Kids first time cruising... advice?

QTMichele

Our cruise is nearing, and I'm more than excited! I also have a ton of things to think about (call me Type A, obsessive... whatever - it's all true! lol). My kids will be 14 months, 6, and turning 10 on the cruise. My 2 oldest will participate in AO at least some of the time (if they choose); however, they'll want to do other activities as well. So, here's a question...

I know I'll have to sign liability papers... is this done once or everyday? Any advice to avoid long lines?

Also, I'm a car seat fanatic, but I'm only seeing open air buses/taxis for St. Thomas. Any suggestions for getting around this port with the 14 month old?

Other advice for my family, especially in regards to having a fun cruise vacation with kids? Bring on your suggestions! :D THANKS!

The papers for AO are signed only once. Get there for the open house the first night to fill in the papers and avoid the long lines the next morning. Make sure you write down any other adults who are able to sign the kids out. They will ask you if the 9/10 year old can sign themselves out. Something to think about.

For things like ice skating, I believe they have to be filled out each time. I don't know about rock climbing.

Thanks, Boulders. We'll make it to the open house to get that out of the way. I'm sure the girls will be anxious to see the area anyway. :)

I'm still interested in knowing about the other forms (ice skating, rock climbing, flowrider, etc.) if anyone has this info. THANKS!

You will need to sign the kids in and out (unless you are giving the oldest sign out authorization) of the kids club. There can be lines for sign-in if you come right as the club opens for a session. It is generally pretty quick though.

For rock climbing there is the complete form to complete the first time, and just a quick "sign-in" type authorization there after.

Make certain your older ones attend the first couple of sessions of AO -- generally that is when the kids get comfortable. After one or two sessions, they know the ropes, they know the counselors, they know other kids.

They do have parent accompanied play times for the little ones on board. They will be listed in your daily activities sheets.

Have fun!

Thanks, Onessa! I'm planning on taking the kids to the open house, then at least a few activities the first and second day (they make friends easily so I may have to pry them away!). I really need to decide on the sign out priviledge - I trust my DD, but it's everyone else that scares me. I'm fairly certain this will be a big NO for me. Am really looking forward to testing out the babies/tots program - toy lending, stroller walks, etc. I was looking at the slideshow for Oasis' AO program - they babies/tots program there looks great, especially the drop off (for a fee) portion. Hey, I love my kids, but it's nice to have a few hours to relax. :D

Thanks again for the info. :)

re car seats, I can't speak for St Thomas since I haven't been to that port, but we just returned from a trip to the Bahamas and the taxi driver laughed at me when I said I wanted to install the car seats into his cab (I have a 14 month old and a 3yo). Turns out he didn't even have seat belts in his van. The speed limit was around 40 mph max where we drove, and he definitely didn't go any faster. Plus not much traffic so I felt more comfortable than if we'd been at home. But DH and I each held one kid on our laps (me freaking out most of the time). I know there are published seat belt and car seat laws for many Caribbean islands, but was told my a different taxi driver that those are generally ignored except in private vehicles and don't apply to the larger taxi buses. HTH!

Old Skater - I've been to a few of the islands - their driving can be SCARY! lol I appreciate you sharing your experience. I've heard about the lack of seat belts in many of the taxis, but haven't experienced it myself - yet. Guess I need to say a prayer and hope for the best. ;) Thanks!

Archived