Video: Santorini (and advice on the hike from Fira to Oia!)

zubs

what is the price for a donkey ride?

4 Euros for the cable car one way, right?

bus ride price from Fira to Oia?

thanks!

In November, the cable car was 4 euros each way and the donkey was 5 euros each way.

DH took the cable car both ways and I rode a donkey both ways. The donkey ride was one of the highlights of my whole trip.

I agree that the donkey ride up was more fun than the way down. My donkey went at its own pace. It stopped when it felt like it, giving me amazing views and I was able to frequently let go and take pictures. On the way down, the donkey went faster and I had to hang on the whole way but it was still fun.

We'll probably take a cab back from Oia to Fira - are the cabs accessible? Are there usually lines to get one?
Taxis can be scarce on the island in general but especially in Oia late in the afternoon. It's best to have or know the bus schedule just in case--it was the only way we got back to the ship on time!

• 2 weeks later...
The three who went on the walk had planned to do the walk and regretted doing it. But the three of us who stayed back in town decided to price out different tour options at the tour shops that were everywhere.

One that was tempting was a boat ride to the island with the volcano and the other island with the hot springs. That one would have taken 3 hours and was a reasonable 20 Euros (I think that was the price).

The one we decided to do was with a private driver. They took us in a 9-passenger van (it was nice and had air conditioning).

So while we didn't research what to do (other than the ill-fated hike), we managed to find something the day-of that was very much worth it. We saw some great spots we would have never found on our own by renting a car, and we all just paid 15 Euros a piece for 3 hours of a nice car ride, excellent stops and a pretty knowledgeable guide.

I can't think of the name off the top of my head (I do have a paper somewhere!). But, say you're standing in front of the archeological museum right by where you pick up the cable cars. If you're facing the door to the museum, turn directly behind you and there will be a restaurant (blue) and the tour shop is attached to it. The guy in there will ask everyone: "Have you ever seen The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?" Apparently part of the film was taped on the steps of their shop :) You can't miss it (and his bald head).

:)

do you know if there's time to do both the volcano AND the bus to Oia?

do you know if there's time to do both the volcano AND the bus to Oia?

Well, I'm sure you could. It depends on how long you want to spend at Oia.

I'm always reluctant to turn a day ashore into a travel itinerary; I think there's a danger you get so caught up in the itinerary that forget to enjoy the sights. Personally, I'd rather go to one place and really, really savour and enjoy that.

Well, I'm sure you could. It depends on how long you want to spend at Oia.

I'm always reluctant to turn a day ashore into a travel itinerary; I think there's a danger you get so caught up in the itinerary that forget to enjoy the sights. Personally, I'd rather go to one place and really, really savour and enjoy that.

I'm sure we can't spend a full day at the volcano, or am I wrong?

We're docked from 8 am to 9 pm. I just didn't know if I have to go back to a main area, pick up a bus, etc, and was there time for that.

I'm sure we can't spend a full day at the volcano, or am I wrong?

We're docked from 8 am to 9 pm. I just didn't know if I have to go back to a main area, pick up a bus, etc, and was there time for that.

Yes you could. Also, I didn't intend my previous comment to sound snippy, and perhaps it did - for which I apologise.

The key thing is to be clear about the geography of Santorini. This is a link to a map of the island(s). What's significant is that 'the volcano' is actually the island in the middle of the caldera, labelled 'Nea Kameni' on the map. The ship will anchor in the caldera somewhere close to Fira, but of course Fira is up on top of the cliff on the main island. So to do both the volcano and Oia in a day, you'd need to go in different directions - onto Nea Kameni on the morning, and then toto the main island below Fira in the afternoon, and get the cablecar up. There is one advantage in not going up to Fira until later - there won't be as long a queue for the cablecar. Then you've got issues as to when the next bus to Oia is, or looking for a taxi; and once you're there, there are further possible issues about getting back to Thira in time to queue for the cablecar down. That was the sort of practical issue that I had in mind when I posted my previous comment.

I took some pictures of the caldera and the cablecars, in context, a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they're published on a site that I can't link to direct from here, but here's a link to a page in my blog that has links on to that other site - look for the 'Santorini Cablecars' link onwards. There's one good picture of the caldera and Fira at the top from the ship.

Yes you could. Also, I didn't intend my previous comment to sound snippy, and perhaps it did - for which I apologise.

The key thing is to be clear about the geography of Santorini. This is a link to a map of the island(s). What's significant is that 'the volcano' is actually the island in the middle of the caldera, labelled 'Nea Kameni' on the map. The ship will anchor in the caldera somewhere close to Fira, but of course Fira is up on top of the cliff on the main island. So to do both the volcano and Oia in a day, you'd need to go in different directions - onto Nea Kameni on the morning, and then toto the main island below Fira in the afternoon, and get the cablecar up. There is one advantage in not going up to Fira until later - there won't be as long a queue for the cablecar. Then you've got issues as to when the next bus to Oia is, or looking for a taxi; and once you're there, there are further possible issues about getting back to Thira in time to queue for the cablecar down. That was the sort of practical issue that I had in mind when I posted my previous comment.

I took some pictures of the caldera and the cablecars, in context, a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they're published on a site that I can't link to direct from here, but here's a link to a page in my blog that has links on to that other site - look for the 'Santorini Cablecars' link onwards. There's one good picture of the caldera and Fira at the top from the ship.

this is great. Thanks

I'm just slightly confused tho, since I've never been there

After we tender, do I NOT take the cable car in order to do the volcano first. Are there boats waiting that I can hire to take me to the volcano?

Linda

this is great. Thanks

I'm just slightly confused tho, since I've never been there

After we tender, do I NOT take the cable car in order to do the volcano first. Are there boats waiting that I can hire to take me to the volcano?

Linda

OK - Getting to the volcano, and then from there to Oia:

a) almost certainly the cruise line will run a half-day excursion. In this case you will be taken direct from the ship to Nea Kameni;

b) if you don't do that you can probably get a trip from a local boat from the small port below Fira; this is where you'll be tendered to if you just 'go ashore'. But I don't have any details as to what sort of trip is available;

c) if you do a ship's excursion to the volcano you'll need to check where you'll be taken back to in the tender at the end; probably back to the ship, but it could be to the small port below Fira.

d) if you do the local excursion then you'll certainly be taken back to where you started, i.e. the small port below Fira;

e) then to get to Oia you have to get up to Fira! - the easiest way is by the cablecar;

f) when you come out of the cable car turn your back to the caldera and walk ahead until you hit a busy road with cars, motorbikes, etc, on it (you might have to zig-zag a bit to achieve this). When you reach the road turn right and walk for maybe a quarter of a mile or so along it. There's a large-ish pull-in (actually, an open area of gravel/tarmac) on the left-hand side of the road as you're walking towards it: That's the bus 'station', from where you can get a bus to Oia. The main taxi waiting area is next door to it.

I'm kind of re-thinking our day now. We are in port from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and we are just exploring on our own. Given that we have quite a bit of time, it will be nice to be able to get up, work out and not have to rush right off the ship, but I'm sure that we'll still be off by 9:00 or 10:00. However, the plan was to get to Fira, some of us by donkey and the others by cable car, and then getting a cab to Oia. Once in Oia, we just planned on exploring, having lunch, wandering, etc. Can we fill a whole day like this? In looking at the map posted by Tom-UK, it looks like there are lots of beaches - any nearby Oia?

OK - Getting to the volcano, and then from there to Oia:

a) almost certainly the cruise line will run a half-day excursion. In this case you will be taken direct from the ship to Nea Kameni;

b) if you don't do that you can probably get a trip from a local boat from the small port below Fira; this is where you'll be tendered to if you just 'go ashore'. But I don't have any details as to what sort of trip is available;

c) if you do a ship's excursion to the volcano you'll need to check where you'll be taken back to in the tender at the end; probably back to the ship, but it could be to the small port below Fira.

d) if you do the local excursion then you'll certainly be taken back to where you started, i.e. the small port below Fira;

e) then to get to Oia you have to get up to Fira! - the easiest way is by the cablecar;

f) when you come out of the cable car turn your back to the caldera and walk ahead until you hit a busy road with cars, motorbikes, etc, on it (you might have to zig-zag a bit to achieve this). When you reach the road turn right and walk for maybe a quarter of a mile or so along it. There's a large-ish pull-in (actually, an open area of gravel/tarmac) on the left-hand side of the road as you're walking towards it: That's the bus 'station', from where you can get a bus to Oia. The main taxi waiting area is next door to it.

You've totally redeemed yourself:) This is wonderful stuff here. (We will be DIY, not with the ship).

This certainly will be helpful for anyone logging in here.

Linda

Hello!

J

My favorite stop was Santorini (which is why I've already finished a video about it!). Before we left, I had asked a question on the board about many recommendations I ran across concerning the hike from Fira to Oia. I had read up a lot online about it, and a few that we were with even read about the hike in Frommer's.The video can be viewed here.

We'll be in Santorini on June 4, and just wanted you to know that your video was great - most entertaining! Thanks for the info. We're definitely not hiking or doing the donkey ride. Thanks for sharing & doing the hard work!

This is great information! LOVED the video...had a good chuckle while watching it!

I guess my main question (along with others writing in the thread) is...is it physically possible to spend 1/2 the day at the volcano, and the other 1/2 exploring Fira / Oia? I am very interested in photographing the scenery...no other major "plans" for Fira/Oia.

I'm hoping that people will post their experiences when they return from their trips...it will help those of us who have not done their trip yet! (I have to wait until next summer...boo!:mad:)

Loved the video. Think we will rent a car and do our own thing. We will be in Santorini from 2PM through 10PM. In fact we are looking to meet our friends who are on another ship that day but they leave at 5PM or so. I only hope the cable cars won't be too busy when we get there. I think there are only 2 ships docked that day.

Again thinks for the video.

Karen

You know! I never even mentioned where we went in the car! They did take us to Oia, but the driver kept saying something about "Oprah! Oprah's been here. You know, she did her show here?"

The place in the video with the table right by the water with the orange chairs + cute little tug boats bobbing in the water? SO pretty! Very small little place on the rocks, but it was honestly so cute (and a quick stop) but I was really happy that we saw it.

So if you're in your car headed to Oia, ask the driver to take you to where "Oprah! You know, she did her show there!" :)

After a quick Googling, I am wondering if its official name is Amoudi Harbor, but not completely sure.

LOVED it!

The Video was so funny- thank you. It is through the efforts of people like you that we can plan and enhance our travel. We will definitly be on the cable car and bus in Santorini and will try to fit in the Gold Goat at the Prehistoric Museum- My hubby would love that! We sail on the 14th of MAy and would love any more hints you have, going to Istanbul, Then the greek Isles. sometimes searching requires long hours of reading different threads to gather all the good info. So glad I stumbled onto yours.

The Video was so funny- thank you. It is through the efforts of people like you that we can plan and enhance our travel. We will definitly be on the cable car and bus in Santorini and will try to fit in the Gold Goat at the Prehistoric Museum- My hubby would love that! We sail on the 14th of MAy and would love any more hints you have, going to Istanbul, Then the greek Isles. sometimes searching requires long hours of reading different threads to gather all the good info. So glad I stumbled onto yours.

For many suggestions in Istanbul, read the Other Ports postings

• 1 month later...

Loved your video--I laughed out loud--always a good sign. It helped as we are going there on a cruise this July. My 11 year old really wants to take the donkeys up the hill. After seeing your video, I am convinced that it's the donkeys one way and cable car the other way. Thanks.

I have read posts on CC and on Trip Advisor about not taking the donkeys because it is cruel. Some said they weren't well taken care of and that they are treated inhumanely. Any of you observe this and change your mind once you were there to not ride? We are going in Sept and can use any information to make a wise decision.

Zubs I loved your video.

Yes, I did change my mind about riding the donkeys when I was there. I love horses and thought the donkey ride would be a fun and traditional thing to do, but when I saw them I knew I couldn't be a part of that. The sun was relentless as they struggled to carry fat tourists up the steep hillside while being whipped and jerked along. It was heartbreaking. There are lots of photos posted on CC showing their oozing sores, etc. There are people in Greece trying to put a stop to the use of the donkeys. (Also, if you are not that worried about the donkeys' humane treatment, you might want to consider what you and your clothes are going to smell like after your ride!)

Archived