NEGRIL with Lunch at Margaritaville

Tapi

Hello!

We're headed to Montego Bay next year aboard the Carnival Elation and we're specifically looking for a ship sponsored shore excursion since we'll be traveling with a 1 yr old.

We want to save Dunn's River Falls for a future cruise (when we sail into Ocho Rios), so we're looking at other options that would be suitable for the whole family.

We saw a "Negril with Lunch at Margaritavllie" shore excursion which seemed appropriate. According to the description, the drive is about 1 hour, beach time is about 2-3 hours, there will be shaded areas, and lunch is included. Also, it has the "infants free" icon.

Has anybody done this excursion before (or done something similar on your own)? What are your thoughts? Do you have other recommendations?

Thanks for your input!

I haven't done the excursion, but have done land based vacations to Jamaica, including to Negril. To say the drive is an hour is pushing it I think. It took us more like and hour and a half each time, but it depends on traffic. The road's a bit windy, but really not bad at all. From a ship the only way I would trust going that far for a day trip is through the cruise lines. Seven mile beach in Negril is beautiful, with a nice, gently sloping, typically calm beach for kids to enjoy. Plus the area is much more laid back than around the ports of MoBay and OR (although Margarittaville is pretty touristy)

If you are ok with the drive, I think you'll really enjoy the beach. It's the best in the country.

I would say that the drive to Negril from Montego Bay is quite a bit more than an hour. It took us 2 hrs to make the trip back in 1999. The road was winding, and in some spots we slowed to as little as 15mph because of potholes. However, our guide on that trip had stated that a new "highway" was under construction and would be completed in a few years. So, perhaps by now there is a new road and the journey is much quicker. Just the same, I wouldn't go that far from the ship unless it was a tour booked thru the ship.

We did this excursion through the cruise ship in Jan. 2007. At that time the excursion did not include lunch. We must have used the new road because there were no pot holes and it was just as good a road as you would find in the USA. The drive time each way was about 1 1/2 hours. There was a short stop about half way to Negril at a small roadside market. You will love the beach and the drive to Negril. I have attached a few pictures.

IMG_2028.jpg.cecac06c5c896bbf9be239ce6212d151.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg.211077ec1f9e2d837499c8c01e013f97.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg.b5b7df384f6debf3b8b4a12c55aad248.jpg

Archived