Thanksgiving in St. Martin?

KillaFee

Hellloooo all you SXM lovers!! Has anyone ever spent Thanksgiving in St. Martin? We'll be there from the 20th thru the 28th and I'm wondering if they do anything. I'm fine if they don't (I'm a vegetarian so I don't need the Turkey, lol) but I was just curious about other people experiences.

Thanks! :D

Laura

St. Martin was once under the control of France and there is no thanksgiving in France. So....

I think the island people give thanks every day when the tourist leave.:)

Maybe they will have a turkey dinner on the ship.

Thanksgiving Day is a pretty big deal on the island. MANY restaurants, including some on Orient Beach, will be offering Thanksgiving Meals and/or buffets.

You can celebrate with some Beaujolais Nouveau, which will have just been released, and is also a big deal on the island.

gary

St. Martin was once under the control of France and there is no thanksgiving in France. So....

I think the island people give thanks every day when the tourist leave.:)

Maybe they will have a turkey dinner on the ship.

Thanks for the snide remark, but if you read my post, you'd see that I'm not on a cruise, I'm staying on the island for 8 days. I'm quite aware of the history of Thanksgiving, however many places celebrate other cultures holidays.

Thanksgiving Day is a pretty big deal on the island. MANY restaurants, including some on Orient Beach, will be offering Thanksgiving Meals and/or buffets.

You can celebrate with some Beaujolais Nouveau, which will have just been released, and is also a big deal on the island.

gary

Thanks!! What is Beaujolais Nouveau?

Thanks for the snide remark, but if you read my post, you'd see that I'm not on a cruise, I'm staying on the island for 8 days. I'm quite aware of the history of Thanksgiving, however many places celebrate other cultures holidays.

Sorry for my ignorance on the customs of the former French colony. I am surprised that they would celebrate a American custom such as Thanksgiving.

Ce qui sera sera.

And I was only trying to add a little humor to the post. Happy Guy Fawkes Day!!

Thanks!! What is Beaujolais Nouveau?

Here are a couple of references:

InToWine

The Wiki

We've only been on-island once for the event, but it was quite a party. Air France flew in like 100 cases. You drink it for the celebration, not necessarily for the quality of the wine.

Here's an ad from last year.

th_lebn.jpg

(click)

gary

and Big Bird on the Dutch. Beaujoulais Nouveau is the first pressing of the new grapes and is available around US Thanksgiving. It is a young unaged wine, like grape juice mixed w/alcohol and is flown in to the US and French territories on the day it becomes available. It's not great wine but has become a tradition to have it as soon as it becomes available. There are several brands available here as in STM. Enjoy! If you're on a HAL ship you will get turkey roll (no bones or skin) so the best part of the meal will be the wine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hellloooo all you SXM lovers!! Has anyone ever spent Thanksgiving in St. Martin? We'll be there from the 20th thru the 28th and I'm wondering if they do anything. I'm fine if they don't (I'm a vegetarian so I don't need the Turkey, lol) but I was just curious about other people experiences.

Thanks! :D

Laura

Well, anything special?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, anything special?

YES!!! IT WAS AMAZING!!! We ate at Passsanggrahan right on the beach on Front Street. http://www.pasanhotel.com/ the food was delicious and the service was excellent and it was only $25 per person for an unlimited and beautiful buffett on the big grand porch and/or beach. After stuffing ourselves silly, we hobbled down beach and streets for a moonlit stroll and got back into the jeep and headed back to the Flamingo where we were staying. We had the BEST week ever, for sure. Went to Orient, Pinel Islet, Friars Bay, Marigot, Grand Case, Philipsburg, Simpson Bay....and had breakfast at Zee best 4 times. :) Can't wait until next year.

Archived