Chanukah celebration aboard OASIS Dec. 12-19, 2009?

I have friends who were on Rhapsody of the Seas last year over Chanukah, and they had a room where people gathered for candle lighting every night. Our friends are more Orthodox style, and the ceremony was conducted by a reform rabbi that was on board especially, but there quite a few Jewish people on the cruise that were both orthodox and reform who came every night. I would assume this would happen throughout the fleet if they had it on Rhapsody.

I was on a different cruiseline during Hanukkah, but there was a retired rabbi onboard with the candle lightings in one of the bigger lounges during the holiday. Everyone was invited to bring up their menorahs to a big table, and then the "kinder" were asked to come up and help him light the menorahs. He also had a table with latkes and jelly doughnuts but we didn't stick around after the ceremony to sample them.

We left our menorah at home, but I brought a foam sticker menorah set that I bought at Michaels Arts and Crafts and taped it to the stand holding the in-cabin TV. Every night we "lit" a candle.

If it is important to you, contact your cruise line far in advance and get confirmation of what is going to happen on your specific cruise.

In any case you can decorate your own room, but you can't light candles.

Thanks! And I already called RCL a few times. If they can get a rabbi, then they'll have a celebration. Good ideas, though, about bringing my own menorah. Have a happy!

Living in Paradise!

• 1 month later...

Archived