driving to arthurs pass

jackiedanny

I wouldn't do it unless you had time to spare.....

Its an easy drive, but is mostly plains etc, and when we got to the pass it was covered in low cloud and raining, didn't bother us as we were driving to the west coast anyway, but as a special trip it would have been a bummer....

We are hiring a car this December probably through http://www.newzealandrentalcar.co.nz/faq.html as they will pick us up from the port.

We are intending to drive to Arthurs Pass and then to Otira Viaduct, which isn't that much further. To do a ships tour on the Tranz Alpine going to Arthurs Pass is way too much.

This is an itinerary that I found that needs some adjustments.

8.00am Depart Lyttelton Wharf

Travel to Arthurs Pass.

9.00am Springfield village - coffee & toilet stop.

11.30am Arrive Arthurs Pass - coffee & toilet stop. Carry on up to the

Main Divide to view the Otira Viaduct and mountains. Drive down to Otira

village, then turn around and drive back to Arthurs Pass.

12.30 Arthurs Pass Village - free time for lunch or walkabout

1.30pm Depart Arthurs Pass.

3.30pm Arrive central Christchurch - free time for shopping, walkabout,

and time to explore the Arts Centre, Museum, Cathedral, Botanic Gardens,

Art Gallery, etc.

4.35pm Depart central Christchurch for ship

5.00pm Arrive Lyttelton wharf.

iv'e actually done the trans alpine railway in 2003 on a coach tour of nz we started the coach tour in christchurch and i seem to remember kilometere of suburbs going on and on, and i am a bit worried about going around in circles!!however with a good map i am sure i can get out of town, i am usually more worried about getting back!!!, i just want to see a bit of the nz in- land scenery and it is not to far to arthurs pass

thank you for the hire company details Australian Family i was looking at hire car options in christchurch online and one that delivers to port would be good, from the look of google maps you just have to get on route 73 and stick to it and it goes all the way to arthurs pass although i would love words of advice from a kiwi who actually lives in christchurch and would know:confused:

thanks

jackiedanny

We've driven over the pass a few times (my partner's family is from the South Island) and also just driven up to Arthur's from Cchurch to see the last snow. Was also my first chance to see the viaduct.

We'll be doing it again next Feb when we go to visit family who have moved to Hokatika.

Once you get your head around the one way system, Cchurch is an easy city to navigate. No real traffic to speak of compared to other cities we've driven.

Instead of Arthur's, especially if the weather isn't that great, I'd recommend the drive to Akaroa.

cheers, pete

• 3 weeks later...

The Arthurs Pass route out of Chc isn't really too exciting. It is indeed plains until you start to climb to the Pass. At the Pass there is not too much to do unless you have walking boots etc. Driving out of Chc can be confusing to the novice in that the signs are not the best. Don't be afraid to stop and ask someone if you think you are going around in circles as the locals are friendly.

An alternative could be heading to Lewis Pass. North straight out of Chc on SH1. Just keep driving for about an hour and and a half then turn left. You will follow the East coast northwards before turning west. The road through the Lewis is forested and windy. I think it is beautiful around this area.

If you get tired of driving you could always top at Hanmer Springs which is a geothermal springs area. For about NZ$10 you can have all day at the pools if you like. There is a cafe serving the usual chips, burgers, coffee etc and a water slide part for the kids. If the weather is cooler then it's nice to be in the warm waters. During the week the pools are quietish.There are easy walks in the area as well as horse trekking, 4 wheel biking, off roading etc., and cafe's/restaurants. (http://www.hanmersprings.co.nz/)

If you are a walking type person then around the port of Lyttelton, Christchurch itself are numerous trails of all types. There are specular views, native bush/birds and terrain varies from steep to easy. (http://www.ccc.govt.nz/cityleisure/parkswalkways/walks/parkwalks.aspx#jumplink10).

Don't know if I've been much help with Arthurs Pass here though! I think it is a relatively un-exciting journey there and in my opinion, only becomes scenic on the west coast side.

Just some suggestions :)

I'm helping family members plan their excursions (a sick hobby of mine). I used Google Earth to take a look at the towns/cities before deciding on car rentals. Christchurch looks huge, so we opted out of driving there. They'll be renting cars in Dunedin and Tauranga. They'll be driving to Rotorua to take in a show and then go over and do the luge. I'm a bit concerned about the driving here, so if anybody has some words of advice, I'll forward your comments on to my brother (the driver)

Archived