Nassau Touring Question

SeaShell70

I am going to be in Nassau the week of Thanksgiving. My husband has trouble walking and we would like to see the city. Is it better to book the cruise ship tour or is it safe to get off the pier and find a cab to take us around town? Thanks for any replies.

I am going to be in Nassau the week of Thanksgiving. My husband has trouble walking and we would like to see the city. Is it better to book the cruise ship tour or is it safe to get off the pier and find a cab to take us around town? Thanks for any replies.

There are 2 taxi tours that seem to get great reviews here. One is a driver named Ottis. He apparently gets to the ship area around 9:15. I don't recall the name of the second driver, maybe you can find it with a search.

If you CAN'T secure Ottis or another highly recommended driver, I would recommend you book through the ship. We asked for Ottis. It was 8:30, and another driver was charming and funny, and was ready to go with two other couples. So instead of waiting, we went with him. Bad idea. It was a terrible tour. We didn't even drive by the Queens staircase, let alone stop at it. We raced around the island with him pointing at shopping centers. Then he delivered a small paper bag to someone behind a Starbucks. I didn't even want to know what that was all about....... Our time was limited, and I was so mad at myself for not spending a few dollars more and taking a ship tour.

By the way, we went to Fort Charlotte. Your husband will likely have a hard time walking around in the Fort. Might want to take that into consideration.

Many of the taxi drivers use a large van which would give you and your husband great visibility to tour the city. Given the old historic structures and many of the steps and curbs, most of your tour might be limited to staying in the vehicle. You will get a bird's eye view of the Government House (where the Duke of Windsor and his infamous American wife lived in the 40's), The Graycliff Hotel (where Sir Winston Churchill enjoyed cigars) and several Historic forts from as far back as the 1700's. Make a list and tell the driver what you want to see. On Paradise Island don't miss the French Cloister, brought from Europe by Randolph Hearst. Then lunch at Arawak Cay (local foods like conch in an open atmosphere, try Goldie's) or at the upscale Cafe Matise by the Government buildings downtown would allow some easier mobility when you are ready to get out of the taxi and stretch. If time allows, out west in the Cable Beach area, Rita Marley has opened her vacation home as a boutique hotel complete with Bob Marley souvenirs and a gold record room. They have a nice bar and restaurant. Enjoy!

Archived