scuba diving - Belize or Cozumel

cobbmom123

OK, all you divers out there, hubby may only be able to dive at one port on our upcoming cruise. Ideally, he wants to do Cozumel and Belize. However, if he could only do one - which one is best?

Also, we'd love some pictures from dive trips to these areas if anyone has any.

I posted the same question a few months ago and received votes for both! So, I think the bottom line is that you wouldn't really go wrong with either location. Here is some of the info I gathered when making our decision:

• Belize - second largest barrier reef in the world; a day trip off a cruise does not afford you enough time to go to the 'best' sites; work with the cruise ship excursion to save time (since it is a tender port, the dive boat picks you up directly from the boat)
  • Cozumel - choice of both cruise ship and independent excursions; may not be part of the second largest reef but there is still amazing diving/snorkeling; shorter travel time needed to get to dive sites

We decided to go with Cozumel - since we want to go cave tubing in Belize.

Check out the scuba and snorkeling board for additional info/opinions.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Over the years I have dove many times in Cozumel and once in Belize.

Both are wonderful sites, so other factors may influence your decision.

1. Cost-usually more in Belize

2. Time- Cozumel you should get back in time to do shopping or hit a bar

Belize- the dive boat picks you up right off the ship and returms you there, so you would have to tender in to go shopping, also long ride to dive site.

3. Dive Company- if you can find out from Cruiseline can help.

4. Dive Boat- this can be the deciding factor- in Cozumel I have been on the "normal style" dive boats and I was on an old brown boat with a wooden ladder that they put in from the side, first time on this the boat hardly moved, second time they had fixed the motor, a unique experience. When the motor was broke it was a very very long excursion.

Belize- this was a little open boat, i believe we only had 6 divers, no place to get out of sun, also, took lunch break on beach so had to come in then go back out.

5. What you see- Both are drift dives, I think the actual dive was better in Belize, but not sure would go through it again while on cruise. May be going there in Dec and am probably going to opt for cave tubing in Belize

Favorite spot to dive is actually Roatan

Archived