Where have you stayed in New Orleans?

Kitty34

anyone stay at maison st.charles? I was able to book them during jazzfest for a one night stay because the reservation manager was very kind and waived the 3 night minimum. it seems like a very cute hotel however i have heard a few negatives such as poor area, not all as expected, etc.

We visit NOLA all the time, and our favorite place to stay by far is Hotel Provincial in the quarter (close to Jackson square). I have never experienced service at any other hotel anywhere else in the world at the same low price the Provincial charges. I highly recommend it (the petite suites are lovely, as are the regular rooms). Another plus is that is right next to Irene's, so you can smell that awesome cooking smell when you walk outside at night :)

Before we found the Provincial, we stayed in the Garden District at The Ponchartrain. I recommend avoiding this hotel unless you can get a room for around $50, then it's worth it (just don't, under any circumstances, book a pension room).

I have also stayed at Le Richlieu (liked it - oh, and they actually have, or had then, free parking), the Dauphine (loved it, but I can't eve find a good deal on it) and the Queen and Crescent (not as nice as they say, wouldn't stay there again).

Ok , fess up. Where is Petunias, My daughter and friends will be in NO for a week the end of Feb. and would love to know of good places to eat. Do you need reservations ? or can you just go. This group will be hungry after all day in a medical conference and ready for some goooooood NO food.

Cori

Cori,

Check it out at:

www.PetuniasRestaurant.com

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh................dont tell MszKitty..........or anyone else........tell your daughter to have a crepe for me.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I seeeee you DesrtDrmr.:p I was going to break down and give Cori the website, but you beat me to it. ;)

By the way....I have only had their humungus (where is spell check?:confused: ..lol ) crepes, but I have no doubt that the rest of their food is wonderful too.

Ok , fess up. Where is Petunias, My daughter and friends will be in NO for a week the end of Feb. and would love to know of good places to eat. Do you need reservations ? or can you just go. This group will be hungry after all day in a medical conference and ready for some goooooood NO food.

Cori

By the way Cori. I can honestly say that no matter where I've eaten in NO the food has always been great. There are so many restaraunts to choose from for a good meal, its so hard to choose. I have never had a bad meal while in NO. (Well, except for once at a place called the Embers on the corner of Bourbon St and St Peters. The service was beyond terrible and the food not any better. After having had to talk to the management several times about the service & food, we finally left without leaving any tip. And I can say I can't remember ever NOT leaving a tip. I felt bad, but yet at the same time, it was truly unbelievably BAD service.)

Also looking for a NO Hotel. Does anyone know of a hotel that does not charge for parking? How about any hotels with a park and cruise special? I tried the Hilton Riverside but was never able to find a good rate.

Mom2two,

We are cruising the Conquest in June and booked The Holiday Inn Select at the convention center. The rate we got was $129.00 which includes a bottle of wine, shuttle to the pier, breakfast, and free parking for the week. I don;t know what the hotel is like, still trying to get info on it from these boards but we thought it was a pretty good deal. Anyone here stayed there before? Can we walk to the pier if we have luggage on rollers? Would love to know. Thanks!

Thank You. I bookmarked the site. LOOKS GOOD. Wish I was going , but I will tell my daughter and friends and I am sure they will go to Petunias. We were in NO two yrs ago and had a great time, went to a little french place on St Charles, it was a cafateria type place , but wow the food was great.. it was mostly locals eating there and I can see why. We were in a hotel right across the street from Emerils , but we didn't get to have dinner there :(, but next time I plan to , and also Petunias as well. :) Thanks again. and I won't tell a soul. :)

Cori

HI,

I was wondering if anyone has stayed at this hotel in New Orleans? I got it on Hotwire for 97.00. We are only going to be there for 1 night so I'm hoping it's ok! Also, do you know how close to the French Quarter I will be? Any reply regarding this would be great!

Thanks,

Sue

HI,

I was wondering if anyone has stayed at this hotel in New Orleans? I got it on Hotwire for 97.00. We are only going to be there for 1 night so I'm hoping it's ok! Also, do you know how close to the French Quarter I will be? Any reply regarding this would be great!

Thanks,

Sue

Here's a map of the French Quarter. It will give you an idea of where your hotel is compared to the FQ.

French Quarter Mapfqmap.jpg

• 3 years later...

My GF and I stayed at the La Pavillion.

Deciding to stay here was one of the best decisions I have ever made traveling. The customer service was above and beyond. To the porter carrying bags, to the concierge desk, to the over all atmosphere this place was first class all the way and this was off a Hotwire win.

When we arrived we asked if there was a soda machine. There was none unfortunately and the in hotel restaurant and bar was already closed. Without us even requesting or asking one of the workers went to a convenience store picked up some Diet Pepsi and delivered it to our room free of charge. We were dumbfounded at this small gesture. Of course we tipped the guy well.

They also have set up in the lobby peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, milk and hot chocolate as a nightly tradition. After a long day of driving its a perfect snack.

I would highly recommend La Pavillion

• 5 weeks later...

I certainly can't recommend where we stayed... The LaQuinta in Gretna, just across the river from the port.

The elevator had been set on fire, and has apparently been out of order for many days. We had to haul our luggage up the stairs...

The wireless Internet access (which we were counting on using to finish up some loose ends right before we sailed) was out of order when we were there, the weekend of November 29th-30th, 2008. The surly staff didn't even offer an apology - just blank stares...

They had a hotel-wide power outage the morning we checked out. As if we needed any more motivation to get out of that dump!

Believe it or not, I've actually stayed at worse dives than this. (But those dives charged a LOT less.) This LaQuinta is a disgrace to the franchise.

I certainly can't recommend where we stayed... The LaQuinta in Gretna, just across the river from the port.

The elevator had been set on fire, and has apparently been out of order for many days. We had to haul our luggage up the stairs...

The wireless Internet access (which we were counting on using to finish up some loose ends right before we sailed) was out of order when we were there, the weekend of November 29th-30th, 2008. The surly staff didn't even offer an apology - just blank stares...

They had a hotel-wide power outage the morning we checked out. As if we needed any more motivation to get out of that dump!

Believe it or not, I've actually stayed at worse dives than this. (But those dives charged a LOT less.) This LaQuinta is a disgrace to the franchise.

Bruce, it sounds like nothing really went right for you on this cruise. I truely am sorry!!!!

I wouldn't recommend where we stayed either. We choose a BandB, thought it would be fun and the price was right. Without going into detail, we know why the price was right.

The only good part, it was only a couple of blocks from the French quarters so we had a great location. The name of the place: LaMonte House..Just to forwarn people. Again, for the price we can't complain and the room itself was quite nice. The rest of it, service, breakfast, overall condition, noise level would have been funny had we not been so tired and looking for a good night sleep before we started our cruise.

Nita

Hotel LeCirque. . .it is not in the French Quarter but we walked there from the hotel. We were there during Mardi Gras on a Friday night and the room was less than $100. I was with a group of girlfriends, we were able to stand right outside the hotel entrance to watch the parade. . .even though it was rainy and 35 degrees. But we did manage to stand in the rain and enjoy one of the parades that wasn't cancelled. Then we walked down to Margaritaville for dinner and meandered through the French Quarter on the way back to the hotel. It was clean, the staff was friendly and helpful. . .the only trouble we almost had was getting a taxi to the port - they were about to close down the street for the parade so we got the taxi just in time. Make sure you go to the port early on a parade day! Next time I want to spend more time in NOLA. . .I loved it!

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a map of the French Quarter. It will give you an idea of where your hotel is compared to the FQ.

French Quarter Mapfqmap.jpg

Thanks for the map but we're staying at the Hilton across from Harrahs (2 Poydrus St) Could two older people walk to the pier from there or is that too hard??? What about walking to the French quarter?? Thanks for any help:)

need nice hotel (hopefully a deal) ...would like to be close to the action...is that bourbon st...i have never been there?????

Le Dauphine is one block off Bourbon, but quiet. We really liked it. It's quirky but very clean and the service was fabulous. And a good deal at $99 per night for a standard room with AAA/CAA membership and $116 for a courtyard boutique hotel room.

Viv

Archived