AF or AD on PoA??

sprout76

Hello everyone...I initially posted this question on the NCL board, but then thought I'd probably get some more help from everyone here. I'm debating on whether to splurge and do an AF or an AD. We were supposed to do an BF on a cruise in February, but we had to push it off a year...so I'm thinking of spoiling myself.

My TA thinks suites aren't really worth it unless you do an AA or an AB...but I think that I'd enjoy the extra space and the AMAZING balconies. She did point out that the AF we could get a wrap around Aft balcony instead of being up in the front with an AD. I do realize that with an AF we won't get any 'suite' perks so that has me waivering too.

The AD balcony is HUGE (190 sq ft), but it is also covered which we may or may not like. I like the idea of being aft to see everything. Geez...this shouldn't be so complicated should it?

If anyone out there has done either of these categories I would love to hear from you. I'm thinking that it is worth it to move up from a BF.

Thanks all for your help

smrtypnts...so why did you choose the AF? Any particular reason? I'm assuming you also like the idea of being aft with a great balcony for amazing views. But, any other reason? I'd tell you to let me know how it is when you go, but it looks like I'll be going before you. ;)

We've never been in an AD, only an AA, but without a doubt (IMHO) the perks of a suite are absolutely worth the extra costs, if you can swing it!

On our cruise on the PoA we had originally booked a BA, but were "upsold" to the AA....We'll never go back to a non-suite.

We're booked in an AA on the Star in March, but are seriously considering an AD for Alaska in August.

We were on the PoA in June 2009. My family of four (DS16 & DD11) was traveling with my parents (mid 60's and active) as well as my younger brother's family of 4 (2 year old twins).

We were all booked in AE. Approximately 10 days before leaving, my parents were offered to upgrade to the A2 Grand Suite for $500. I had to do some pretty fast talking to convince her to upgrade, but OMG...it was completely worth it. Their suite was beyond amazing. We got in their hot tub everyday of the cruise.

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend moving up to a suite. The perks are so worth it. Our butler, Boz, was a super nice guy and was VERY helpful. Breakfast at the Lazy J each morning was outstanding. The wait staff at the Lazy J was wonderful as well. After a couple of days, they knew the twins needed high chairs and milk ASAP and made it happen without us even asking! Getting milk in the main dinning room became such a big deal, that they would just swing by the buffet and bring their own.

We were VERY disappointed in the food overall on this cruise. I have told everyone traveling on PoA that you better plan on eating specialty restaurants if you are looking for something more than college cafeteria grade food. It was that bad...complete mediocrity if not down right nastiness. Aside from the Lazy J and other specialty restaurants, the Key West Grill made a great cheeseburger and fries. It was hot, fresh and you could make yourself a nice plate of cheese fries to share! We all had dinner in my parents suite one night, they had a dining room table that sat 8…we all grab burgers at the Key West and squeezed in…my father order a room service burger b/c he was being stubborn…and the Key West burger was so much better in comparison that Dad went down and got one for himself after waiting all that time. lol

Space wise, I do think the AE was a bit tight for a family of 4. I wish we had gotten the AC, but that was another huge chunk of change! lol

Checking in and out quickly, front of the line perks for the tenders, snacks in the afternoon, a HUGE balcony with loungers, a butler to make your priority reservations for dinner, Lazy J for breakfast and lunch…I just cannot say enough about how wonderful it was!

smrtypnts...so why did you choose the AF? Any particular reason? I'm assuming you also like the idea of being aft with a great balcony for amazing views. But, any other reason? I'd tell you to let me know how it is when you go, but it looks like I'll be going before you. ;)

i really wanted an aft/stern location and the idea of the corner (viewing from both sides) balcony was so appealing and I was able to talk my sister (and her son) into sharing with us to make it more affordable. With the 2 bedrooms, I felt it was do-able. Good luck with your decision. I wish a true suite was affordable and if I'm lucky enough that an upsell comes my way, I might be willing to give up the aft for the family suite; given the right monetary considerations. Let us know what you decide and let me know how the cabin was since you're going before me. :)

Just got off the POA on 11/14. I saw the following rooms but could not get any info on them. NCL told me all rooms were the same size, so i knocked on the door after we sailed. 8858 WOW.

8854 - 8858 BF

9556 - 9552 BD

10538 - 10534 BB

These rooms are about 75 % bigger than size of the normal room. They show to be handicap available rooms, but the person in the room I met did not request the room for that reason. (Please don't hammer me about taking a room from someone who is handicapped. I am not suggesting that.) There are several inside rooms that way too. We were in 8004 very large balcony. Can't speak for a suit :(. Enjoy.

planopearl...my TA had us booked in 8858 for that very reason...it is considerably larger than any other Balcony. I figured if NCL really needed a handicap accessible room they would have called and asked if we truly needed the rooms capabilities. But, i figure if NCL lets you book them then they have a system in place to help those who need the rooms.

We may just stick with 8858 when we go in 2011, but thought since i"m having to wait an extra year I may go all out. Although...it is Hawaii...very port intensive and no sea days so will a suite really be needed???

Thanks everyone for your advice...I'll let you know what we (and by that I mean...I) decide on. :D

I always wanted to take a cruise with no sea days....After the Hawaii trip, I think sea days are good. There is little time to "explore" the ship. If you look at is a a floating hotel you'll be real happy. I had the oppertunity to explore a couple of suites, they are really nice, but all we do is sleep in the rooms, for us not worth the money.

Just got off the POA on 11/14. I saw the following rooms but could not get any info on them. NCL told me all rooms were the same size, so i knocked on the door after we sailed. 8858 WOW.

8854 - 8858 BF

9556 - 9552 BD

10538 - 10534 BB

These rooms are about 75 % bigger than size of the normal room. They show to be handicap available rooms, but the person in the room I met did not request the room for that reason. (Please don't hammer me about taking a room from someone who is handicapped. I am not suggesting that.) There are several inside rooms that way too. We were in 8004 very large balcony. Can't speak for a suit :(. Enjoy.

8858 or 8558?? i couldn't find 8858 on the deck plans?? I was looking at 8558 for my mom who uses a wheelchair and the next adjoining cabin for me.

We ended up choosing AE suites rather than AF...these have all the same perks as AD (butler, concierge, priority tendering and dining reservations) and also have very large balconies (with two loungers plus a dining table). We did really enjoy having the the suite perks on this port intensive itinerary, especially the full breakfast and dinner option (nice to eat on the balcony) and the priority dining reservations (no waiting in line or on the phone, just pick where and when you would like to dine and you're done).

I am trying to decide on the exact same thing...AF or AD. Since there will probably only be 2 of us and I would really like to be able to go to Lazy J's for breakfast, I think I will do the AD. If our daughter goes will do the AF instead because of the separate bedroom and that Aft wraparound Balcony would also be awesome!

Archived