A Carnival guy on Freedom OTS, The WOW factor: A pictorial review

Encore! Encore!!! :D

Thanks again for such a great review. You had me hanging on every word and picture in desperate anticipation of our upcoming Freedom cruise. :) I'd love to read more reviews from you - so please keep cruising, and please let us know when you post (when on other lines).

Thanks Michele, you actually reminded me to do something I have been meaning to do for along while now. I put links to all my reviews in my signature. That B2B I did on Inspiration last year was the first one that I posted with pictures, and all them since.

Thanks Michele, you actually reminded me to do something I have been meaning to do for along while now. I put links to all my reviews in my signature. That B2B I did on Inspiration last year was the first one that I posted with pictures, and all them since.

Glad I could help. :) I actually went and looked up a few of your posts, but was interested in reading about Glory. My DHs uncle went on the Glory a few years ago and loved it. We like Port Canaveral and Glory fit that bill (she's being replaced with the Dream, I believe?). For now, we're RCCL fans, but I wouldn't mind trying Carnival for a different experience (and usually cheaper prices).

BTW, we are staying in our first inside cabin on the Freedom. There will be 4 of us in a cabin (me and my 3 kids). We have adjoining cabins that my siblings will stay in so I can always move one of my kids to their cabin if my DH is able to cruise with us. Any advice/suggestions on how to manage?

Thanks again for the great review! I'm off to read some more from you. :)

Glad I could help. :) I actually went and looked up a few of your posts, but was interested in reading about Glory. My DHs uncle went on the Glory a few years ago and loved it. We like Port Canaveral and Glory fit that bill (she's being replaced with the Dream, I believe?). For now, we're RCCL fans, but I wouldn't mind trying Carnival for a different experience (and usually cheaper prices).

BTW, we are staying in our first inside cabin on the Freedom. There will be 4 of us in a cabin (me and my 3 kids). We have adjoining cabins that my siblings will stay in so I can always move one of my kids to their cabin if my DH is able to cruise with us. Any advice/suggestions on how to manage?

Thanks again for the great review! I'm off to read some more from you. :)

I have cruised with people tha have had 4 in an inside room, they managed. But those were 4 adults, so having kids would make it easier. The bunks can be folded up during the day to give you more room, and you can always do what we did and put the coffee table in the closet. The beds on the floor also can be moved, so you can find a layout that works best for you. I think having the connecting rooms will be better still, since you will have two bathrooms. That way if one is full, the other one might not be.

Sorry, I missed the first part of your post. Glory is a great ship, but she is six years old now. If you are wanting to give Carnival a try, I would wait for Dream. Yes, she will be cruising from Port Canaveral. Also, Carnival's Spirit Class (Spirit, Legend, Pride and Miracle) is by far my favorite. They are the Carnival equivalent of RCI's Radiance Class. You may find a better experience on one of them, since the space to passenger ratio is better. They also have a better layout IMHO, and they have awesome Supper Clubs.

Great stuff, Grady! You have another great gift ~ your writing ability! I must say I'm totally impressed!!! If you ever change careers, I see your backup plan :) Yes, it's always good to have backup ;)

We enjoyed sharing drinks with you guys at Paradise Point and the Irish Pub, some water time in those cool cantilever jacuzzi pools and dinner at our My Time table ~ hope to sail with you guys again one day on the high seas!

Pris & Bucky

Great stuff, Grady! You have another great gift ~ your writing ability! I must say I'm totally impressed!!! If you ever change careers, I see your backup plan :) Yes, it's always good to have backup ;)

We enjoyed sharing drinks with you guys at Paradise Point and the Irish Pub, some water time in those cool cantilever jacuzzi pools and dinner at our My Time table ~ hope to sail with you guys again one day on the high seas!

Pris & Bucky

Thanks Pris! We enjoyed it very much too.

Getting paid to cruise and write reviews would be great, sure would beat what I'm doing now.;)

I have cruised with people tha have had 4 in an inside room, they managed. But those were 4 adults, so having kids would make it easier. The bunks can be folded up during the day to give you more room, and you can always do what we did and put the coffee table in the closet. The beds on the floor also can be moved, so you can find a layout that works best for you. I think having the connecting rooms will be better still, since you will have two bathrooms. That way if one is full, the other one might not be.

This is good to know. :) Before reading this thread, I was wondering if they'd push the beds against the wall - I thought it would utilize the space more efficiently (and keep a sleeping baby from falling on the floor ;) ). It was great to see that you've actually done it successfully.

Sorry, I missed the first part of your post. Glory is a great ship, but she is six years old now. If you are wanting to give Carnival a try, I would wait for Dream. Yes, she will be cruising from Port Canaveral. Also, Carnival's Spirit Class (Spirit, Legend, Pride and Miracle) is by far my favorite. They are the Carnival equivalent of RCI's Radiance Class. You may find a better experience on one of them, since the space to passenger ratio is better. They also have a better layout IMHO, and they have awesome Supper Clubs.

If (when) we try Carnival, it will most likely be on a ship from Port Canaveral - just easier for us (and we have family near Orlando). I haven't read too much about the Dream, but she sounds like she'll be a nice ship. Thanks for the tips about the Spirit Class. :) I'd love to try a Radiance Class ship too, but will likely save that for a time my kids don't cruise with us. Just too many ships and so little time (and not enough $$$ to cruise as often as I'd like!).

BTW, what are your future cruising plans with RCCL? I know you're a loyal Carnival fan, but it's nice to see you wrote a review from the heart instead of from "loyalty." Do you have a favorite cruise/ship? Also, what were some of your favorite things to do/see/eat on Freedom? I've been on Mariner and know Freedom won't be too different, but I'm excited nonetheless. :D

Sorry for all the questions... just trying to kill time while waiting 66 days until MY Freedom cruise! :D (I'll write a review too, but not so sure I can manage one as great as yours.)

This is good to know. :) Before reading this thread, I was wondering if they'd push the beds against the wall - I thought it would utilize the space more efficiently (and keep a sleeping baby from falling on the floor ;) ). It was great to see that you've actually done it successfully.

If (when) we try Carnival, it will most likely be on a ship from Port Canaveral - just easier for us (and we have family near Orlando). I haven't read too much about the Dream, but she sounds like she'll be a nice ship. Thanks for the tips about the Spirit Class. :) I'd love to try a Radiance Class ship too, but will likely save that for a time my kids don't cruise with us. Just too many ships and so little time (and not enough $$$ to cruise as often as I'd like!).

BTW, what are your future cruising plans with RCCL? I know you're a loyal Carnival fan, but it's nice to see you wrote a review from the heart instead of from "loyalty." Do you have a favorite cruise/ship? Also, what were some of your favorite things to do/see/eat on Freedom? I've been on Mariner and know Freedom won't be too different, but I'm excited nonetheless. :D

Sorry for all the questions... just trying to kill time while waiting 66 days until MY Freedom cruise! :D (I'll write a review too, but not so sure I can manage one as great as yours.)

We will probably do some shorter cruises since that is where they compete with Carnival the best. I have seen 3 and 4 day trips on Monarch for around $150-$200 per person, same with the 4 nighters on Navigator. I hope that the next 7 day trip I do with RCI will be on Oasis!

I will always feel "at home" on Carnival, but I'm actually very glad that I tried RCI. It has opened up so many more options. I want to eventually try all the lines, probably won't happen, but a guy can dream!:D

On Freedom, my favorite places were the helipad deck at the bow and the Viking Crown Lounge. I think its because Carnival doesn't have them, so I try and spend as much time there as possible watching the scenery. The pizza was great, and the little salad bar they have there is awesome. Every other day they had fresh mozzarella balls, add a little balsamic vinegar with olive oil and I'm in heaven.

We will probably do some shorter cruises since that is where they compete with Carnival the best. I have seen 3 and 4 day trips on Monarch for around $150-$200 per person, same with the 4 nighters on Navigator. I hope that the next 7 day trip I do with RCI will be on Oasis!

I will always feel "at home" on Carnival, but I'm actually very glad that I tried RCI. It has opened up so many more options. I want to eventually try all the lines, probably won't happen, but a guy can dream!:D

On Freedom, my favorite places were the helipad deck at the bow and the Viking Crown Lounge. I think its because Carnival doesn't have them, so I try and spend as much time there as possible watching the scenery. The pizza was great, and the little salad bar they have there is awesome. Every other day they had fresh mozzarella balls, add a little balsamic vinegar with olive oil and I'm in heaven.

We want to try Oasis too! I know she's not for everyone, but she fits in with our "needs"! :D We have a RCCL rewards credit card - just a few thousand points shy of a free cruise for two. We'll be using them to book Oasis for 2011!!! (If everything goes as planned! Fingers crossed.)

I like your dream. :) I'm not sure if I'd like to try "all" the lines, but I'd like to be able to compare many of the lines and their different classes. And get paid for it. :D

I did not know there was a salad bar!!! LOVE my rabbit food. ;) Actually, I just LOVE FOOD in general... Did I mention that I'm soooo looking forward to our upcoming cruise? Food, entertainment, food, ocean, food, ports, food, shopping, food... okay, enough already.

I've forwarded your review to my parents and siblings... I'm not sure they're as gung ho as I am, but I know they'll enjoy it too. :D Take care!

We want to try Oasis too! I know she's not for everyone, but she fits in with our "needs"! We have a RCCL rewards credit card - just a few thousand points shy of a free cruise for two. We'll be using them to book Oasis for 2011!!! (If everything goes as planned! Fingers crossed.)

I like your dream. I'm not sure if I'd like to try "all" the lines, but I'd like to be able to compare many of the lines and their different classes. And get paid for it. :D

I did not know there was a salad bar!!! LOVE my rabbit food. ;) Actually, I just LOVE FOOD in general... Did I mention that I'm soooo looking forward to our upcoming cruise? Food, entertainment, food, ocean, food, ports, food, shopping, food... okay, enough already.

I've forwarded your review to my parents and siblings... I'm not sure they're as gung ho as I am, but I know they'll enjoy it too. :D Take care!

Maybe salad bar isnt right, its more like a deli case with salad components, but you get the idea. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of it! I mean, I photographed the elevator floor for heaven's sakes. :D:D

Oh well, you'll get to see it soon enough! :)

First off, I wanted to thank you for the time and effort you dedicated to posting your review. I know that neither of them was minimal and I appreciate it.

That was the first review I have ever read from start to finish. It was fair and focused on the ship and your experiences and you didn't stray into "soapbox" issues. I also enjoyed the fact that not everything was tinged from a Carnival "cheerleader" point of view I appreciate you sticking to basics.

I have been on Carnival twice (Spirit and Valor) as well as RCL twice (Mariner and Explorer). We (an 18 member family group) just got off the Valor the beginning of this month. We had a great time and very much enjoyed the ship. We are looking to do another family/friend cruise next fall and are gathering opinions from those in the family who want to go as to what ship to sail on. After reading your review and looking at all your wonderful pictures, my vote will be for a Freedom class ship. Your pictures brought back some delightful memories of our voyages on the Mariner and the Explorer. I think RCL's ships are a bit more passenger friendly and offer options Carnival does not.

Nothing against Carnival, they did a fine job both previous times I sailed with them. I may be outvoted, due to financial reasons, and end up on Carnival again. Either way, any vacation is what you make of it.

Again, thanks for a great review. It would be a pleasure to sail with you, on any line, anywhere, at any time!

First off, I wanted to thank you for the time and effort you dedicated to posting your review. I know that neither of them was minimal and I appreciate it.

That was the first review I have ever read from start to finish. It was fair and focused on the ship and your experiences and you didn't stray into "soapbox" issues. I also enjoyed the fact that not everything was tinged from a Carnival "cheerleader" point of view I appreciate you sticking to basics.

Grady ~ Umm your career is showing :)

Very thorough and enjoyable review. Pictures were first class. Im on Liberty of the seas in less than 3 weeks so its given me the perfect insight as to what I can expect as a virgin cruiser.

Thanks once again. :)

Grady, I really enjoyed your review! I have only been on the Adventure, and it was really fun to see how the ships are similar and what differences there are. You were so good about capturing the whole ship! I thought I had done well with my 2k pics over the week, but I'm betting you far surpassed that!

Before our cruise I really enjoyed seeing photos of everything I could find. As a new cruiser the pic are so important!

Nicely done!

Kim

Grady - one word - WOW! Those pictures were amazing. I agree with the previous poster who said you should be hired to take the pics for RCCL! Thank you for sharing the behind the scenes tour and the inside view of the Royal Suite. Also, I enjoyed the sense of humor throughout your review and the captions on some of the pictures. I seriously LOL'd at the "flowmasters?" picture! :p

Archived