MS Discovery - VOD

OldJerseycruiser

My father in law spent time in Libya during his national service & longs to go back for a visit. My wife & I have twice been scheduled to visit Tripoli, once on the Prinsendam (which was cancelled because Gadafi didn't want shiploads of Americans visiting that day) & once on Saga Rose (which was cancelled to make way for her final cruise). We went to the Channel Islands on the Rose instead, on our way around Ireland! That was last month & was the first time I had been there since visiting often as a child. The seas were too rough for us to land in Guernsey, our only port of call there, but we had a nice sail through the Islands. Jersey was just a shadow on the horizon!

Anyway, we have noticed that the Discovery is one of the few ships to visit Libya on a regular basis, visiting all three ports that are used by cruise ships.We are wondering about taking the said father in law on this trip. It would also be a chance to sail on another classic old ship. She sails to Libya in ten days & again next year. We may not be able to organise this for two years though, so I hope she is still doing a similar trip then.

Have you sailed on her? She is one of Jerry Herrod's projects. I sailed on the Ocean Islander in 1986, his first ship, & met the man then. I would also like to sail on Marco Polo, another of his old ships. I hear that she has changed charterers & is no longer sailing under the Transocean banner. I hope that this improves her condition. Saga Rose also briefly sailed for Transocean as the Gripsholm.

Graham.

Good News!

Just had some literature from Voyages if Discovery that states that Discovery is going into dry dock from November 14th - 28th.. They will be sorting out mechanical problems and refurbishing various areas of the ship.

Good news. We start on Jan 30, 2009 from HongKong and then wander the Indian Ocean until Capetown. Not a place we want to have more mechanical problems. Plus I am in my final countdown for the Century Travel Club 100 country mark and I can't afford to lose a single port. (!)

Can you tell us where to find current information about the Discovery and its dry dock status? Thanks.

bcscot Tripoli is worth a visit. went last year with Costa. The locals were very friendly, I was invited to the mosque for prayers by one jeweller.The National museum is interesting and has Gaddaffis old Volkswagen bettle as a prize exhibit. Marco Polo is now running under the MaritimeCruise and Voyages banner for all of 2010 and they are doing some interesting itinararies including one in March to the North of Norway to see ??? the Auroa Boreallis. The earlier cruise include the Carribean and Amazon and Orinoco Rivers deaprting from Tilbury.

Archived