Boiling Lake Hike

PhilPam93

I will be in port from 9:00 to 6:00 on February 2, 2010 and want to hike to the Boiling Lake. I did this trip about 12 years ago but I have lost the guide contacts there. Has anyone else done the hike and have a current guide recommendation for this trip?

• 1 month later...

Phil,

Your probably already know this, but I wouldn't normally recommend the Boiling Lake Hike unless you are in EXCELLENT physical condition and are in port 9+ hours. Even then there is a small possibility of you not making it back to the ship on time.

I did the hike last week. FWIW, the road to Laudat is in TERRIBLE condition due to the construction. While it was never good, it was horrible this time. It took us an extra 20 minutes to return since we got stuck behind road construction.

I've done the hike so many times that I don't need a guide (NOT RECOMMENDED!!), but I used Beno for the ride up there and back. He's one of the few guys I would trust to be there to pick us up at the end of the hike. Due to the tight schedule, you really do need for your guide to have his own car that he leaves at the trail head, or have someone you can really trust to be there to pick you up since there are no other options to get back down.

I asked Beno about you, and he said he could set you up with a guide, no problem. Send him an email:

Augustine “Beno” Pascal

benox265@hotmail.com

bnpascal@gmail.com

www.BenoNatureTours.com

Dennis

P.S. The two ladies at the trailhead (Titou Gorge) sell some really tasty coconut fudge and candy. I wish I had picked up more.

• 2 months later...

Dear Phil,

I was reading your post about the Boiling Lake tour on Dominica. My wife an I are visiting Dominica on April 7th from 8am to 5pm and would as well like to see the Boiling Lake and, if ever possible, the "Valley of Desolation".

However, whatever I read it seems we are not staying long enough to be able to join such a tour.

Can you give us any hints whether you made your way to the lake, how long it lasted and how you organised it?

Regards

Christian

The Valley of Desolation is along the way to and from the Boiling Lake.

It took me about 3.5 hours there and 3.5 hours back. This allowed ample time to stop and take pictures, enjoy the scenery and feel the pain. Also allow an hour for travel there and back although it should take a little less. That's 9 hours. Better to be safe than watching your ship sail away from Roseau, without you.

This isn't a walk in the park. It is a strenuous hike. If you've never done a true hike before, this isn't the place to start. You can do the hike faster. In fact, a German from a cruise ship did the hike when I was on trail. Except what he was doing is what I considered to be trail running. I guess to him being there was more important than enjoying what was there.

• 9 months later...

I'm going to back up SnailPace. 7 hours of HIKING to the get to the Boiling Lake and back is faster than average. I've done it faster, but that was with dry conditions, no rest breaks and almost no picture taking.

It is possible to do in a 9-10+ hour cruise stop, but you MUST be in TOP physical condition, and be used to doing 6-8 hour hikes with thousands of feet of elevation gain (and loss).

Most importantly, you need to know your own limitations so that you can turn around if time is getting too tight.

Dennis

Archived