New Beverage Packages sting - UK passengers

uktog

Even if I was going to buy a package I would not pre book at the moment. Prices for UK passengers start from £68-75 however if you pop over to the US site it is $109.25 which gives an exchange rate of $1.58. Today the rate is actually, for credit card transactions $1.63. So on the basis that when I go on board, if I were to have a package the price would be $109.25 I think I will wait

"If I save the pennies the pounds will look after themselves ...............and pay for the future cruises"

Even if I was going to buy a package I would not pre book at the moment. Prices for UK passengers start from £68-75 however if you pop over to the US site it is $109.25 which gives an exchange rate of $1.58. Today the rate is actually, for credit card transactions $1.63. So on the basis that when I go on board, if I were to have a package the price would be $109.25 I think I will wait

"If I save the pennies the pounds will look after themselves ...............and pay for the future cruises"

Huh? There's a "bevie Package"? As in beer/bar or is it the wine bottles/water/soft drink packages you're talking about.:confused:

so far the details are only up for Wine, Soda and Water but it indicates that a beer package and other drinks arrangement will be posted by mid November (if I recall the date correctly)

Off topic. On the question of pre paying tips I decided to pre pay on my Solstice Cruise 9th Oct - 19th Oct. I did the calculations when I booked in June and to pre pay tips was in my favour ie £ against $ .

I would calculate it again if I was doing such wondering whether to pre pay or pay on a daily add on to my ship board account.

I am very excited to say I am booking the T/A on Equinox 19th April flying out to Miami overnight hotel in F/L

14 night cruise ending in Rome on the 3rd May.

I have extended my option until Friday to give me time to look at room numbers etc.

Booking 2 Balcony 2B rooms for solo occupancy but I need to have my own space. The only person I would share a room with is my Sister. The friend I am taking and paying would be very happy to share and is concerned that it might be costing me too much. she would be happy to share.

Me I am only happy to give her this opportunity and the cost for me does not come into this decision.

I will be doing the calculation based on how the £ $ is working out. I am almost certain the I can choose to pre pay after the booking has been made and I will be keeping an eye on the exchange rates.

FANTASTIC CRUISE AND THE NEW ELITE PROGRAMME IS JUST THE BUSINESS.

Sue

Never thought about this. I'm poised to order 2 x 7 bottle packages but might hang fire for a while. Travelling on the Solstice in February so I've got a bit of time yet. Thanks for that.

mmm Uk rate "from £68" - US rate "$109.25" Convert the US rate to pounds - £66.88 and you can save a whole errr £1.12

yes, but I was actually planning a much larger package so the change is greater. Also I am paying out in advance. I was about to go online and purchase our shore excursions having downloaded costs previously and discovered that they had also changed the exchange rate on this - which had a net impact of increasing our excursion cost for 2 people for all we planned to book by £40 - so it all adds up.

I would have no issue if X were applying a daily variable rate that reflected the market rates, but to be fixed for a period at a disadvatageous rate is not so good

So in all across our trip I will be holding off a little as the total additional bill will be nearer £60 at the current rates

Yes I perfectly understand now mate, when you addit all up. We are sailing in just over 2 weeks, and have pre-purchased nothing yet.

Incidently, have you printed out youxpress pass yet? If you are non US card holder, and you want to pay your bill in a different currency they will convert it at the exchange rate at the time plus 3%... Or you can have your card issuer do it, who may charge a fee for it...

Oh got that one sussed - we have a Nationwide card and whilst it is no longer converted at no charge the rate is far better so we always insist on billing in $ but you have to watch them like a hawk as others have also found out. Make sure you highlight using highlighter your option if you want to have your card company do the conversion and double check with Guest Relations a few days into your trip to make sure that is what they understand is happening

Oh got that one sussed - we have a Nationwide card and whilst it is no longer converted at no charge the rate is far better so we always insist on billing in $ but you have to watch them like a hawk as others have also found out. Make sure you highlight using highlighter your option if you want to have your card company do the conversion and double check with Guest Relations a few days into your trip to make sure that is what they understand is happening

Hello UK TOG

Hope you dont mind my asking,

As a fellow UK traveller could I ask some advice re- gratuities?

Ive never been on a cruise before and having read all the forums Im getting the feeling I will be expected to tip every 5 minutes onboard,is this the case?

Are we best to pre pay then just tip for really extra special service?

I dont want to sound stingy ,but having been hounded in Egypt for tips every where we went Im not relishing another similar experience!and is is best to pay later rather than earlier?

Hi Hobgob

First of all, whatever you do you will not be tipping every 5 mins!

So where will you be tipping

1.In the bar - but you will not "feel it come out of your purse" as the service charge is automatically added to the bill - same applies in the spa

2. At the end of a shore excursion, just as you might tip on a day trip here, a small amount you choose

For the rest, you can cover it all by prepaying your gratuities which is what we do, then at the end of the trip we work out who has been really great and give them an envelope with some extra - it is not usual to see people tipping as they go along and the staff certainly do not stand around looking for it

The service is really good anyway so you will be happy and you do not need to hand over cash to "buy" better service as you go along

Certainly from a budgeting point of view it makes sense to pay ahead - we actually just have it added onto the cost of the holiday invoice as it is a figure we are going to pay anyway so its part of the overall cost

Off topic. On the question of pre paying tips I decided to pre pay on my Solstice Cruise 9th Oct - 19th Oct. I did the calculations when I booked in June and to pre pay tips was in my favour ie £ against $ .

I would calculate it again if I was doing such wondering whether to pre pay or pay on a daily add on to my ship board account.

At the moment it is actually cheaper to pay the grats on board in US$ rather than pay upfront in £. On my next cruise the grats are £107pp for 14nights - on board it is $11.50 x14 = $161 = £103. OK it is a small margin....and I still always pay upfront as it makes my onboard expenses less.

I will almost certainly pre pay mine for the Equinox in April as I found it so easy on the Solstice booking. Yes give or take it can be a little bit more or less. At least you know it has been paid in £ and not have to watch out for them doing the converting.

Sue

Archived