Hair-braiding ..ship vs. on an island

flipflopsof4

We are booked for sailing on the Valor 11/22/09...my daughters want to get their hair-braided (with the beads in it). They did this on the Disney cruise and loved it. Does anyone know if they offer this service on The Valor? Or, could anyone recommend an island that does it? It must be clean. We are stopping at Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize (but we have cave-tubing already planned for there). Thanks in advance!:)

I was just on the Valor a couple of weeks ago and I do believe it was offered. I looked at the prices but they were very expensive. My dd had hers braided in Roatan on the beach and it was clean.

Have you checked on having it done BEFORE you cruise? I know several salons offer it in my area.

We had a little girl almost in tears on my Conquest cruise.

HUGE WARNING here. She said she kept asking them how much and they never gave her a answer, kept braiding and her husband walked off and when they finished they said $100, $100!!!!?? and she hated it, said it was like her little daughter would wear and she took it out by the next night. She was a first time cruiser and probably will never cruise again.

Make sure you have a price agreed up before you let them start or they are going to take advantage of you. She was little tiny and they went to a beach and her husband walked off and she felt intimadated, this was in Jamaica.

Just a warning ... have heard others pretty upset about the final price too...but this was the first time I knew the person because we ate dinner every night together.

On Grand Cayman and in Nassau, everyone was charging $2/braid. Daughter had 6 braids done for $10 on Paradise Island.

This gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite pics from our most recent cruise. :D

2009Cruise245.jpg?t=1256331172

Braids should cost about 1.00 per braid for shorter hair and 2.00 per braid for long hair. And bring your own comb. :)

one more warning. Don't forget to put sun screen on the scalp after the hair is braided, cuz boy does that hurt if ya don't!

We had a little girl almost in tears on my Conquest cruise.

HUGE WARNING here. She said she kept asking them how much and they never gave her a answer, kept braiding and her husband walked off and when they finished they said $100, $100!!!!?? and she hated it, said it was like her little daughter would wear and she took it out by the next night. She was a first time cruiser and probably will never cruise again.

Make sure you have a price agreed up before you let them start or they are going to take advantage of you. She was little tiny and they went to a beach and her husband walked off and she felt intimadated, this was in Jamaica.

Just a warning ... have heard others pretty upset about the final price too...but this was the first time I knew the person because we ate dinner every night together.

She shouldn't blame the cruise for something that happened in Jamaica. The cruise has nothing to do with it.

I would not have done business with anyone who couldn't tell me the cost. I wouldn't have even let the person start.

If you are concerned about cleanliness purchase your own rattail comb...you can find them in almost any hair accessory aisle and they are only like $5. They look like a regular fine tooth comb with a pointed end. Most braiders use these combs so it's not a problem if you bring your own.

DD & neice had theirs done in MoBay on a Carnival party boat excursion, whole head but only halfway on scalp. Was $30 (2 years ago). The lady did a great job. She had it done in MoBay again in January at that craft area, $25 & a horrible job. She had it redone the next day in Coz at El Cid resort for $20. Girl there did an awesome job. She kept them in for about 2 weeks.

had it done by the falls in Jamacia. She loved it for about 2 hours - left it in for the day and then took it out. She said the briads were too tight and it was starting to hurt. I think I paid 20 or 30 - my dd had very long hair and the braids were all over.

I just went and pulled up the pictures - they were taken in 2005. I am so sad now - what happened to my baby??? She is all grown up now.

If your dd has it done - as other posters have said, sunblock, sunblock, sunblock!!!!!! Get the spray stuff and hit the entire head.

Kathy

100_1516.jpg.68f56d89a7cd280c43304ae97bfa9df8.jpg

776185479_Copyoffalls2.jpg.061240fc542daf5b7dc95b6ccf8e1db4.jpg

I would prefer to give my money to a local rather than a shipboard employee or someone in my town's salon. I like to support the locals as much as possible. Hope you enjoy it. I had it done in Cozumel and kept it for 5 days. I felt a little silly once I got back to Ohio so took them out!:)

Archived