Benefits of using a PVP?

cantwait06

Hi everyone,

I am working on booking a cruise and I keep getting phone calls from a PVP to "assist" me. I'm wondering what the benefits of using a PVP are (if any)? Last time I booked it myself through the website, and found that to be quite easy. Can a PVP do anything special for me? Do they cost more to book through? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Hi everyone,

I am working on booking a cruise and I keep getting phone calls from a PVP to "assist" me. I'm wondering what the benefits of using a PVP are (if any)? Last time I booked it myself through the website, and found that to be quite easy. Can a PVP do anything special for me? Do they cost more to book through? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Shouldnt cost you any more than what you are seeing on the website and there is always the possibility they are seeing or know of an upcoming rate promo in advance that you are unaware of that could be a better rate than you found !

Now the """pestering phone calls""" thats another topic in itself !

1.A good PVP can check all the special rates that may apply to you. Not all special rates are able to be seen on the web site.

2. Using a PVP cuts out the middle man. If there is a problem or issue the PVP can handle it quickly in most cases.

The trick is getting a good PVP, they are not all created equal.

1.A good PVP can check all the special rates that may apply to you. Not all special rates are able to be seen on the web site.

2. Using a PVP cuts out the middle man. If there is a problem or issue the PVP can handle it quickly in most cases.

The trick is getting a good PVP, they are not all created equal.

Like he said!;)

thats a good point. My PVP has emailed me some special rates that were not on the Carnival site for next February. Two dates for Conquest she thought I might be interested at $319. I was already booked for January though and didnt want another cruise. time to take a break.

In addition to rates, they can help you with cabin selection - I've found sometimes the cabin I want might not show up on the website but my PVP shows it as available.

This same thing happened to me. I was wanting to book 2 porthole cabins and one of the ones I wanted wasn't showing up on the website. My PVP was able to talk with her supervisor to see if the room was just being held or what. Luckily, they were able to "release" it so I could get my cabins together. Also, my PVP was able to note that even though I booked two cabins, we all wanted to be seated together for dinner (wasn't sure how to make this happen so I booked with my PVP instead of via Carnival's website). :)

It's funny that some people get a lot of calls from their PVP and I can't get one to call me, I used the Carnival on-line CALL ME feature twice and sent Carnival an E-Mail and have yet to get a call. We are planning three Carnival cruises on Destiny, Valor and Freedom next August and September with family and friends. We used to spent a week at the beach and two weeks in Orlando but since we got the cruise bug on Carnival Sensation it's all cruising from now on.

I've booked both with a PVP and online, but after a few times of having my PVP telling me "I'm sorry I can't match that price", I gave up and just book with a cruise discounter.

No PVP can "match" an online discounters rates if they are below CCL's published fares (probably because they are either rebating commission or have group space that is lower than the rates you are seeing via CCL i.e. online or via PVP).

Benefits of a good PVP:

1. ensuring that you pay more than you would if you used a good TA.

2. ensuring that your cruise insurance costs more than it would through a good TA/

3. ensuring that you get endless annoying emails for years to come.

:D (this post tongue-in-cheek ... sort of ... because it really is the truth also ...)

The PVP we use has matched any price we have found on the internet with one exception which I could not understand. It took him about an hour to do the math (to figure out why) but when he called us back we would have saved $4.00 each using the on line site.

PVP's can recall any cabin that is found on another on line site we have it done on at least four occasions.

Like others have said if a problem arises you can go directly to the PVP or Carnival.

The PVP we use has matched any price we have found on the internet with one exception which I could not understand. It took him about an hour to do the math (to figure out why) but when he called us back we would have saved $4.00 each using the on line site.

Are you talking about online ADVERTISED price or an actual TA price? Because there is a real difference. Yes, noone can advertise a lower price than Carnival can get you, but TAs can and DO beat Carnival's prices by cutting their commission to give you a better rate. I talked to PVPs and TAs to get the absolute best I could this year and on my 2 cruises I saved over $1000 by using a TA (almost $1400 if you include travel insurance costs). That's a very hefty chunk of change.

Are you talking about online ADVERTISED price or an actual TA price? Because there is a real difference. Yes, noone can advertise a lower price than Carnival can get you, but TAs can and DO beat Carnival's prices by cutting their commission to give you a better rate. I talked to PVPs and TAs to get the absolute best I could this year and on my 2 cruises I saved over $1000 by using a TA (almost $1400 if you include travel insurance costs). That's a very hefty chunk of change.

We actually do "interline rates" (the military rate is the same rate code) because the DW is an F/A with a major airline. We do a little research and just call our PVP and in every case he has matched it. To me any cruise lines travel insurance is a matter of convenience which comes with premium. With a little research the savings on this can be significant.

In your case you researched the best possible price for the cruises you wanted and it turns out a TA worked out the best. It's prudent advice to do the research but there are many variables for each individual booking such as early saver etc. Like you stated the savings can be "hefty" if you do your homework.

Benefits of a good PVP:

1. ensuring that you pay more than you would if you used a good TA.

2. ensuring that your cruise insurance costs more than it would through a good TA/

3. ensuring that you get endless annoying emails for years to come.

:D (this post tongue-in-cheek ... sort of ... because it really is the truth also ...)

RE # 2: Using a PVP or booking direct doesn't ensure that insurance will cost more than through a TA. You don't have to use Carnival's insurance, and I never have. Just like you don't and in most cases shouldn't book you flight through them.

RE #3: Some of us want emails about specials, but there are easy ways to get around that.

RE # 2: Using a PVP or booking direct doesn't ensure that insurance will cost more than through a TA. You don't have to use Carnival's insurance, and I never have. Just like you don't and in most cases shouldn't book you flight through them.

RE #3: Some of us want emails about specials, but there are easy ways to get around that.

Fair play on both accounts, but I still saved $1000 on the first account. That said, I have booked direct before and I'm not saying I never would again. But many people don't even consider or are affraid to try a TA. That was me on my first several cruises.

From now on I will always compare, and I am a big supporter of TAs. Love them! I think I have a great many benefits by having one in fact.

I'm with ya Todd. I haven't used a TA yet, but I always shop around before I book. I have only found very small savings via a TA, and decided it wasn't worth it so far.

Of course one key difference is that I only pay for myself! If I had a whole family to pay for, I imagine the savings would be more enticing.

Of all the 20 cruises I've booked, only 1 has been directly through the cruise line. Have always been able to get a substantially discounted rate through a cruise discounter. On an upcomming Carnival Cruise we saved $400 :D by moving our reservation made with a PVP to a discounter prior to final payment.

Of all the 20 cruises I've booked, only 1 has been directly through the cruise line. Have always been able to get a substantially discounted rate through a cruise discounter. On an upcomming Carnival Cruise we saved $400 :D by moving our reservation made with a PVP to a discounter prior to final payment.

But per new CCL guidelines, you are no longer able to do this beyond 30 days after your initial deposit.

Archived