Not your typical "choosing a cruise" post...

DaniellefromOttawa

Hi!

OK, here's my story, maybe someone out there has a suggestion or two for me.

A few years ago I went on two singles cruises. They were amazing, dare I say some of the best times of my life! The ability to get to know people ahead of time on the "Roll-Calls" offered by the agencies and that you were all single (had something in common) was great. Once we finally met it was like getting together with old friends.

But now I have a spouse and want to travel more with my kids. I've been to just about every port in the Caribean and am not particulary loyal to any one cruise line. So I'd be happy to go on any one that is reasonable cost.

What I would love to do is find a cruise with a group of families to hang out with. Last time we cruised of March Break, we were active members in roll call, but didn't really "click" with anyone. At the "Mix and Mingle" party I realized we were the only ones that had brought kids along.

I've been prowling some of the roll calls for upcomming cruises here on Cruise Critic, but it seems like many of the posters are older and/or retired.

Too bad they don't have theme cruises for us " middle-aged (is 36 middle age?) active, couples with pre-teens"

I checked out the theme cruises, but didn't see any that I would fit...we are active, cycle, play sports and spend time with the kids outdoors.

I tried thinking of friends we have here, but there's really not any that either have the means or the interest to go.

Any ideas for finding families in the same boat as us?

Thanks!

Danielle

We're in the semi same boat (but mid 40s, preteens & younger kids). If you look for cruises that occur around the Easter time frame many will probably have lots of kids (those are big spring break weeks here in the states). I am a bit concerned since we are taking a 4 night (vs a 7 night) and I've tried getting a roll call moving but have not had any real takers. I know the kids will have a great time and if there are not a lot of kids their ages we will just all hang out together. I think most cruise lines position themselves as "family" cruises (with the few chartered exceptions) so specialty cruises for families probably would not be found. Good Luck and hope you find a cruise to suite your needs.

I know this isn't a "guarantee", but once on the ship, I'm sure you'll find families that would love some company, at dinner, or poolside....

Only about 3% (or less) of the cruising population even KNOWS about CC, so you'll probably have many more families onboard than you'll learn about in advance.

Of course, many families will have their own plans, and aside from some "downtime", they'll be off on their own adventures! You well may be on some excursions with the same folks....

I'm not sure I'd base my entire vacation on who will be along.....if you're open to it, you'll meet folks once there!

If you cruise during traditional school break times your kids should have no problem finding friends. And if you are very involved with your kids you will make friends with their parents who are also involved.

The Roll Calls will have nothing to do with it. True story from our last family cruise. My sisters two boys made great friends at the kids club with two boys who had just lost their father in a strange accident. Their mother and uncle decided to go ahead with the cruise.

My sister's boys had lost their youngest sister suddenly a few years prior and could very much relate and bond with these two. The mothers got to know each other and I think they are all still in contact.

It is not really so much the Roll Calls but a bunch of other factors involved in getting to know the other parents. It does give extra eyes in watching out for the kids. Not that I have yet to be on a cruise where kids have been totally out of control. Just hear about them.

I would agree to not to worry about finding a "family" cruise. Just book a cruise that would have lots of kids onboard. Go when kids are out of school and pick a non-exotic itinerary and one that's not a month long. If you book a kid-friendly cruiseline during the summer, the last couple weeks of December, or around Easter, that's a week long to the Caribbean, Mexican Riviera or Alaska, that would be a start. Don't freak out over a roll call with passengers that aren't bringing their kids. CC represents only a small percentage of cruisers. And not every CC member even bothers with the roll call for their cruise.

Another way to insure your kids will have friends is to invite another family along. But make sure the kids get along and the adults get along. And set some ground rules for some alone time, especially if there are conflicts (one family wants to do one thing in port and the other family something else).

Hi!

OK, here's my story, maybe someone out there has a suggestion or two for me.

A few years ago I went on two singles cruises. They were amazing, dare I say some of the best times of my life! The ability to get to know people ahead of time on the "Roll-Calls" offered by the agencies and that you were all single (had something in common) was great. Once we finally met it was like getting together with old friends.

But now I have a spouse and want to travel more with my kids. I've been to just about every port in the Caribean and am not particulary loyal to any one cruise line. So I'd be happy to go on any one that is reasonable cost.

What I would love to do is find a cruise with a group of families to hang out with. Last time we cruised of March Break, we were active members in roll call, but didn't really "click" with anyone. At the "Mix and Mingle" party I realized we were the only ones that had brought kids along.

I've been prowling some of the roll calls for upcomming cruises here on Cruise Critic, but it seems like many of the posters are older and/or retired.

Too bad they don't have theme cruises for us " middle-aged (is 36 middle age?) active, couples with pre-teens"

I checked out the theme cruises, but didn't see any that I would fit...we are active, cycle, play sports and spend time with the kids outdoors.

I tried thinking of friends we have here, but there's really not any that either have the means or the interest to go.

Any ideas for finding families in the same boat as us?

Thanks!

Danielle

disney cruise. thats probably your surest, safest bet... but they are rediculously priced, but everyone i know who has dished out the insane fares have come back saying they would do it all over again... with that said, i am most likely booking one over the 4th of july holiday as my daughter's bday is the 5th of july, and i think that would be an above and beyond birthday present (and i get to have fun too :) but its very $$$

Archived