Spa services on Carnival?

sherrintxs

For you that have used their spas, how was it? Worth the money or is it a thing I should pass on?

I passed on it in August, but now I am thinking this time I will go ahead. Any comments or suggestions?

Also, has anyone ever had the "stylin' Session" says it is a funky cut and color after a personalized consultation with your stylist. Is having your hair cut and colored on the boat a bad idea??

TIA

The only experience I've had was on the Sensation Sept 04. They had a special and since it was my anniversary I opted for a acrylic fill, pedicure and facial. The price for the fill DID NOT include color, that was another 14.00!!!! I've had my nails done in many different salon and that was the first time I had to pay extra for a color after a fill and they did not disclose that until I checked out. I confirmed this on my Conquest cruise and it is still priced like that. I was not happy.

My daughter had a "Up-do" done on this last cruise for 40.00. I thought it was expensive but wanted to treat her.

The Spa staff often tries to sell you on products to take home. On the Conquest they even had a little shop on the SPA deck.

My experience is that they are very pushy on products, make sure you get the name of the person quoting you the price and get it in writing. They love to book you with something and charge higher. The way they get out of this is that they say the person who quoted you this was new and all they can do is appologize. They will not refund you a dime! Keep in mind that they are sub-contractors and do NOT work for Carnival so going to the purser's desk is wasted time. "Cavoit Emptor" Buyer Beware.

Just back from the Elation Christmas cruise (did the same last year) and noticed that this year in the spa you had to book two services together. Couldn't just have a massage or a manicure or a pedicure. Had to go for at least two procedures. Not worth it. I passed.

I went on the Jubilee in May 03. I had a facial/foot massage last day special. Yes, they did encourage their products. If they weren't so expensive, I'd have bought them because they were awesome products. I paid $69 I think for the facial/foot massage special. That's not a bad price, if you consider how much the same service is around town at the day spas here. I pay $75 for a massage or a facial at the ones here. I guess to me it's sort of like the drink complaint with people complaining the drink prices are too high. I've not found that - if you go to a bar you'd pay just about the same amount as you do on board and the soft drink prices are only about 50¢ higher than the restaurants around here. So I can usually overlook a bit higher price.

I was very pleased with the service and my skin looked awesome for a long time. They can't MAKE you buy the products. Just say no. When I said no, I'm not interested right now that was the end of it. In fact, to my memory she didn't really push the products that much, I had to ask her what the acne cream was she used.

And I loved listening to her cooing British accent as she explained what she was doing.

My opinion, and it's only that, is that it's worth it. I get products pushed at me everywhere I go - but no one can make me. Many businesses use a minimum for you to use their services. The day spa I go to requires you to book an hour rather than just a half hour - no problem, I just wait until I have an hour to do it.

It's your vacation - you're worth a little splurge if you are interested in the spa.

I've gotten a facial on the Victory and the Destiny and enjoyed them although they are overpriced. The full hour facial with special collagin treatment is $90 when you catch it on sale on the ship. I took a tip from this board before I went in this last time though- on your form you fill out before they see you, just write "no products, no sales tactics" and they won't bother you.

I am looking at a flyer from the Valor Spa. It offers these LAST CRUISE DAY SPECIAL..

Spa Facial only $29. 25min.

Foot and ankle or scalpmassage $29..30 min

Beauty Cocktail nine for $64 or three for $45.

it includes.. conditioning hair treatment, scalp massage,

Foot & ankle massage, french hand spa,

Collage eye treatment, bronzing makeup

hand & arm massage 5 foils, mini facial

pressure point facial massage

Relaxation Treatment $19 ( half price) 3 hours sleep in just 30 minutes..

Personal Training.. only $1 per minute today only!

Such a deal....

MOM: Is that for the last day of the cruise deal??? Not on the morning you are leaving?? Those prices are very cheap compared to what I have seen.

I have been looking for prices so I know what I want before I get there. I dont want them to talk me into something.

Myself and my partner had two different experiences:

I had a wonderful hour massage, it was my first massage ever and was fantastic. There was no (none) sales tactics at the end. She did not even mention products. I was like a limp dishrag at the end. It was a bit pricey and after having seen posts here and my own observations onboard, I would wait for in port specials or last day specials.

My partner was infuriated after his massage. The person doing his massage would not stop talking to him, asking questions, etc. He did try not acknowledging her, but she would just continue on. She said (he clears his throat alot) it sounded like he needed some water. She left to get him some water (during the treatment) and was gone for at least 5 minutes and came back without any water. When she was done, she told him she had some suggestions for products. He politely declined, saying the massage was a gift and he was not interested. She ignored this and said, he would really benefit from the products. Again he said no thank you. She told him, she would write up a quote while he got dressed. Again he said not to bother he was not interested. When he left the treatment room to find me, she was there and followed him with her quote for products. Now he was getting really PO'd, and told her NO THANK YOU. She told him he really should consider it, they would be beneficial. He finally had to go into the locker room to get away from her. He complained to the asst. manager on duty at the spa, she said she would look into it. They called and offered a 1 hour massage to make up for it. We figured they were handeling it well. When he asked later if he could split it into 2 1/2 hour treatments they said, your only booked for a 1/2 hour massage. I was there and know this is not what they said they would do. He complained to the pursers office about the bad cust service at the spa. The purser said they would look into it. They called back and said that the spa is a contractor on the ship and they (carnival) had no control over them. (they are on a ship owned by carnival, you'd think they would have some pull) Anyway, after I called to talk to the manager of the spa. They agreed to do the 1 hour massage they had originally agreed to. His second massage was wonderful, with no sales pressure at the end.

To sum up this long winded (sorry) review. Watch for the in port special and be very up front with the no sales / no products at the end. It can be a very relaxing time. Carnival and the spa, just need to work on cust service a bit, it seems that alot of things that happen can be easily remedied with a little good cust service.

Archived