denied boarding

matildab

hi

we live in Australia and have booked an msc cruise ex Venice via an Amercian cruise agency(confused?)we have been told that we may be denied boarding because we booked thru a us agency

has anyone heard of this?

thanks

Rose

hi

we live in Australia and have booked an msc cruise ex Venice via an Amercian cruise agency(confused?)we have been told that we may be denied boarding because we booked thru a us agency

has anyone heard of this?

thanks

Rose

Ummm. I would email MSC direct to ask them.

Many cruise lines do require customers to purchase cruises only from TAs located within their country of citizenship or actual residence. Language to this effect is sometimes set forth in the cruise contract itself. The Antitrust Division of the US Justice Dept did not take any interest in this practice when I brought it to their attention as a possible violation of US unfair trade or antitrust statutes.

Usually the TAs will decline to sell passage if you identify yourselves as unqualified by reason of residence or nationality. Did you use a friend's address to make the purchase from the American TA? Since you were able to purchase I presume you did. If you did not, then either MSC does not adhere to this local TA requirement or your TA screwed up (and you should confirm with it the validity of your right to board). In either case as you now have the tickets, I would be surprised if the cruise line denied you passage. If you opt to inquire I would approach the subject discreetly. Read the cruise contract and then make a general inquiry either via another TA or with MSC anonymously.

Not all cruise lines accept bookings from agents outside your own country of residence, but MSC do.

We have, in the past, successfully booked an MSC cruise through a US agent and encountered no problems whatsoever.

One piece of advice I would give you though, is to visit the US website & fill in the form you will find there. It appears it is a requirement for cruises booked in the US, something we would not normally have to do. You can find the form here. It does allow you to fill in your Nationality, Country of residence etc, so there should be no problems upon boarding.

http://www.msccruisesgetforms.com/GuestDeclaration.aspx

It might also be an idea to also check in online via MSC express. (You could try doing this on the Australian website.)

Good luck..I'm sure everything will be fine. :)

On our 2007 family reunion cruise with MSC Opera to Europe, my local TA booked my H.K., Australia & Taiwan guests, among others so we can be staying not too far apart. And she did the same with all the other cruise lines with no problem of aboard the ships at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to check in with MSC Express....

all I get is a button to save the info I entered, then it shows info and then has 2 buttons to click, one to edit info, one to create the form to show at check-in, am I missing something I feel like I should bve able to click submit somewhere. I have already filled in and submitted the Guest Declaration form.....

Joe

Archived