Family of 12

smilesep

Wanting to take a cruise Aug 2010 with ages 9 months-75 yrs old including 2 pre teens,2- 20 yr olds, mainly 40 yr olds except for 2 active seniors. Do you recommend Carnival Liberty or RCL Freedom of the seas? Interested in Eastern Carribean route. Please let me know your opinion since this will be our first cruise. Thanks!

Wanting to take a cruise Aug 2010 with ages 9 months-75 yrs old including 2 pre teens,2- 20 yr olds, mainly 40 yr olds except for 2 active seniors. Do you recommend Carnival Liberty or RCL Freedom of the seas? Interested in Eastern Carribean route. Please let me know your opinion since this will be our first cruise. Thanks!

Hello,

I greatly admire you for even thinking about a cruise with this big and varied group. I would however consider other cruise lines as they have excellent ships and nice itineraries, specifically Princess and Celebrity's newer ships like the Celebrity Solstice.

I would also consider cruises that go round trip from the new York City area as this may save you some money on airfare.

Another idea is to look at Alaskan cruises, round trip from Seattle.

A lot of folks love carnival, i am not one of them. Spend the extra and go royal carribean. Our 1st cruise was carnival but i never felt the urge to repeat it. Have tried royal carribean, princess and am booked on holland america for december.

We cruised in '07 with our whole family. Mom, Dad and 10 children. We went with RCCL on the Navigator. We loved it and the children had a blast. There is so much to do for all ages or you can chose to do nothing at all. We booked two rooms. The Royal Family Suite and an opposite interior room. This was a great choice for us as we loved the balcony and had plenty of room for everyone.

Upcoming

1/16/2010-Navigator of the Seas

Already Enjoyed

2009-Grandeur of the Seas

2007-Navigator of the Seas (with our whole family - all 12 of us)

2005-Grandeur of the Seas

Another Freedom vote here. Everyone should have a great time. Upbeat ship but not enough to make the older people uneasy. Wide range of passengers. Very personable cruise employees. Royal officiers are usually VERY friendly. Ship is big but easy to navigate. Dining rooms are elegant. LOVE the Promenade. I can hardly wait to go back.

We tried ROyal caribbean Voyager of the seas- the ship was just too large for us- I was beat when I got home from all the walking from front to back

and back to front.

Our cabins on carnival are bigger and those few sq feet made a difference for us.

We like cruising and prefer to do a few a year instead of one expensive one which is another reason we cruise carnival.

I found carnival and royal to be about the same in terms of service and food.

Princess is awesome and it has the wow factor for us from the time we board til the moment we get off.

no matter which line you chose-- you will havea great time as long as that is what you want.

For the group you've got, you have picked the right two lines. Either one would be a good choice. However, I would give a slight nod to Royal Caribbean because you have seniors going with you.

Carnival does not have family cabins, so most likely you'll end up with four cabins. Royal Caribbean does have family cabins. Two Royal Family Suites or the Presidential Suite would hold the entire group. Or even one Royal Family Suite and two other cabins. The balcony for either the Royal Family Suite or the Presidential Suite will easily hold twelve people.

I would not suggest Princess, HAL or Celebrity. The preteens and the twenty somethings would not like the passenger mix. Nor do these ships have the extra facilities that active people like (such as a water slide, ice rink, mini water park, rock wall, large screen outdoor TV ...).

Also, if you are interested in beaches, Canada and Alaska are not good choices. Yes, both have beaches, but the water is to cold to enjoy.

Hello,

I suggested that the OP look at Alaskan cruises in order to save some money on airfare, while at the same time have a great time on a cruise for 12 people.

Reading between the lines here, to me the OP is planning a cruise for 12 people with the cruise the primary objective, not warm beaches.

Hello,

I suggested that the OP look at Alaskan cruises in order to save some money on airfare, while at the same time have a great time on a cruise for 12 people.

How would they be saving money on airfare?:confused:

Reading between the lines here, to me the OP is planning a cruise for 12 people with the cruise the primary objective, not warm beaches.

Maybe you read incorrectly between the lines. They specifically said the eastern Caribbean.;)

hello,

The OP is from South Dakota. She can make air arrangements from South Dakota to Seattle at less cost than to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Unless, of course she is able to find an especially good airfare to Florida. And then there is the matter of changing planes, with 12 people. Where should they change planes from South Dakota to Florida? Do you suggest changing planes at O'Hare, DFW, ATL or some other huge airport where she is going to have to keep track of her party and luggage.

I also understand that she is looking at Eastern Caribbean cruises. My point here is that there are other places such as Alaska where she and her family will have a great time. The purpose of these threads are to answer questions as best we can, and sometimes to provide the questioner with alternatives/ideas about cruises.

hello,

The OP is from South Dakota. She can make air arrangements from South Dakota to Seattle at less cost than to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Unless, of course she is able to find an especially good airfare to Florida. And then there is the matter of changing planes, with 12 people. Where should they change planes from South Dakota to Florida? Do you suggest changing planes at O'Hare, DFW, ATL or some other huge airport where she is going to have to keep track of her party and luggage.

Are there any non-stop flights from South Dakota to Seattle? I doubt it. So the OP is going to be flying to a "huge airport" no matter which way the OP goes. There are only three children to take care of, which leaves nine adults. I don't think they are going to have a problem keeping tract of everyone in the airport. As to the luggage, they only have to worry about the carry-on luggage. The airline will take care of the checked baggage.

Archived