Carseat question (again)

leighi123

We are going on our first cruise in december on Freedom of the Seas -

My son who will be almost 2.5 when we go is comming along, we live in florida so we will be driving to the port where the ship leaves from.

To me it looked like most of the activites are close to shore, where we could walk to them - is that true? Is there anything where we would HAVE to ride in a shuttle/taxi/bus? or are those activites all optional? Is it possible to request vehicals w/seatbelts?

I looked up the laws - haiti and mexico, no rules, Cayman follows U.S. carseat laws and Jamaca requires carseats for kids under 4.

:confused:

He rides rearfacing in a TrueFit - which is a big seat. I can try to get a Radian before the trip, but that is pretty big too - but it does fold down (only problem is it just came out recently so they are hard to find, and its $300!). Or I can get a lighter, basic seat which we will probably never use again for under $50.

The joey thing people all seem to have is a no-go, because its not carseat tech approved. The Ride Safer vest is good, but my son is only 22lbs, so way too small for it (30lb minimum). And usually he rides rearfacing (its 500% safer than forward facing!)

Im a carseat tech, so paranoid about carseats, he will NOT ride in a moving vehical without one - so my question is more about weather or not we can avoid having to ride in a car.

Thanks!

Labadee (Haiti)---no vehicle needed...except the tender! It's the private beach...you walk everywhere. They do have a trolley, but you won't need a seat for that.

GC---there are shops and stuff all within walking distance, so unless you plan on taking a tour or going to a faraway beach, it's walkable.

Mexico....which port? That will depend if that's walkable, as well.

I don't know if you can avoid riding in a car, but I would think so. Any excursions I have been on involved a bus and there were no seat belts for adults or children. Not sure that makes you feel better, but there were no small cars involved on scheduled excursions I went on and to be sure you could book on the ship and ask prior to booking.

I just wanted to chime in to say I mistakenly sprang the over $200 for the Radian 65, it is WAY heavier than my Britax and is sitting at home seeing if I can sell it on Ebay. It's a great concept, but why would they make a travel seat weigh so much?

My son is almost 2 and 22lbs and it's huge for him as well. I think I could get the straps correct on it as I am also a nut about car seat installation being correct, BUT it was just WAY too heavy to bring along.

We are going on our first cruise in december on Freedom of the Seas -

The joey thing people all seem to have is a no-go, because its not carseat tech approved. The Ride Safer vest is good, but my son is only 22lbs, so way too small for it (30lb minimum). And usually he rides rearfacing (its 500% safer than forward facing!)

Im a carseat tech, so paranoid about carseats, he will NOT ride in a moving vehical without one - so my question is more about weather or not we can avoid having to ride in a car.

Thanks!

Hi, I own a joey safe, love it and bought it after reading many positive reviews of it on this site. Lately I have been reading that it is not carseat tech approved? What exactly is that and why does it matter? If it conforms to federal reglations isn't that all that matters?Does anyone have anymore specific information about this? I certainly wouldn't keep using it if it is unsafe, however, it appears that it conforms to and has passed the same safety regs that every other carseat passes. If anyone has any links, or articles to share I'd love to know more.

As for your post. I'd bring a seat regardless of whether I felt like I could get by without it. I think it is better to have it and not need it then the other way around. On our last cruise, my tot fell of the bed in the hotel room and we had to get a cab and take her to the ER. If we had "planned" not to need a car seat we would not have been prepared. You just never know....

Hi, I own a joey safe, love it and bought it after reading many positive reviews of it on this site. Lately I have been reading that it is not carseat tech approved? What exactly is that and why does it matter? If it conforms to federal reglations isn't that all that matters?Does anyone have anymore specific information about this? I certainly wouldn't keep using it if it is unsafe, however, it appears that it conforms to and has passed the same safety regs that every other carseat passes. If anyone has any links, or articles to share I'd love to know more.

As for your post. I'd bring a seat regardless of whether I felt like I could get by without it. I think it is better to have it and not need it then the other way around. On our last cruise, my tot fell of the bed in the hotel room and we had to get a cab and take her to the ER. If we had "planned" not to need a car seat we would not have been prepared. You just never know....

It doesnt meet NHSTA standards, which is the national testing for carseat/car saftey devices - its considered an 'aftermarket product' for which there are NO laws regulating testing. Basically they can throw it againt a wall and say 'well we tested it', when really they did nothing. So even though it says its regulated/tested, its not tested by any offical standard - similar to products such as bundle me, mighty tite, and those strap covers or headrests you can buy at baby stores.

There site says:

The FreedomRide has been tested and conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Standards

They've claimed testing and compliance that doesn't exist, note they said 'all applicable' standards - because its not actually a carseat, there are none! Another way you can tell is because they do not use any of the wording that is standard for all carseat/vest instructions.

Also, if you think about how carseats work, they protect the child by keeping the child still/correctly positioned. The joey thing is DESIGNED in a way that the child can move around, they claim that is a positive thing, but if you think about it, if the child isnt correctly positioned, they arent going to be safe.

another thing is that there is no upper torso protection - yes there are straps over the childs shoulders, but it is all attached to a seatbelt, nothing above their shoulders like a carseat. If you look at the RideSafer vest - http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/ which IS an approved/tested saftey devise origionaly designed for speical needs, but now availible for general purchace (there are crash test videos on their site) - you can see the difference in quality, as well as the fact that the Ridesafer requires a top teather, which is what actually protects the childs spine/neck in a crash. The joey thing is the equivilant of putting your child in a lap belt at best.

Looking at the pictures on how it works (I have not seen one in person), it looks to me like it is a 5pt harness, that only attaches to the seatbelt with a loop at the back. So its not really a 5pt harness, because there is only 1 point where it is actually attached to the car. A 5pt harness connects at each of the 5points to the carseat, and therefore to the car

And again reading the directions, the installation is very strange, following their directions, the child would be able to move all over the place. And then it suggests using a locking clip, which is a pre-crash positioning device on actual carseats, its not designed to function in the way they seem to want it to, it would just fly off in a crash leaving the seatbelt loose.

Another thing thats scary is that its rated from 20lbs - what 1yr old would sit correctly? none I know! the AAP standards now say children should rearface to the limits of a convertable seat, which is at least 2yrs old and 30lbs, up to 45lbs depening on the seat.

A regular carseat is more of a pain to carry, but it is MUCH safer, and if your child is 30lbs+, you have the option of using the Ridesafer, which is actually approved.

I would suggest throwing the joey in the trash! (or perhaps send it back?)

Sorry for rambling - LMK if you have any questions! I am a certified carseat tech, and so I know what Im talking about!

Archived