbugs. It could have also the people in the room before them had a service dog that may have gotten fleas and slept on the bed. My dogs sleep with me, but I make sure they don't have any fleas.

WHOA........In order to get a Service Dog on a cruise ship you must prove that the dog is on Heartguard and Advantix [or some other flea/tick abatement].....DO NOT and I mean DO NOT even suggest that a Service Dog brought in any bug or the like to the room.

I have had my Service Dog for over 7 years and she has NEVER had a flea or even so much as a fly on her fur.......She is brushed daily and I check her even for crumbs when she comes out from under a table, after we've eaten.

Chacooe: You're comment distresses me, especially someone who walks with a Service Dog, to even make such a suggestion to the general public is a terrible idea, to say the least.

We work way to hard to get our dogs in the public venue and you start this.............??????? :(

WHOA........In order to get a Service Dog on a cruise ship you must prove that the dog is on Heartguard and Advantix [or some other flea/tick abatement].....DO NOT and I mean DO NOT even suggest that a Service Dog brought in any bug or the like to the room.

I have had my Service Dog for over 7 years and she has NEVER had a flea or even so much as a fly on her fur.......She is brushed daily and I check her even for crumbs when she comes out from under a table, after we've eaten.

Chacooe: You're comment distresses me, especially someone who walks with a Service Dog, to even make such a suggestion to the general public is a terrible idea, to say the least.

We work way to hard to get our dogs in the public venue and you start this.............??????? :(

Your a bit over sensitive there aren't you? I am sure your dog is a good one and is taken care of very well, but it is still a dog. DO NOT and I mean DO NOT assume every person cares for their dog the way you do.

And while I am on this, how do you PROVE your dog is on flea stuff? Just because you bought it does not mean it got into the dog. Is there some kind of blood work they can do?

Using photos that are not yours - while passing it off as yours is deceitful. That makes anything you say open to questions.

Bedbugs are a common pest everywhere. When found, they can be controlled and eliminated.

Personally, based on your story and the phony photo, I'm inclined to think you were more likely bitten by sand fleas which are everywhere in that entire area.....

Archived