Packing list for cruise with kids?

ELA

Help!! First time going on the cruise with my almost 6 yr old kids for a week to Banahams (Carnvals PRide). Panicking as I"m not packed yet and we're leaving in 5 days - and I do work FT!! Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thx

I haven't ever come across a published "packing list", but I can share with you what I'm bringing for my 6 YO.

Packing List/s:

Passports Cruise docs

Airline info/itineraries Excursion confirmations

Credit card/s Make up

Hair products Insect repellant

Extension cord

Razor/shaving cream Sunscreen

Anti-diuretic pills Pepto pills

Bonine (less drowsy motion sickness pills) Ginger pills

Immodium pills

Ginger Altoids/Peppermint Altoids Bandaids

Neosporin Ibuprofen/kid's

Snorkel gear Migraine pills

Cameras Travel alarm clock

Cell phone + charger Battery charger

Extra batteries (AAA and camera batts) Waterproof camera x6

Lanyards Air freshener

Card for room safe Insulated cups

Sunglasses Brush

Toothbrushes & pastes Water shoes

Extra pairs of glasses S/J ipod charger

NIGHTLIGHT

10 YO DD 6 YO DS

3 swimsuits 3 pair swim trunks

Cover up sandals/flip flops

Sandals/flips flops sneakers

Sneakers dress shoes

Dress shoes

3 pair of shorts

3-4 pair of shorts 2 pair of pants

3-4 tshirts 3-4 golf shirts

2 formal dresses black suit coat

Cardigan 2 ties

Tights? 2 dress shirts

4 dinner outfits 3 pair white socks

5-6 pair undies 3 pair of black socks

2 pair white socks 5-6 pair Undies

5-6 PJ’s belt

Books 5-6 PJ’s

Journal Books

DS/games./charger iPod

Ipod Journal

Nintendo DS

Daily Meds

This is also taking into account I plan on using laundry service once to do undies and PJ's.

SORRY, LOL, i copied & pasted and it didn't work out real well, LOL.

• 4 months later...

OMG. My arms ache at the thought of hauling my wife and 2 daughters items on this our "first" family cruise with 5 year olds.....

Anybody know what is for sale, for toys, clothes, towels etc... that can be bought on board the Celebrity Century?

Everything on Board is expensive. Let the two five year olds pack their own small backpack with whatever toys they want to bring, and they should carry it. You should check out the backpacks to ensure appropriate things. Tell them to make sure to leave room in their packs if they want to bring home some souvineers(?sp) with them.

I'm hoping this will work with my 3yo in a couple of years. I am planning on carring his backpack for him. He watches me making my list and has started his own with drawings of the toys he wants to take. I do plan to take his DVD player with headphones and many DVD's for those boring adult times.

Clothes depend on which cruise line you are on. You will see in many places people recommend to pack what you believe you will need and then take 1/2 out. Not so easy with kids.

The lugging of luggage doesn't last that long and in most places you can find help.

I'm sure you all will have a great time:):D:):D:). Just go with the flow.

Don't forget to take children's pain medicine/fever reducer and Benadryl, appropriate for the child's age. We ran into a man of war on the Beach that my dd tripped and fell on. After a frantic search on ship, my DH ran out to port at the last minute and bought a package. You never know.

Almost forgot. Ipod nano with headphones, preloaded with a couple movies worked great for my two year old (used special volume limiting headphones). Not a peep on the airplane. More lightweight than a DVD player and you can download free Sesame street episodes. Granted the episodes revolved around healthy habbits, but my DD likes Elmo in any role. You may already have DVD's that include free digital downloads. Tiny screen didn't phase her a bit. I'm not a huge TV fan, but much rather have her veg for an hour than cry on a plane because she is bored, IMHO.

Also bring a small toy, but don't stress about bringing a lot. Check with the children's club, many lines will let you borrow toys to check out for the duration of your cruise. I did bring her favorite bedtime book- helped transition her to bedtime easily as it was part of her normal routine.

Absolutely bring a child seat if you will be riding in a taxi- most will not transport her without it.

Don't forget to take children's pain medicine/fever reducer and Benadryl, appropriate for the child's age. We ran into a man of war on the Beach that my dd tripped and fell on. After a frantic search on ship, my DH ran out to port at the last minute and bought a package. You never know.

What's a "man of war"?

Dont' forget the hydrocortisone and kids cold meds too! (Just in case!)

Now for the poster who had to drag all of those suitcases with the 5 year olds:

In all honesty here is what you really need for the 5 year old girls. :)

For each girl:

-Sundresses. :) They are great. They double as swimsuit cover-ups for going to the beach days. They can then be dried and used as appropriate dinner attire for the little girls. They are life savers!! I'd pack 5 of them.

-One formal dress and appropriate accessories.

-2 pairs of shorts

-4 t-shirts.

-one pair of khaki capris. (They go great with a t-shirt for a quick we have to get to dinner outfit)

-one sweatshirt

-one cardigan (because the dinning rooms are always cold!)

-3 swimsuits. (trust me on this. Girls hate to put on wet swimsuits)

-1 pair of flip flops/crocs for the beach/pool

-1 pair of cute girly sandals for dinner

-1 pair of tennis shoes for land based excursions.

That's it. No more clothes. That will be plenty. Plus you can always handwash stuff in the sink if something happens to the item. :)

I don't take any beach toys with me. The greatest thing to take is disposable plastic cups. They are wonderful for building sandcastles. Just be sure to get the "good and sturdy" ones. As for toys I'd limit each child to one backpack that they can carry. I recommend the ones with wheels. :) They love dragging those things all over creation.

I haven't ever come across a published "packing list", but I can share with you what I'm bringing for my 6 YO.

Packing List/s:

Passports Cruise docs

Airline info/itineraries Excursion confirmations

Credit card/s Make up

Hair products Insect repellant

Extension cord

Razor/shaving cream Sunscreen

Anti-diuretic pills Pepto pills

Bonine (less drowsy motion sickness pills) Ginger pills

Immodium pills

Ginger Altoids/Peppermint Altoids Bandaids

Neosporin Ibuprofen/kid's

Snorkel gear Migraine pills

Cameras Travel alarm clock

Cell phone + charger Battery charger

Extra batteries (AAA and camera batts) Waterproof camera x6

Lanyards Air freshener

Card for room safe Insulated cups

Sunglasses Brush

Toothbrushes & pastes Water shoes

Extra pairs of glasses S/J ipod charger

NIGHTLIGHT

10 YO DD 6 YO DS

3 swimsuits 3 pair swim trunks

Cover up sandals/flip flops

Sandals/flips flops sneakers

Sneakers dress shoes

Dress shoes

3 pair of shorts

3-4 pair of shorts 2 pair of pants

3-4 tshirts 3-4 golf shirts

2 formal dresses black suit coat

Cardigan 2 ties

Tights? 2 dress shirts

4 dinner outfits 3 pair white socks

5-6 pair undies 3 pair of black socks

2 pair white socks 5-6 pair Undies

5-6 PJ’s belt

Books 5-6 PJ’s

Journal Books

DS/games./charger iPod

Ipod Journal

Nintendo DS

Daily Meds

This is also taking into account I plan on using laundry service once to do undies and PJ's.

SORRY, LOL, i copied & pasted and it didn't work out real well, LOL.

That's a great list. This is a great post, because it's specific to a lot of families needs that have 5 ish year olds.

Thanks much for the input everyone. It's only a week at sea, but it's still a week at sea.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise and here are some things I'm glad we had that I don't think were mentioned by others:

An LED mini digital clock

a battery operated candle and DOT light for the bathroom and cabin

a reusable water bottle to fill with water or lemonaid to bring into port

A couple weeks before a cruise I start puting it into my head to come up with things that I do not use everyday that might be good to have packed and put them asside. For example...

I know that my son has had breathing issues if he gets a bad cold. He doesn't have a cold now but figure if something happens on the cruise at least I know I brought the medication with me and could probable get a nebulizer from the doctor if I really needed it. Doesn't take up any extra room and makes me feel better to have.

Also, things like diaper rash cream, even though my daughter (2 1/2yrs) has not had diaper rash in a year, you would not believe how much it came in handy this last trip. She used a new life jacket for the first time, swam for about an hour and when we were changing back in the room I reallized the strap that goes between her legs had rubbed her so hard it looked like a knife had sliced her leg. And of course it's right where the diaper goes so everytime she went potty it hurt. The diaper rash cream was a life saver...it kept the wound from getting wet, helped it heal, controlled some of the pain and by the end of the cruise it was 95% gone. I would not have packed it normally but I tend to overpack at the last minute trying to think of every possible scenario of what could go wrong! That's me though, most poeple would say you could get away with 1/2 of what I bring. LOL

Another suggestion...This last trip I actually made up a list of things we could buy when we got to Florida and take on the ship with us, so I wan't packing things to heavy. I purchased diapers, water, snacks, beach toys (for $5)....all things I could leave behind at the end. It worked out great!

I always make this suggestion and everyone scrunches up their face...but here goes. Glycerine suppositories!! Kids eating habits change on vacation and can get bound up and it's hard to find laxatives that are safe for kids, especially in a foreign land in a cruise port! Nothing's worse than a constipated kid!!

:)

Archived