Klein Bonaire by Water Taxi

catsdinner

Anybody ever go over to Klein Bonaire on your own? How much does it cost and is it worth going if we are only in port until 2 pm meaning we have to be back on board by 1:30? How long does it take to get there? How often does the taxies come back?

Thanks

Anybody ever go over to Klein Bonaire on your own? How much does it cost and is it worth going if we are only in port until 2 pm meaning we have to be back on board by 1:30? How long does it take to get there? How often does the taxies come back?

Thanks

If you look at the map in my link .... 98% of the snorkeling is on the south side of Klein(see blue icon with mask and snorkel symbol)...yet the cruise ships water taxi takes us to "no name beach" on the north side. I'm looking for a way to get to the South side of Klein?

http://www.cieebonaire.org/downloads/BonaireIslandMap_enlarged_2009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm not having any luck so far. <snip> I need to find a private boat, captain or something. Sure would like to get to the advanced side of Klein... instead of the sandy side. I want to see a lot of coral. :D

Uh, and FISH? :D Hopefully you'll post about what you found as I think you must be back from Bonaire by now.

Signed,

Desperately Seeking Info ;)

Uh, and FISH? :D Hopefully you'll post about what you found as I think you must be back from Bonaire by now.

Signed,

Desperately Seeking Info ;)

The ships water taxi to Klien was great :D

All the books I read said that "no name beach" didn't have much coral. But I thought it was great! ( I like coral more than fish so I was picky ). We had great fish, and coral just off shore.

Tip- standing on the beach facing the water, turn to your right and walk ALL the way down to the end of the island! and then drift back. Coral goes from biggest to smallest as you drift back towards the boat drop off point.

Pick the spot you want to enter by finding a clearing in the reef (be careful finding a break in the reef to get to the outside edge, so that you can swim without fear of getting too shallow and getting cut). Coral is pretty thick when you walk all the way down to the end of the island (15min walk) But is very weak as you get close to the place where the boat drops you on sandy beach.

Go in the morning if you can. The water can get silty as the day goes on and waves and wind build during the day. (I like the idea of booking someone local like Renee as a guide if you can, because she could pick alternate dive sites if the water conditions change from day to day. She was not avalible for my 11:30 time slot when my ship got to Bonaire). I have to give the ships excursion credit- I loved it! But was surprised how quickly the water got slitted-up right as we were leaving around 2:30 in the afternoon. And have heard stories in the pasts where one group thought it was great in the morning! And another group thought it was awful in the afternoon, so water conditions do play a part also.

I posted a few photos already over on the thread "Woodwind or Renee"

The ships water taxi to Klien was great :D

Tip- standing on the beach facing the water, turn to your right and walk ALL the way down to the end of the island! and then drift back. Coral goes from biggest to smallest as you drift back towards the boat drop off point.

Pick the spot you want to enter by finding a clearing in the reef (be careful finding a break in the reef to get to the outside edge, so that you can swim without fear of getting too shallow and getting cut). Coral is pretty thick when you walk all the way down to the end of the island (15min walk) But is very weak as you get close to the place where the boat drops you on sandy beach.

So did you walk along the beach barefoot and leave your towel, etc. on the beach where you got off the water taxi? And do all the ship water taxi's take you to the same part of the island? Maybe you and I are on different ships and will end up in different spots!

Your posts are great! Sorry I get so hung up on details, but maybe my questions will help someone else also. Thanks, Markstudy.

So did you walk along the beach barefoot and leave your towel, etc. on the beach where you got off the water taxi? And do all the ship water taxi's take you to the same part of the island? .

I was carrying my fins, and wearing little neapream water socks (booties)

Its best to put them on in the water taxi, to keep from getting sand in your booties

Nice sandy beach. You don't need to wear anything on your feet. I do to keep from getting rubbed raw by my rubber swim fins.

Left my towel and back pack where the water taxi drops you. Most all the taxis dropped at the same place because there is a big cut in the coral rock so the boats can pull in there. Most people sat in that area, not going to far one-way or the other.

One more tip- Wind will blow the sand. Pick a good spot beside some bushes.

We watched late in the afternoon as the wind picked up, and many people laying out in the open were getting hit by flying sand as they lay on their towels.

"I was carrying my fins, and wearing little neapream water socks (booties)"

Thanks, markstudy, for suggesting ways to handle "gear" while snorkeling. Can't wait to snorkel this amazing place . . . and it better not be stormy the day we're in port!

Archived