Cruising grandparents

Bridge Maven

Having grandchildren have really no effect on selecting a cruise since it is just my husband and I who cruise.

We do like it when a cruise begins or ends in Florida as we can combine a visit with grandkids who live down there.

However, lately our grandchildren have had an effect on our cruising. With today's economy and our being retired, we have had to choose between visitng grandkids out of state (we have family in Florida and Texas) or cruising. We were supposed to do a transatlantic this Nov., but had to choose between visiting the grandkids a couple of times during the year or doing the transatlantic. We ended up cancelling the trans just before final payment was due as I felt spending time with my grandchildren to be more important.

Bill and I really look forward to cruising since our grandchildren have arrived. While their mom and dad are at work I keep Brett 5 and Regan 2 three days during the week. While I love every second of it, our cruise time is a very special time for just the two of us! Although our choices for cruises hasn't changed, the anticipation is much greater. ;)

But, I do miss them when we're away.

Patty

Our first cruise was in 1995, before our children were married. Now that the grandchildren are here, I can't say that they have greatly impacted our cruising, although as my eldest grandson gets older, he wants to come with us. As much as I would love to show him the world, I'm not ready to give up the time relaxing with my husband, or to manage a young child on port excursions. In time, though. Perhaps a summertime cruise.

Mary

We started cruising with our children when they were in grade school. What wonderful memories we have made. Because now they are grown and have given us 7 grandchildren. The oldest will be 18 this December, and has been on 18 cruise with us. We try to take one cruise each year by ourselves, and one with our grandchildren. They can't always go at the same time, but we have managed quite a few times when we have all been together. There is no easier way to travel as a family, everything is done for you. All we need to do is enjoy!!! Our next cruise is spring break with the 2 oldest ones and their parents. Leaving from San Juan on the Millennium.We truly feel we have been blessed!!! Carlotta

Why would your family have any effect on the vacation you choose????

If there are two cruises that I am considering that are equal in all respects - length, price, ports - but one is from Florida or Texas and the other is from some other state, I would probably choose the one that is from Florida or Texas over the other because I can extend that cruise with a pre and post cruise stay with my grandkids in those states. What a nice way to extend your cruise vacation with an extra visit pre and/or post cruise to see out of state grandkids!

But if there is a cruise that I really want to take, I would book it no matter where it is from.

Why would your family have any effect on the vacation you choose????

There's a cruise we really wanted to take next spring, but we wouldn't get back until after our granddaughter's high school graduation. She's already invited us - first things first.

Archived