Any last minute advice?

SheriAZ

I'm booking our cruise today. I'm so excited! I want to pack right now.

Any last minute advice? I'm going to book through carnival as TA couldn't get a better rate.

This is what I know

We would like 2 balcony rooms side by side, mid to low level

We want a table for 4, late dining

I know the ship, dates and ports

I will buy trip insurance after booking

credit card is ready for deposit

I'm pretty sure I know about the money issues, as I posted that question a long time ago. I'm sure to overpack but will drive to port, so airlines aren't a problem.

I feel like I'm forgetting something important.

Hello,

I do not know how far you live from the port city, but you might want to arrive in the port city at least one day before your cruise. You can be flexible with this if you are within 150 miles or so. I would not however be more than three hours away.

Where are you going to stay the night before your cruise? Where are you going to park your car? How far do you plan on driving after your cruise...you really do not want on the road for hours after a great cruise vacation.

Thanks for your response.

I don't have a plan for parking, but saw several places for parking when I visited San Diego last summer. Will ask a friend that used to live in SD for parking advice, and will ask relatives that have cruised.

I have several relatives that live about one and a half hour from port. We will probably stay with one of the the night before and after the cruise, though I had considered driving the day of the cruise. I absolutely don't want to get off the ship and drive 5 hours.

Why wouldn't you use a TA if the rate isn't any more then Carnival? With a TA you have a personal go to point with a face. Using a Carnival you will have a PVP over the phone.

When I was in your shoes, I decided the better route for me was a TA.

Just a thought.

Enjoy your cruise.

Well, it's done now.

I chose the anytime dining, I didn't know it was an option at first. So if we split up for excursions or want to see separate shows we can eat separately if we want. I wouldn't mind eating with strangers but my SIL does, so we want to make her comfortable, if possible.

I used Carnival PVP because I don't know a TA and I felt more comfortable with it. I have done a lot of research (thanks to this board) and think I got everything covered. Except of course I forgot to ask about formal nights so will check on that.

Thanks everyone.

Why wouldn't you use a TA if the rate isn't any more then Carnival? With a TA you have a personal go to point with a face. Using a Carnival you will have a PVP over the phone.

When I was in your shoes, I decided the better route for me was a TA.

Just a thought.

Enjoy your cruise.

Why WOULD you use one if they are not cheaper, and why are they not cheaper? try another few first.

and be sure to call them for the best price.

IF you cannot get a better price then yes book direct since that way YOU control the reservation and can make changes yourself without having to GO THROUGH a third party for any question you have or change you want to make.

Hello,

Parking in San Diego has several options. There is a lot across the street from the cruise terminal which is both the easiest and the most expensive. I understand that the parking which is lighted and secure is $15.00 per day. There are other lots farther away such as Mission Brewery Parking and San Diego Airport Park (where I park) are much cheaper but involve using a shuttle to and from the cruise terminal.

I do not know your budget but as a first timer, you should consider using the $15.00 lot because you can park the car, move the luggage across one street, and go into the cruise terminal. Give the porter about $2.00 a bag as he or she will take the bags just before you enter the cruise terminal. They will put your bags in a large bin and you won't see them again until you are on board the ship.

After you cross the street, there is a gate and the guards will be checking your cruise documents from everyone in your group. Have these in an accessible but secure place. As mentioned above the luggage goes to the porter(along with tips). To get into the ctruise terminal itself, you will have to show your cruise documents to another guard. Then in to the terminal you go...

Why WOULD you use one if they are not cheaper, and why are they not cheaper? try another few first.

and be sure to call them for the best price.

IF you cannot get a better price then yes book direct since that way YOU control the reservation and can make changes yourself without having to GO THROUGH a third party for any question you have or change you want to make.

Although the TA didn't get me a lower rate, it didn't cost me anything either. And now she acts as our advocate. She has done more vacation travel than I have and her knowledge was very valuable. And when I noticed today that my flights are changed, I didn't have to punch the panic button and figure out how to get to the port. I just sent her an email and I know she will take care of it. She also contacted Carnival and arranged for our party to have connected staterooms.

One of her coworkers is a big fan of CC so she knows I'm talking about Natalie.

Hello,

One last comment...when you sail out of San Diego Bay, make sure that you are on the highest deck, at the very front of the ship. I want you to experience standing in the wind as the ship passes the lighthouse on your right. Take in the vast panorama in front of you as the ship heads out into the mighty Pacific ocean.

Archived