Notice any change since Larry Pimentel joined Azamara

KCNo

Hello All,

I am wondering if any of the repeat Azamara cruisers have noticed a difference in Azamara's performance since Larry Pimentel took over the presidency July, 2009.

A cruise on the Journey in September, 2007 is my only experience with Azamara; it was memorable but not in a positive way. Too, some friends who were on one of the very early 2007 Quest sailings declared they would never set foot on Azamara again.

Lately, more recent postings imply that the Journey and Quest are much improved, so I would like to ask seasoned Azamara guests if that is a result of time or the new President's direction.

Thank you, in advance, for your input.

Hello,

Who is Larry Pimentel? I have no knowledge of his past associations. And why should it matter? When I buy a product I really do not care who the president of the company is, or the General Counsel, or the VP of Finance. Do you know Mickey Arison and Penny Pritzker?

I do know that my DW and I sailed on the Azamara Quest from Hong Kong to Beijing in late January of 2009. We had an excellent cruise in all aspects of a cruise, and especially enjoyed the cruise staff's courtesy and good cheer. The food and entertainment were very good but what was truly nice is the ship's ambiance. And I thoiught that this cruise was an outstanding value for the money spent.

I would not hesitate to sail on an Azamara ship again

I have no direct knowledge of the performance of Azamara in 2007, but personal experience on the Quest in January 2009 indicated that they had an excellent product. This was before Pimental came on board. Maybe things are even better now....we'll find out when we are on the Quest again in November.

Nevernever

Lately, more recent postings imply that the Journey and Quest are much improved, so I would like to ask seasoned Azamara guests if that is a result of time or the new President's direction.

I would say 'time' since the 'much improved' status happened very shortly after Azamara's somewhat rocky start. Management was quick to resolve problems and it wasn't long before just about everyone came back with glowing reports. The member review section is a good place to get an idea of how pleased most people are with their Azamara cruises: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=cl&cl=Azamara%20Cruises

Hello All,

I am wondering if any of the repeat Azamara cruisers have noticed a difference in Azamara's performance since Larry Pimentel took over the presidency July, 2009.

A cruise on the Journey in September, 2007 is my only experience with Azamara; it was memorable but not in a positive way. Too, some friends who were on one of the very early 2007 Quest sailings declared they would never set foot on Azamara again.

I understand that Larry Pimentel was onboard the Journey with us in October 2009.

When we travelled last October 2008 there were a number of issues that have now been resolved/improved and we hope that they will continue with the good work but do hope they don't try to rebrand/increase prices. Azamara is Azamara. Friendly and good value. Dont change.

As Piscean said, Azamara President, Larry Pimental, was on board with us for a few days along with 2 other staff members on the Oct. 11 Journey (he had also been on the Quest that week). Having met him a number of years ago in my other life, I had an opportunity to talk with them at lunch one day. He has done well with the other travel and cruise companies he has headed, and is a "hands-on" President. I told them of the negative first impression the whole booking procedure gave my TA and me, but that the cruise experience was great. He told me many changes were in the works for Azamara including some of their policies and that fares would be escalating come December. So, for whatever it is worth, I think it is still an evolving company. Why not, it isn't that old or experienced yet.

Hello All,

It seems odd to me that you might think that Azamara could continue to give service for nearly two years that made customers declare that they would never set foot on Azamara again, and still stay in business!

I agree with other posters that the early bad reports were largely due to teething problems, and the executives and staff at all levels have worked hard to keep improving the product.

We were on one of the very early cruises in June 2007. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't horrible, either. We cruised with Azamara again in November 2008, and saw tremendous improvements. We're looking forward to going again next month.

I am sure that Larry Pimental will continue to develop Azamara in the right directions, but a lot of progress was made even before he joined.

Lisa

Hi Everyone !

I agree, the credit of the excellent reviews on Azamara, is due to the hard work of everyone at Azamara, especially the wonderful Crew on Journey and Quest. They are the folks who make it happen ! For those who recall the very early days of Azamara, I doubt anyone would argue they had some growing pains. The good news is, Azamara listened, made smart decisions, and have crafted Azamara into an outstanding Cruise experience.

I'm not sure how much credit Mr. Pimentel expects at the moment, as he has not had much time to put his mark on Azamara. We all know that nothing happens as quick as we would like it to. With that said, I believe Mr. Pimentel's past history and successes will only take Azamara to higher levels of excellence.

For many months, we've been hearing the rumors of prices going up. I'm still not convinced it will be across the board. I am sure Azamara will make it happen in some regions, though I continue to believe the ultimate factor on whether prices go up, will be the economy. If the economy remains weak, they can talk price increases all they want, but it will be hard to move prices significantly higher. If the economy improves to any great extent, they will achieve their pricing goals. If you are worried about prices going up ? Put a deposit down now, lock in the current price, and avoid any potential increases.

My big questions for 2010... Will Azamara try to distance themselves from the Celebrity mold ? An example would be a dedicated Loyalty Program that represents Azamara better. We've been hearing about it for a while, but where's the beef ? I'd also like to see an improved website. I would also like to know if Azamara plans to grow, or stay with 2 ships. If they choose to grow, will they be newbuilds, or will a ship be moved from the Royal Caribbean (or Celebrity) Family. I believe Azamara needs at least 1 more ship, so they can offer more itineraries and new options for their passengers.

I wish Mr. Pimentel, and everyone at Azamara the very best of success. I look forward to seeing their development in 2010.

Andy, I must agree that Azamara does need to improve their web site and also consider adding a new ship to their fleet. Their current itineraries are good, but since they have smaller vessels than the majority of cruise companies, they could offer more options and a more varied type of port/itinerary. Their cruises lend themselves to people who would like to explore and educate themselves about different cultures and unusual ports rather than climb rock walls or play putt putt, etc. My husband and I have enjoyed RCCL and Celebrity cruises in the past, but the elegantly relaxed atmosphere and overnight ports that Azamara offers is what appealed to us when we decided on our Quest May 2010 cruise. We're looking forward to May.

Jan

Thank you nevernever, susan-M, piscean, capecodder2, lisiamc, Host Andy and shoesonfire for your very informative and courteous responses. First hand information and experience is always more valuable, and I appreciate your taking the time to share yours.

Last July, while browing a TA's website, I happened on a Quest sailing that intrigued me not only because of an itinerary which included Halong Bay, but also because the price on this cruise was unbelievable. I mean in a good way. Immediately I placed a deposit for a 1A, and now the date for completing the transaction is approaching so I have to make a decision. The input from you has been very helpful and thanks again.

Archived