Cheapest way to the Baths

Krissta

I'm all about doing the "local" thing when it comes to excursions. Like when we go to St. Thomas, we hop a cab and take the local ferry to St. John to save us a ridiculous amount of money versus taking an excursion.

So what's the cheapest way to get there? :) I saw one woman's cruise review and she said that there was a ferry a few blocks from the cruise terminal that cost way less than the charter. Anyone know how much it is?

Here is the ferry schedule and rates. Speedy's and Smith's are both $30 per person. You will need to take a taxi over to the Baths (@$3 per person) and pay to get into the Baths ($3 per person). You will want to bring some extra money to grab some food/drinks. I'm not sure how much the ship excursion costs.

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_vg_tortola.htm

Here is the ferry schedule and rates. Speedy's and Smith's are both $30 per person. You will need to take a taxi over to the Baths (@$3 per person) and pay to get into the Baths ($3 per person). You will want to bring some extra money to grab some food/drinks. I'm not sure how much the ship excursion costs.

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_vg_tortola.htm

Carnival's excursion is $80 per person!

Thanks so much for the info! :)

If you want to snorkel there, you will need to bring your own equipment (or rent some, there are rental places in Road Town and at the Yacht Harbor in Virgin Gorda where the ferry lands). Rental is less than $10 for the day.

Just got back 2 weeks ago from the Freedom, we did the baths on our own for a total of $76.00 for the 2 of us. The ferry ticket was 38.00 each and included the taxi ride to the baths and back. We went on the 9:00 ferry in the morning and the 1:30 coming back in the afternoon. It was about 10 blocks from the cruise terminal, the walk was fine.

I have been on 23 cruises and this was the best place I ever visited, definately worth the money.

Cindy

Hi Cindy- thanks for the info! You say that you paid $38 for the ferry with taxi included- is that the same ferry service mentioned above? Do you pay for the taxi service at the same time you pay for the ferry? Any additional info would be great as I'd certainly rather do it on my own than pay the outrageous ship excursion fees.

Thanks!!

We're all for doing this on our own like some of you have described but we have one worry. What are the chances of getting bumped from the last ferry back to Tortola and missing your cruise connection?

That is why I highly recommend that you DON'T wait for the last ferry. I would try to leave Tortola as early as you can in the morning, see the Baths, come back on an earlier ferry and walk around Road Town for a bit before heading back to the ship.

I asked about the ferry being full upon return, she said no chance. They have never had the ferry too full where someone didn't make it. On our ride there was only about 20 of us and the ferry held about 200.

I saved about 100.00 doing it this way and had no worries what so ever. Talked with several people on the carnival tour, and they were very unhappy. Said they paid too much and had very little time at the baths.

Cindy

Just got back 2 weeks ago from the Freedom, we did the baths on our own for a total of $76.00 for the 2 of us. The ferry ticket was 38.00 each and included the taxi ride to the baths and back. We went on the 9:00 ferry in the morning and the 1:30 coming back in the afternoon. It was about 10 blocks from the cruise terminal, the walk was fine.

I have been on 23 cruises and this was the best place I ever visited, definately worth the money.

Cindy

we were on the same ship and did the baths as well. sure saved a lot doing this on our own! had a great time.

We will be on Carnival Freedom in January and want to do this on our own. How much time do you need to really see the Baths...do you think leaving on the 9:00 ferry and returning on the 12:30 one (that is the one I see from Speedy's) is enough time? It doesn't seem like much.

Hi, we were also on the Freedom, we caught the 9:00 ferry in the morning, then the 1:30 in the afternoon back, they had another one at 2:15, but thought that was cutting it too close.

Is it enough time? I would have to say no. I enjoyed it so much wished we had been there longer, it was like no other beach area i had ever been to. It takes some time to go through and explore everything. They also had a wonderful fresh water pool at the top, before descending down to the baths.

Cindy

I agree,The baths is unreal went this past june,The baths is the best place I have ever seen,The snokeling on Devils Bay on the far east side of the beach is so fun,Gigantic boulders in the water are so cool,The baths are so cool and was the best time of my life.There is not enough time,You need 2 days aleast to sit there and enjoy the The Baths,Everyone on their way have a great time....And enjoy it.When you take the path down the buildup is awesome then when you get to the bottom WOW...Thats just the begining,Then you look at the sign and the first trail or cave and the great time begins.

At the Baths are there any places where you can securely lock your valuables? Camera and wallets and stuff?

Nabby is correct..there are small lockers at the end of the trail down to the beach, but not many. They were all taken when we got there...a few had broken locks. And we arrived on the first ferry that morning. We were there last year in December.

So....go with the plan on not getting a locker. I plan on taking a light backpack this time.

Nabby is also correct on the camera...take it with you! I had mine in my hand all through the baths!! Great time...can't wait to get back there!!!

Hi, I have a suggestion, why not make a copy of your passport. Then leave it back on the ship in the safe and take the paper copy with you.

I didn't bring anything, but my money, sign sail cards and driver license. Left the passport in the safe. Put the other stuff in my hubby's velcroe pocket. It was wet, but wet money spends just as good.

Have a wonderful time!

Cindy

Archived