Looking for advice

kirbyhall

First time Carnival Cruiser… I have a couple of questions and please forgive me if I sound like an idiot..

I’m seeking knowledge about buying coffee at any point on my cruise. Are there any restrictions on bringing a personal amount back into the USA?

I will be doing the Western Bahamas Cruise starting on February 21st on the Valor….

Also, I have read many comments about security in Belize and I’ve decided to take heed to those warnings. But, I would like to find something outside of the typical porting area. Is there anything safe enough? I will be looking for general shopping for trinkets and souvenirs of the local nature.

First time Carnival Cruiser… I have a couple of questions and please forgive me if I sound like an idiot..

I’m seeking knowledge about buying coffee at any point on my cruise. Are there any restrictions on bringing a personal amount back into the USA?

I will be doing the Western Bahamas Cruise starting on February 21st on the Valor….

Also, I have read many comments about security in Belize and I’ve decided to take heed to those warnings. But, I would like to find something outside of the typical porting area. Is there anything safe enough? I will be looking for general shopping for trinkets and souvenirs of the local nature.

kirbyhall, you can probably find coffee at any of your ports. There are a couple of large supermarkets in Cozumel that sell Mexican coffee beans. In Roatan you can find Honduran coffee (cafe mirimundo brand) in local shops and the Eldon groceries in French Harbor (closer to new Carnival pier than Coxen Hole). There is a grocery in Belize City and some of the tourist spots may sell Belize Coffee.

As far as things to do outside of the tourist village, most travelers recommend getting outside the city. The city is more of a wroking city than a tourist city. There is a Belizian Handicraft area, but I understand prices there are a bit high. Prices for Belizian items at the tourist village seem to be reasonable.

There are some interesting restaurants to try outside the Wet Lizard in the Tourist Village. Two come to mind: Smokey MerMaid in the Great House Hotel on the same side of the bay as the Tourist Village is very good and across the swing bridge is JamBel's jerk chicken shack.

I suggest you contact one of horse drawn carrage tour vendors and set up a tour with them. Be careful if waiting to do a tour on your own with any vendor waiting outside the gates. Just make sure they have a tourist license and you agree on the price and where you're going and the time/length of the tour. Here's a map of the city.

http://ambergriscaye.com/maps/art/belizecitymap.gif

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Archived