Snorkle vest help non swimmer

ducklovemama

I am not the greatest swimmer but I learned how to snorkle on my last cruise ( in shallow water).This cruise comming up I am headed out to the deeper waters. Will the snorkle vest keep me afloat if I tire out ? I cannot tred water. My snorlkle vest was bought at a dive shop and my husband bought the best.Is there anyone who has snorkled with a vest who is not a good swimmer? I just need reasurance.

I am not the greatest swimmer but I learned how to snorkle on my last cruise ( in shallow water).This cruise comming up I am headed out to the deeper waters. Will the snorkle vest keep me afloat if I tire out ? I cannot tred water. My snorlkle vest was bought at a dive shop and my husband bought the best.Is there anyone who has snorkled with a vest who is not a good swimmer? I just need reasurance.

Do not fret..the vest works just fine. I tire easily when snorkeling so I too bought a vest my second trip and was able to do much more time and go to further depths. Have fun.

Yes the vest will help keep you afloat but you really should go get some swimming lessons if you are not a good swimmer, most schools, red cross etc offer semi- private and private lessons. equipment CAN and does fail. (murphys law- anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and at the worst possible time)

The snorkel vest is your insurance policy. It will keep you up in the water just fine so you will not have to tread water. Also remember that salt water is more buoyant so you automatically float higher.

Have a great trip and enjoy the little fishies!

I don't swim well at all, I float like a rock. I have used a snorkel vest and it does help but I don't like the way it feels around my neck. I really like using a noodle, although I was skeptical at first. It gives me the buoyancy I need to snorkel for as long as I want. The bright color noodle lets my husband spot me easily. It also packs pretty easily, bending around the inside curve of my suitcase.

My wife is a non-swimmer. But guess what, she uses all 3 items. She wears a 3mm long wetsuit, then plus a snorkel vest, and holds a noodle. The wetsuit helps to keep warm. The snorkel vest gives a little more assurance she'll float with head up. The noodle gives yet more assurance - and allows others to see where she is.

She really enjoys snorkeling now. I'm not a good swimmer, and I'm enjoying diving.

Oh, get the snorkel vest that has the crotch strap. Makes a big difference, to keep it in place, rather than floating up to push at your neck.

My wife is a non-swimmer. But guess what, she uses all 3 items. She wears a 3mm long wetsuit, then plus a snorkel vest, and holds a noodle. The wetsuit helps to keep warm. The snorkel vest gives a little more assurance she'll float with head up. The noodle gives yet more assurance - and allows others to see where she is.

She really enjoys snorkeling now. I'm not a good swimmer, and I'm enjoying diving.

Oh, get the snorkel vest that has the crotch strap. Makes a big difference, to keep it in place, rather than floating up to push at your neck.

Thanks to all for your advice. I did take swim lessons a couple of years ago and still could'nt tred water. The noodle sounds interesting. Yes my vest has a crotch strap. I think that I will just stick with the vest. It is made very well. My husband said I will be fine and if I go down he can save me. He said wait and see I will be fine and in a couple of years I will not even use a vest ( Yeah Right) :eek:

My husband said I will be fine and if I go down he can save me. He said wait and see I will be fine and in a couple of years I will not even use a vest ( Yeah Right) :eek:

Actually I told my wife she has lots of life insurance, so don't worry.:D

For my wife it may sound like an overkill. But with that she is quite comfortable snorkeling now. I'm not usually around her, because I'm diving, so if anything I'll be below her.

Actually I told my wife she has lots of life insurance, so don't worry.:D

For my wife it may sound like an overkill. But with that she is quite comfortable snorkeling now. I'm not usually around her, because I'm diving, so if anything I'll be below her.

Cute !!!!

Oh by the way. I am going to use a 3mm shortie of my husband's that is a little to small on him. I got my new fins in the mail yesterday. I am set now. No matter what I told myself that i am not going to chicken out this time. I am going to face my fears head on and just go for it.:)

Archived